Pain at the movies!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

We went to see a movie last night. It was a comedy, and I was really enjoying it. But.........I cannot hold still. After I've sat there for about 45 minutes, every muscle in my body starts to ache, and feel funny. It makes me feel like I have to get up or stretch or something. Which I couldn't do.

I was sitting right next to someone, and I know I drove them crazy because I was shifting around in my seat over and over. It just ruins everything. Good thing she is my friend, and has FM also. But, for some reason she can sit still.

It almost happens in church, but because we are sitting on a pew instead of a seat with arms, I have a little more room.

I very rarely want to go to the movie theater, and now I remember why I don't.

Does this happen to anyone?

I know there's nothing that can be done about it. I get this way when I have to sit in a meeting at work too long too. It's miserable.

Kinsie
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I have this problem, too. A few years ago my husband mentioned how I can never sit still and back then I didn't realize I was doing this. Now I am very aware of it. When I go to the movies, I always take my cushion with me (I keep it in the car so I won't forget it). It doesn't stop my moving, but it does make me a little more comfortable. Sometimes when I have to sit, I try to discretely stretch my legs and arms.

I am having a lot of trouble in church with the pews being made of wood. Even with a cushion to sit on and one behind my back, I am noticing more and more that I can feel the wood pew and it is so hard to concentrate on the service when I am feeling this way. I try to stand some of the time to help with this, but it is still so hard. I really would hate to give up going to church.

Ellen
  3. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I know what you mean.

I can't go to the movies anymore unless I take a pain pill muscle relaxer and my anxiety meds so I usually end up falling to sleep and miss the movie anyway.

So don't feel bad you are not alone!
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I enjoy movies and have discovered how I can get to go to the theatre.

1. I only go on my better days. If it is a worse day, I cancel. I warn my theatre-going friends that this is always a possibility.

2. I take pain meds before I go.

3. I bring at least one cushion.

4. We get there early so that we can get the seats right behind the railing so I can put my feet up on them. There are 2 railings so I can put my feet on one, then on the higher one, then on the ground so there are 3 levels that I can shift my feet to.

If the theatre doesn't have seats by a railing, then I don't go there! Between shifting my feet on the railings and moving my cushions around, it seems that I can manage to get through most movies.

If I just HAVE to get up (and I always sit by the aisle so I can) I walk to the exit and walk around there for a few minutes. In our theatres this area is hidden from the people in the theatre so it doesn't matter.

And we always go in the afternoon so there aren't many people there - and I don't have to fight for the railing! Those seats are always the first to be taken.

Hope this helps.
    Pepper
  5. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Our new theater has a railing too, and we sat there. It did help to put my feet up, and even that wasn't good enough.

I didn't have sense enough to take a muscle relaxer before I went.

About 3/4 of the way through I took a pill, but the movie got over before I got any benefit from it.

We saw the Pink Panther, and it was really funny.

Kinsie