Pain Due to Sciatic Nerve

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Feb 14, 2010.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Pain Management and Sciatica

I know a lot of us here have back pain--I know I have PLENTY of it, from many different causes.

Is your back pain caused by a problem with your Sciatic Nerve?

Sciatica is a common type of pain affecting the sciatic nerve, a large nerve extending from the lower back down the back of each leg.

What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica?

Common symptoms of sciatica include:

* Pain in the rear or leg that is worse when sitting

* Burning or tingling down the leg

* Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot

* A constant pain on one side of the rear

* A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up

Sciatica usually affects only one side of the lower body. Often, the pain extends from the lower back all the way through the back of the thigh and down through the leg. Depending on where the sciatic nerve is affected, the pain may also extend to the foot or toes.

For some people, the pain from sciatica can be severe and debilitating. For others, the pain from sciatica might be infrequent and irritating, but has the potential to get worse.

Seek immediate medical attention with any symptoms of progressive lower extremity weakness and/or loss of bladder or bowel control.

What Causes Sciatica?

Sciatica is caused by irritation of the root(s) of the lower lumbar and lumbosacral spine.

Additional common causes of sciatica include:

* Lumbar spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back)

* Degenerative disc disease (breakdown of discs, which act as cushions between the vertebrae)

* Spondylolisthesis (a condition in which one vertebra slips forward over another one)

* Pregnancy

Other things that may make your back pain worse include being overweight, not exercising regularly, wearing high heels, or sleeping on a mattress that is too soft.

My sciatic nerve problem is severe and debilitating to be point that I am in a wheelchair because I can not stand or walk.
  2. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

I'm sorry to hear yours is that bad although I have used a wheelchair on occasion because of low back arthritis, a ruptured disk and PN. I only had the sciatic pain severe one time that lasted for four days and thankfully the steroids helped. Since then it's been bad but I've been able to deal with it by walking around more and not sitting as long. A few months back I just had two epidural injections and they did help some. Now it's just uncomfortable to sit long. I may need more in the future and I'm praying I won't ever need surgery because of it. Have you tried the shots or are they not an option?
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I have a power wheelchair that I use, but I do try to walk as much as I can during the day. I can't get my chair to every room, so I use it in the rooms that I am in the most. I can't get it to the part of the house that the bathroom and my bedroom are in--the most important rooms!! So I do have to walk (with a cane) to those rooms.

I don't want to sit all the time either because it just makes me more stiff. However, I can't walk far enough to make it outside. So when someone takes me to the doctor, I have to go in my manual wheelchair. When my sister takes me to WalMart, she will ride one of those electric carts out to the car and I'll get in it and ride back into the store to get my groceries. I can't go anywhere alone anymore because my inability to walk more than a few steps.

In my neck (Cervical Spine), I have degenerative disks, bulging disks, thecal sac effacement, bone spurs, paramedian disk herniation, moderate spinal canal stenosis, compression of exiting nerve root, severe cervical spondylosis, and facet arthropathy.

In my Thoracic Spine, I have bone spurs and severe arthritis.

In my Lumbar Spine, I have a pinched nerve between L4-L5 & S1, degenerative disk disease, severe spinal canal stenosis, an impingement in the anterior subarachnoid space, and severe degenerative osteoarthritis of the facet joints. I don't know if all of this in my lumbar spine causes the sciatic nerve problem, or if it is a problem all by itself????

I am also overweight, which I know puts my pressure on my sciatica.

I have had a series of three LESI's (lumbar epidural spinal injections) but they did not help. The first one gave me about a week or two of relief, but the second and third one did not help a bit--so my doctor told me not to get them anymore.

I have also consulted a neurosurgeon who advised no surgery at this time.

I have some major heart problems and I am a diabetic, so I'm not really a good surgery candidate.

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

just wanted to say I can relate......have had issues with this for many, many yrs - sometimes it's not so bad, but other times it is excruciating (at those times I would rank it as close to the worst the worst pain I have had, and between fibro, myofacial pain syndrome, tendinitis, TMJ, migraines, 15 broken bones, cracked ribs, 3 concussions, whiplash, surgeries, etc, etc, etc, I have had lots to compare it with)

anyway, to have it constantly so bad that you need a wheelchair has got to be pretty miserable, and I really feel for you....have you thought at all about trying LDN? - I know that is not what it is generally recommended for, but i do know that being on it has helped my overall pain levels quite a bit....just a thought (although you do have to stay away from opioid pain meds if you want to take LDN)....if you are at all interested in trying that i would definitely talk to your Dr further about it, though (mainly bc I have not seen mention of it being used for that)
  5. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

Gosh, that's a lot to deal with. Any idea what may have caused so much damage other than some of the things can be inherited? I injured my neck in my early twenties so that explains the neck arthritis. My low back arthritis and ruptured disk can be explained by an early injury as well as years of lifting heavy things the wrong way. My arthritis is mild and I hate to think what it will be like in future years. It's a scary thought.

I hate to ask the question but is there any way that you could work on a weight loss program? It would help your diabetes, your heart and possibly your sciatica pain. I can't speak to that as I've never had that problem and I know depression can lead to over eating which can then lead to depression. A viscious cycle that you need help for. Best wishes to you.
  6. loto

loto Member

I have had sciatica for about 5 years now. I had a severly herniated lumbar disc that i had surgery for. I'm much better off since having that surgery, but I still get the sciatica several times a week.
    One thing that helps me is doing slow stretches of my left leg. It does wonders and the pain stays away for a few days. (Depending on my activities)

thanks for sharing the post!
  7. caroleye

caroleye New Member

It usually hits me at night; especially if I've tried to do any kind of exercising.

The remedies that have helped me the most are: alternating hot & cold compresses,
    Homeopathic Hypericum by Standard Process 30C, Plum Flower has herbal pills called Solitary Hermit, and I also use a magnetic leg brace.

Occasionally I'll get to the chiropractor who will make sure my lower back, hip, etc. are in alignment.

Hope some of this helps.
  8. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

It's funny this post appeared, just came from x-ray to rule out anything to do with the lumbar spine. The doctor thinks I am dealing with sciatica, my right butt hurts and it affects my walking now.

I felt a twinge a few years ago while working in home-health and just shook it off and it got progressively worse over the last few years til I had pain trying to walk the other day.

I have overall pain ever since anesthesia that was given to me in '08 for minor surgery, a work. comp. issue, and am still fighting my way back.

The doctor told me to take etodolac-anyone ever take it?
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Re the etodolac that the doctor told you to take ....

I have taken it years ago but I did not take it for my sciatic pain. The brand name of it is Lodine, a drug used for the treatment of inflammation and pain caused by osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

I took it for osteoarthritis in my shoulders and it really didn't help me. But, everyone is different and it may give you some relief. I certainly hope so.

My sciatic pain is so severe, and in addition to the rest of my back problems, and my knee problems, I am in a wheelchair. I also have a lot of diabetic neuropathy in my feet, with one foot being numb with a lot of pain, too.
  10. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I think it's one of the worst, most uncomfortable feelings. I've had it shoot down the leg and be this constant horror. I've got back and leg pain now, but it's not right on that nerve for now, thank God. But I've had it. The doc gave me Flexeril for it. But it was really that, plus a combo of light stretching that helped and just time. It really is a horrible thing.