Pain during periods!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cookie3, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

Anyone feel a lot worse during their periods? I feel a million times worse when I am on my period and also cry alot more too. This disease has to be triggered by hormonal fluctuations sometimes, don't you think? Let me know, take care. Cookie3 from New Orleans
  2. Fleeta

Fleeta New Member

Hi Cookie,I'd read your post tonight.I'd like to suggest that you be checked for endometreosis.Not sure of the spelling,but have heard that many of us with fibro/cfs,have also had this.You might ask your Dr.I do hope you get some answers,and relief soon.Kindest regards,fleeta
    [This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]
  3. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

Thanks for asking how I have been after Katrina, it has been to say the least extremely stressful. I was lucky to not have had too much damage to my house and property, so many people were not so lucky. But, just the leaving and driving to Birmingham, Al for a weeks stay right after and then going to Baton Rouge was exhausting! I feel as though I can not shake this cold and severe stomach and headaches. I am sure they are related to the stress. Anyway, everyone down here is trying to get back to some normalcy whatever that will be and decide if to stay in this city or leave. Thanks for the concern and take care of yourself. Cookie3 in New Orleans
  4. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I have always had extremely painful periods. Not only does my regular fibro pain increase, but the cramps were horrible. I would be useless for the first two days of my period and so emotional, etc.

I tried birth control pills to help regulate my cycle and to see if it would help with cramping, but it didn't. So I started on the depo shot and it has been AMAZING!! I don't have any periods and therefore, no more painful cramps and no pain increases. I can still sense some change in hormone levels, but it isn't anywhere near the emotional breakdown like before. Oh, and it also really helped to eliminate the migraines I would get with my periods too.

The depo shot definitely isn't for everyone though, but I've had great results and no side effects.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2005]
  5. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I have heard that from several other people too. I am tempted to try the shot too. I had so many problems when I was on the pill making me feel so sick and feel like I was pregnant all the time. I was thinking maybe it would help me. I never had any problems with periods before I had my daughter, but being 3 1/2 years later it seems that my period can last up to 2 1/2 weeks of spotting, PMS before-during-and after. Cramps like you would not believe and I feel like crap most of the month. UGH!! I would love to try it, but heard that if you have a bad reaction it can stay in your system awhile. I always worry about that. I guess it might be worth the risk to see if it would help.I hear that they are working on something that stops your periods permantely. I am not sure how healthy that would be though. Thanks for the tip on the Depo.

Trish :)
  6. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I forgot to add that I really think it is hormonal. When I was pregnant and for 6 months after my FM and Cf went into complete remission. It was heaven other than the all day sickness from my pregnancy, but that was worth it to not feel pain and the tiredness. I wish I could have that again. On occassion I will gets bouts of wellness, but from what I am doing I have no idea. I have tried to keep logs, but nothing seems to connect. Now those times only come and last an hour or so.
  7. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Yeah, I have heard that it can stay in your system a while. Every year when I go in for my exam my doc asks me if I'm planning to have children so that we can discuss changing to the pill or just going off the shot.

However, I'm not planning on having children so it is okay for me at this point in my life. Some people have to wait a year or more after stopping the shot before getting pregnant, others don't have any problems.
  8. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I have terrible periods too! I usually have cramps before, during and after, and i'm usually in bed for several days because of the pain. I have a lot of back aches and leg cramps during that time too.
  9. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I start feeling like someone beat me all over with a baseball bat about 5-6 days before my period starts. That usually lasts until about 2 days into my period. I also get terrible migraines that nothing seems to help.

I hate this time of the month, and would spend it all in bed if I could. (Although sometimes even the pressure of the bed on my body hurts!) But with a full time job and two small children, that just isn't an option....

10. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I'm sure hormonal fluctuations make us feel lots worse, but I'm not sure if this DD is caused by those fluctuations.

I had my uterus removed years ago -- my "favorite" surgery to date. <grin> After two twin pregnancies my uterus had prolapsed and was coming out on it's own, so the surgery wasn't optional.

I do remember the periods though. From my very first until the surgery. I would get so unbelievably sick each cycle; and the PAIN!! My mother and my docs always thought I was putting on an act. Little did they know how much I tried to cover up what I truly felt. I have never once regretted having my hysterectomy -- but then, of course, I already had my family complete.

There are a lot of people on this board very knowledgeable in herbal remedies -- maybe there is something in that sphere that could help you?? Anyone?

Love and blessings
    Mar
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I have awful fibro pain and cramps when I get my period. Unfortunately, I'm 48 and my body doesn't have a clue what it's doing.

I've been on birth control pills to try and eleviate the some of the pain and fatigue, but it doesn't seem to be working. I didn't even have a period last month, but I sure did get the pain and fatigue.
    Tigger