Pain Doc Appointment ..... Can't believe what I was told

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by risinforce, Aug 22, 2005.

1. risinforce

risinforce New Member

I just went to my 2nd appointment w/this new pain doctor. He told me that I'm probably never going to get better than I am right now. We were discussing the fact that every morning I have to sit on a heating pad for an hour at the least to fuction. That's after I take my morning dose of pain meds.

He wants me to just keep increasing my methadone (which doesn't work on my pain, just makes me tired). He said this might be as good as it can get.

I'm sorry but I'm not willing to lay down and except that. What the hell is that? Should I roll over and die?
    I will if things don't change.

I have FMS and major lower back/disk issues. One triggers the other. I've asked for Oxycontine (long lasting) but he said to stay on Methadose. I told him I'll start taking 5 at night (sarcastically). Of course this made him irritated. I just said, It doesn't work, I could take a ton of them and it won't help. He still doesn't listen.

I've been on Methadose for 6 months (prior doc) and still no relief.

I am so angry right now. I feel like stopping all meds and being wheel chaired into his office to be taken seriuos. Who do you think knows my pain better, me or him?

Sorry for venting, What should I do? Go find another pain doc? On my 1st appointment one of the first things he said was "you know, not all doctors believe in Fibro".

I'm at a loss. I don't know if I should start over or what. My regular family doc, who is awesome w/me, is on maternity leave until October/Novemeber. My only other option is my Ortho who is doing the Physical therapy on me for my back.

Anyone have advise???

Hugs, Shawn
  2. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

sorry, I know I always harp on this one, and not all doctors are responsive to it. But it's just worked so well for me....

Anyway, if you keep a log of your pain & the meds you take, and the results (if any!) on a daily basis for a few weeks, it should show a very clear picture of what's working and what isn't. For me, it's also helped me to identify patterns and triggers which lead to increased pain levels.

Might be worth a try.....share it with your pain doctor and ask him to put it in your file. Documentation sometimes helps, because pain levels are so subjective, he may not really understand just how MUCH pain you're in.

You could reassure him that you would maintain your log if he was to switch you to a different pain med. So many doctors are fearful of prescribing, and the documentation gives them something concrete to assure them you're taking your meds properly and for their intended purpose.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record :( but it's the only suggestion I have, I'm afraid.....

Best of luck and wishing you well, nature
  3. lilione

lilione New Member

I had a MD tell me 13 yrs ago, I'd be in a wheel chair in a few years and I worked until last year. The Rheumy I have now isn't much better. Do you think they want to push us into doing something? I also, do not appreciate their attitudes, but keep plugging along something will help.
    He may not be right about believing in Fibro, but my latest MD stated, he really doesn't like treating us.
    Stand your ground and keep venting and along the way you may find the right MD for you. Gentle Hugs, Lili
  4. nje

nje New Member

I have had this stuff for 5 years,the rheumy that diagnosed me put me on ultram which is even lesser than what your taking. well i got tired of hurting and begging him for something that would work. so i just took myself back to my regular internist,(anyone can get an internist)anyway,i knew he was spmpathetic to pain because in every room in that office which has 4 doctors has a pain chart,it has smiley faces,1 smile is no pain,no. 2 it shows the smile fade just a little,no.3 it fades a little more,and on up to no. 10 where they say if you hurting that bad you need to be in the hospital. anyway he has me on percocet 10/325 at 2 every 4 hours. i hardly feel any pain. if i was you i would do some research on doctors who don`t believe in making you suffer,and those who don`t give a rip. believe me,ask around to people who has diseases that would require pain medicine;which doctor they go to. you`ll be surprised at how fast you find one,a good one also like mine who gives me pain meds but he keeps me checked out every 3 months,sooner if needed. well gotta go,hope i helped nje.
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I've been taking Methadone for several years and it helps me. What is your dosage?

abbylee