Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by anchor, Oct 20, 2009.

1. anchor

anchor Member

hi. by way of introduction, i have a Dx of FM since 2002 + CFS since 2004. overall, i am doing well managing pain with OTC meds and fatigue as well as i can.

my primary treatment is chiro, which has given me a life i had lost. i am a (mother and) teacher, so i tend to crash frequently, but doing well enough for now.

i have had 2 recent upsetting pain episodes - unlike ANY FM pain, the pain is not "fibro-pain", but very disconcerting and i would like whatever input i can gain....thank you, lisa.

i have described the episodes below:

EPISODE #1:

Was lying in bed resting fine, got up to go downstairs.

Sudden, mass of pain in center of chest at sternum. Pain filled up entire upper body trunk: through both shoulders throughout entire chest, abdomen, down to hips, front and back, both sides, like a solid cement of pain.

Some radiating pain from center to upper back.

Hands, forearms numb – pins and needles – both sides, same time.

Had to breathe like late stage labor breathing: shallow, “hee-hee-hee-hee” breaths. Couldn’t take a full deep breath for entire episode.

Couldn’t sit up straight or stand up straight or walk.

Curled up on couch for entire episode, 20-30 minutes, before pain even began to subside.

Lasted 20-30 minutes, with no reprieve until episode was over. Minor pain, discomfort throughout night.

Next day, felt all over weakness, fatigue and felt the need to move gingerly.

EPISODE #2:

Sunday, October 18, 2009, 10PM

Was lying in bed resting fine, got up to go downstairs. While moving down the stairs the pain began.

Sudden, moderate chest pain – balled in center of chest at the sternum. Pain branched out from center in sharp knife pains toward shoulder blades, without losing momentum of pain at center.

Needed to breathe shallow.

Couldn’t sit up straight or stand up straight, although better than with first episode.

No comfortable position.

Lasted apx 15 minutes, still minor pain, discomfort throughout night.

Next day, feeling of weakness, fatigue.

any thoughts or experiences you can share would be great.

thank you, lisa.
  2. SwatWife525

SwatWife525 New Member

I would certainly see my doctor!

Hope you feel better.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

A lot of us tend to blame all of our pain on fibro and we are wrong to do that. When we do that, we may possibly be overlooking something serious.

I am a heart patient with many heart problems; therefore, by your description of your pain, especially what you described in episode #2, could be related to your heart. I don't know how old you are, or how young, but heart problems do not have an average age--they strike people of all ages.

If you have never been to a cardiologist, you will probably have to go to your primary care physician first. He/she can always do an EKG, etc. and perhaps want you to wear a Holter Monitor to record your heart's activity for a 24-48 hr. period. If he/she thinks you may have a problem, he/she will get you an appt. with a cardiologist. Even if you want to see a cardiologist for a second opinion, your primary doc should refer you if that is what your insurance requires.

Don't fool around with chest pain, Lisa.

After I have an attack, I'm always left with a lot of weakness and feeling really blah. I don't have as many as I used to after I got my pacemaker put in, but I still do have coronary artery spasms at times and a few other problems.

Please call your PCP soon!

4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I've had fibro for over 30 year with many different kinds of pain but have not had the kind you describe. I would definitely get my heart and lungs checked. Hope you feel better soon. GB66
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I've had fibro for over 30 year with many different kinds of pain but have not had the kind you describe. I would definitely get my heart and lungs checked. Hope you feel better soon. GB66
  6. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

Alot of us with fibro do get pain in the center of the chest. But I speaking from experience I had a heart attack @ 29yrs old and I noticed you are only 3 yrs younger than I. The pain you are describing does not sound like the fibro chest pain. I did not have chest pain when I had my Heart Attack, but I was very weak, pain in arm and shoulder, didn't know at the time since I was 29 I didn't think I was having a heart attack but I went 14 hrs without oxygen to my the back of my heart which caused damage, the back of my heart muscle is dead, good thing is if you have damage to your heart best place to have it as my heart doc put. I actually would call your Doc. immediately.
    Do you smoke? Have you ever been on birth control?
    Because I was, and I had been vomiting all day (from a gall bladder attack not aware of) which caused my artery to tear and caused the heart attack, everyone is different though. Please call your Doc.

Good Luck,
  7. anchor

anchor Member

thanks for the responses....i may get it checked out soon.

one baffling thing though that i don't understand:

if it was a heart attack, it wouldnt just resolve itself would it?

it just seems odd that i would have 2 separate episodes, weeks apart....just not sure what that's about.

pls, if there are more thoughts, then please let me know.

**i am 38. i don't smoke. no birth control. little stress, if any. don't drink. no risk factors....?

8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

if there were something like a partial blockage to your heart, the pain could come on, go away, and then return

another thing that it could be is just gas - I know that sounds crazy - most people don't think of gas as causing that much pain or in those areas of your body, but it actually can be extremely painful & the pain can be referred (not necessarily felt in the location it originates from).....and it can make taking a deep breath almost impossible....and it can last for quite some time, then go away

I would still definitely get it checked out, though bc if it is your heart, you need to know
  9. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

No I didn't mean you had one. But if you do have any kind of blockage or weak arteries which can be from not smoking or birth control also, but anyways if so it could cause those symptoms. I just think the heart is a very special thing and you need to get it checked out. Unfortanely I learned the hard way. In hind sight I did have little things happening before I had my heart attack, also as the response before it could also be gas, or gall bladder.

Just take care of yourself is all and check with doc.

[This Message was Edited on 10/23/2009]