PAIN! Back muscles Knots & Spasms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DayByDazey, Aug 3, 2010.

1. DayByDazey

DayByDazey New Member

I guess is part of Fibro???? New to me since newly diagnosed. My muscles all over are in spasms. Especially my back just below the shoulder blades & Down over the very top of my pelvic bone on both sides from lower back & around to the sides. Neck muscle, shoulder, arms, legs. Knots! Last night took my flexeril, gabapentin, volteran, Tylenol Arthritis, Plaquenil & no help. I'm trying cold & hot pack. It helps temporarily then here it comes. I know that my inflammation today is arthritic (Also have OA & RA). Are these knots & spasms part of lovely FM???????? Thanks for any replies. Just in a daze Connie Sue
  2. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have had back problems since for decades. One of the best things I have ever learned to get rid of knots was to lay on a tennis ball and roll around on it where the knot is. It will probably hurt at first, but it does help to break up the knots. I usually put on heat for 20 min afterward too.

I am actually going to breakdown and go to a chiro today b/c I couldn't sleep last night do to back pain. It is so bad I am nauseous, so I know what you are going through. Good Luck.

3. Tizz

Tizz New Member

I'm certainly no expert but that sounds like fibro to me... Painful!

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

They could very well be Chronic Myofacial Pain Syndrome (pretty common co-diagnosis in people with Fibro and ME/CFS & often confused with fibro).......fibro causes tender points; CMPS causes trigger points (or knots)....too tired to give a better explanation rt now, but I thought I'd mention this so that you can look it up....sometimes it is referred to as Myofacial Pain Syndrome and sometimes as Chronic Myofacial Pain, and sometimes the whole thing; CMPS
  5. mulga

mulga New Member

I've had the knots for 2 decades - te only thing i found that stopped them was soaking in hot mineral springs. Eventually i moved to a spa town and am 95% pain free. Does't fix fatigue though
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I agree with a previous poster: what you are describing sounds a lot like trigger points.

People can have both fibro and chronic myofascial pain in the form of trigger points.

Some physical therapists, massage therapists and chiropractors know myofascial release and can work the affected area to relieve the tension and knotting that causes pain to radiate from the site.

I've had EXCELLENT success with PTs working on mine. You can also work on them from home after you've had them worked on by a PT, who should be able to show you how to use a tennis ball to locate a trigger point (usually skeletal muscle, and I'd argue against using a tennis ball on your abdomen because it can cause fascia problems with your internal organs) and work it out by applying pressure and waiting for it to "let go". I carry a tennis ball in my bag with me so it's available whenever I need it.

Also in my experience hot bathes, drinking lots of water, stretching the affected areas, keeping moving (slow walking, whatever you are able to do) help tremendously!

Flexeril and other muscle relaxants can help, but I wouldn't suggest them alone without the use of fascial release.

Good basic information about them here:

Basic differences between tender points and trigger points here: