Pain because of poor digestion?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjade, Nov 29, 2009.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

I have been seeing my chiropractor for about 8 years for my allover body pain, particularly my neck issues. He gets just as frustrated as I do, because we have tried everything, but the pain is still there. I think he doesn't believe in Fibro, because everytime I have brought it up, he really doesn't say anything about it. (I was dx'ed with FM by my Rheumatologist).

Within the last 7 months, I have developed severe pain in my hip. It gets so bad sometimes, I can barely walk. The pain started when I was 6 monthe pregnant, so I thought it was from the pregnancy but I still have it 4 months after the baby was born. I had x-rays and a MRI, which both came back normal. The Rhuemy just gave me injections, and they did nothing. The chiro has me doing exercises and stretches, but they don't help either.

So my chiro called me in and told me he recently went to a seminar, and they are now getting into more alternative-type treatments for their patients. He says that pain in a certain body part with no explanation can be coming from an organ or another part of the body that is not working properly. He says my digestive system may be causing a lot of my pain. I kind of believe this, because my digestion is really bad. And I always end up in a lot of pain after I eat - especially certain foods.

So he wants me to start these vitamins. He says it will help clean out my system, and hopefully help with the pain. I think one of the vitamins is Zypan (or something similar).

Anyone ever heard of this? Could taking these supplements really help with my FM?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

First, I don't have FM, but do have CFS. Many years ago my digestion was really screwed up and regular doctors did not help at all.

After several years of this I stumbled upon a chiropractor who did muscle testing (I'd never heard of this before) - anyways, I was desperate and it was cheap and I gave it a try. Over the next few years he found several things wrong with my digestion, including an inflamed gallbladder, toxic liver (too many toxins for it to handle), problems wtih my ileocecal valve, it was almost absurd.

Anyways, he helped me tremendously with various supplements made by Standard Process. Zypan is one of the Standard Process products and aids digestion.

I don't know if helping your digestion will help your pain because I didn't have that issue. But getting your digestive system working better just helps everything. If you can't digest properly, then any supplements you take won't work right because you're not absorbing them.

You might have food allergy issues if certain ones cause you a lot of pain. Or it could be that you are having trouble digesting certain foods because you're low in hydrochloric acid. Muscle testing could help determine what the problem was.

One thing that helped me overall was taking digestive enzymes with hydrochloric acid. Zypan is a supplement which will do the same thing. Before I stared the enzymes with hydrochloric acid, certain foods, especially protein - which is hard to digest- felt like they just sat in my stomach like a rock.

It does not sound like your chiro does muscle testing - otherwise he would have picked on your digestive issues and been able to help you with them a long time ago. I really recommend someone who knows muscle testing because they can determine exactly which supplements will help, and how much of them - it won't be hit and miss. If you call Standard Process customer service (google them), they'll give you the names of practitioners in your area who do this. It helped me so much, I probably would have lost my gallbladder were it not for my chiropractor.

3. kjade

kjade New Member

Thank you so much for all of that info - that is extremely helpful. I am learning more and more about this, and I am rather excited because I think it CAN help me.
    The chiro did talk about the muscle testing. He has someone in his office who does this, but I will have to pay out-of-pocket for it since ins won't cover. He wants me to set up an appt ASAP to have this done - I just have to wait until I have extra $$ for that.

He actually gave me the Zypan by mistake, and then changed it to Zymex. I really don't know what the difference is, but he wants me taking 6-9 tabs per day. So I am really hopeful this is going to help me. I have had digestive issues most of my life, and I do believe I have food allergies. For example, we have a lady here at work who bakes cakes for everyone's birthdays. She makes homemade frosting that is made with shortening, butter and powdered sugar. Anytime I eat even a tiny sliver of that cake, I become extremely sick. I get all over body pain - the last time that happened, the pain was shooting into my shoulders, arms, hands....and my stomach was so upset the entire day. I could feel the pain moving through my intestines - it was awful. But I finally realized there is something in that cake that I cannot eat. I mentioned this to my Rheumatologist (I asked him if I could possible have food allergies) - just like he always does, he just brushed me off, and told me that would have nothing to do with my FM.

Anyway, that is really interesting about that muscle testing, and what they found with you. I'm really curious to see what they might find with me, because like I said, I have had issues with digestion my entire life, it seems. And since certain foods actually CAUSE pain, there MUST be a connection. I'm sure my digestion didn't cause my FM, but if I can get my system healthy, maybe that will help with my other issues.

Thanks again Mary for your response. I really appreciate it!
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm really glad you're going to try the muscle testing when you get the money together. It has helped me so much. Many people think it's nonsense or quackery, but they've never tried it. I had been seeing doctors for 7 or 8 years with no help at all, and then I found a chiro who did muscle testing and it was amazing how much it helped.

I've seen around 4 or 5 practioners in the last 17 years who did muscle testing, and only had a bad experience with one person who didn't seem to know what he was doing.

Anyways, good luck and let us know how it goes!