Pain from pressure on skin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bigfoot, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

It's been a while since I wrote! Do any of you have pain from clothing that's too tight (socks, underwear, bra's (for you ladies), or beds that are too firm? I can't hardly stand to put on socks anymore because of the pain I'll get for about 1/2 hr afterwards. I also can't usually sleep on my bed anymore because it's just too firm and that causes pain wherever I have pressure on my skin. I have a feather mattress cover, but that doesn't help enough either. I end up spending most of my day and night on my LazyBoy -- and boy does it make me feel lazy! Have any of you found relief from this problem??
  2. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Bigfoot:
    Boy, did you hit the nail on the head. Skin sensitivity is a big one for us, I guess. My heels hurt when I sit on the recliner, and the bed with it's soft mattress is too hard on my hips. Seems like even clothes hurt too, yep the ole bra is a torture device. My feet hurt and especially after laying on my sides at nite. The sides of my feet hurt from the pressure.
    I honestly don't know what to do, except change positions and take the pressure off when I can. I use a heating pad and take pain pills, but not much helps. Sorry I can't be more positive, but maybe someone else can. let me know.
    sue
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Bad skin aches!! Even my clothing touching my skin hurts!!
    Not always but at times it acts up....just like all the other symptoms,they come and go.(only to return again)
    I'm afraid I have no suggestions for relief~ I suffer thru it!! I do use a heating pad tho,and that helps somewhat~ I think the cold irratates it more???so I try to keep warm,especially my torso and legs.
    Hope this helps!
    regards,
    Tracey
  4. bejo

bejo New Member

I know what you mean.Anywhere I touch on my body feels sore.I can't help you on what to do about it.About the only thing I do is if it gets too bad I take a tylenol.It seems like the list of problems with fibro just keeps getting longer and longer,doesn't it? bejo
  5. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I stay in bed most of time and it is so uncomfortable for me to wear pants (under or over) that I just stay in my nightgown and/or robe all the time. I know my family is probably sick and tired of the way I look - am scared to see myself in a mirror these days but that's the only way I can survive.

The few times I actually dress during a month (4 to 6) I am out of those clothes the minute I can as the pain is unbearable. I try to put on a smiley face but what with the other pains and symptoms that come with this CFIDS and FMS the smile usually leaves way too soon.

Can't wait until summer to try to find a loose dress or whatever. Have tried before but am only 5 foot tall and everything is too long for me. Keep trying, huh?

Pam
  6. pearls

pearls New Member

For the first year I had FMS, I couldn't stand to wear pants or skirts at all. My dresses had to be loose at the waist. But in this case, it was because of horrible heart-burn. It wasn't until I had this problem that I finially understood why some men wear their pants under their bellies!

The skin on the outer part of my right wrist is very sensitive, bothering me all the time. Also, my right thigh and hip used to be sensitive in the same way - and it was always warm, too.

Sometimes the pressure points on my body make it difficult to sleep except on my back (though not being able to breathe through my nose contributes to that problem, too).

Oh, yes - and my feet hard difficult to walk on when I first get up out of bed.

-Pearl
  7. clueless

clueless New Member

The very first thing I noticed was how tender my flesh was. Just a little bump or someone taking ahold of my arm was really painful.At that time no-one knew why.I sleep on a pillow top mattress with a foam topper and still hurt. I sleep with a thin pillow between my legs and that does help My hips are so tender and I have to change positions often. That is the reason it is hard for us to reach the level of sleep we are supposed to get.I`m afraid I don`t have any great answer but am going to try one of those mattress toppers that it shows the imprint of your hand. might help--hope so clueless
  8. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

That is what the bed feels like sometimes to me. I have swelling in my ankles and my feet sometimes feel like they are on fire so I know how that feels too. I have not had much problem with clothing except the bra thing and I have gotten bad about not wearing one even when I am going out to the store or something. Its embarassing but I would rather be embarassed than be in pain so if they dont like well we all know what they can do lol.

hugs,
    Jeanna
  9. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I'm sorry all of you have had this problem too! Thanks for your imput and PLEASE let me (and the rest of us) know if you find anything that brings relief. This DD sucks...but somehow we'll beat it yet!