pain from over doing it anyone..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joannie1, Apr 16, 2003.

1. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I just do not understand this sometimes. On days that I feel up to it I clean my house like crazy. The entire time i am fine, maybe a little tightness of muscles but no indication of overdoing it at all. Then once i am done and sit to relax and do what ever all heck breaks lose. I can barely move my entire back, neck, arms, or legs from the muscles spasms everywhere and the pain. it even hurts to lay in bed and I have now have a water bed. Does anyone else ever feel this way? I feel fine when I am busying myself and don't even really think of this happening. What causes this to happen I wonder. Grrr I am so tired of being sick and tired all the time. Does anyone know why our body plays such terrible havick on us?
    Thanks and take care,
    Joannie
  2. ozgran

ozgran New Member

I posted recently about overdoing it with the gardening. Felt better than I had for ages and did some gardening 2 days apart. Felt t-i-r-e-d after the first session, but not too bad. Did an hour and half pulling some weeds and generally pottering about the second day and BOY OH BOY, have I set myself back.Been in a lot of muscular AND joint pain and so-o- very tired ever since. Guess I just gotta learn. Have a great Easter, Love Ozgran.
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

for people with FM. I can't remember where I read this but it was an article about how a functional capacity assessment test for people with Fibromyalgia wasn't really helpful because we can do certain things. But, the problem is that the test doesn't show or tell how we feel after we have done the tests. Makes sense, doesn't it? I do the same thing you do, I feel like when I'm having one of those rare good days I need to make up for the time when I can't do anything, then I'm back to being almost flat on my back again. Just a big vicious circle.

Dara
  4. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

It took me years and my husbands observations to figure that one out. When I do feel like doing something, I don't realize I am over doing it until I've already overdone it. I am recovering right now from doing some gardening. I have had many "over done it again". But every single morning I feel terrible no matter what I do. My back hurts so bad I immediately get in my recliner and my husband already has my heating pad on for me. I am simply wore out at 40, and I have my kids raised and was so looking forward to traveling, but riding or driving makes me pay also later. I have seen many docs, done many procedures and still have no hope of ever getting better. I know better that to overdo it, the problem is that you don't know how much is too much at the time. I mean you don't always do the same things every time. It seems just to come with the fms/cfs...and the many other things that entails. I too am tired of being sick and tired, but at least I am not alone feeling like this. At least I have others, like yourself, to talk to about it. I know others really don't want to hear about it, and they don't understand.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We need to stop the roller coaster ride by overdoing it when we feel well. It taks sooooo much self-discipline because most of us get so far behind when we feel sick that we just want to keep going like the Energizer Bunny when we feel better. The rule of thumb is to do 1/3 of what you think you are capable of doing on a good day. Even if you keep it to 1/2, you will be ahead of the game.

This overdoing and then recouperating and then overdoing is very hard on us.

Love, Mikie
  6. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

It is so strange because I have not done this to this extent for so long and there seemed to be no warning signs for me with it on this occasion. Maybe this happens to remind us what trouble we can get ourselves into when overdoing it. Maybe we tend to forget how bad it actually can be ha.
    Love,
    Joannie
  7. truthseeker67

truthseeker67 New Member

Mikie makes some great obersevations. It does seem the more I discipline myself to take more breaks throughout the day the better I feel. However, I still over-do-it as well especially with my workouts.

Here are a few ideas that are helping me to simplify my life which in turn gives me more opportunities to rest:

*Buy salad in a bag, pre-cut veggies, yogurt, granola bars and hand fruits for quick snacks/meals-your kids can serve themselves.

*Get rid of clutter that just needs extra dusting and extra kids toys that just end up all over the floor.

*Get your kids even as young as 4 to help you clean the floors-just give them sponges, gloves, and a non-toxic cleaner (which you can spray) and dust furniture...mine love it and feel so big for helping their Mommy.

*Wash your hair every other day if you have hand and arm problems. This is better for your hair too! Also, an easy to care for style would help.

*You &/or family members can take laudry down everyday to the washing machine instead of waiting till the laudry baskets are overflowing killing your upperbody.

*Break down tasks into small parts taking time to rest or spread it out over a week.

*Prepare for worse days buy making double batches of meals - freezing the second until needed.

*Have paper plates & plastic utensils at all times.

Well...this is just to get your thought process started in ways that you can simplify your life to maximize your health. I am sure you can think of many more!

I suppose, "Moderation in everything." should be our motto!

Have a balanced day of rest and movement,

Truth

8. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Mikie is right. Also read an article on this site entitled "Promoting Recovery from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Fifty Percent Solution". I think the principle will apply for FM as well.
    Mad