Pain help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by psigrl, Aug 31, 2002.

1. psigrl

psigrl New Member

Hi guys,
    Long time no see-(I went back to work last June). I have CFIDS but fibro has now taken the front seat. I had to leave one job because it incapacitated me. The reason for this post is to tell you I'm finding some relief with Toradol. It's also known as "ketalorac". I've talked my doctor into writing me a standing order so that when I have a flair, I can go into the Kaiser urgent care and get an injection. It's not a narcotic-mostly "ibuprofen in a syringe". I take 60mg. and within an hour I'm feeling enough relief to get back on my feet. Please give it a try-I know how bad it can get.
    Psi
  2. psigrl

psigrl New Member

Hi guys,
    Long time no see-(I went back to work last June). I have CFIDS but fibro has now taken the front seat. I had to leave one job because it incapacitated me. The reason for this post is to tell you I'm finding some relief with Toradol. It's also known as "ketalorac". I've talked my doctor into writing me a standing order so that when I have a flair, I can go into the Kaiser urgent care and get an injection. It's not a narcotic-mostly "ibuprofen in a syringe". I take 60mg. and within an hour I'm feeling enough relief to get back on my feet. Please give it a try-I know how bad it can get.
    Psi
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Always good to hear about someone able to go back to work. Are you still in the nursing field or did you try something different? (read your profile, nice pic, btw)

Thanks for sharing what worked for you. Hope you continue to feel better with it. Best wishes. Michele
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello, glad to see you back on the board. Also that you have been about to return to work, and that you found soming that is helping you too.

Don't be a stranger, keep us updated on how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. psigrl

psigrl New Member

Thanks, I sure will keep in touch.
    Psi
  6. psigrl

psigrl New Member

I'm working "agency" and meet SO MANY nurses on my rounds around town temping in different venues. I'm astounded at how many are walking around in pain...just today I met another nurse who could hardly breathe she was in so much pain-and she's the third nurse I've met this week having trouble. Of course, we start talking and can't seem to come up with what's going on.
    About the hassle of going in to urgent care, etc. Yeah, you're right. I have standing orders for three injections at a time and yes, it is awful but the alternative is not an option- for me at least. I'm always in pain so I just suck it up-but when it hits so hard I get "frozen" and can't dress then it's time to do what I can. Once I get the kick start from the injection I start taking Advil and it seems to blunt the flair. I can't use opiates or scheduled meds because I have to work. And I live alone so I HAVE to get out there.
    Thanks for the complements by the way...I ain't not thang- just exercise and the right food. The only reason I'm on treadmill 4 days a week and some light weight training is because if I don't I get very depressed..we're talking serious blues. We women can be beautiful at any age. Don't ever buy in to that youth thing. And every woman on this board is extraordinary in that sense.
    It's so neat to be back. As some of you know, I had to sell my condo and almost starved-almost froze, couldn't afford heat. I couldn't think clearly when CFIDS hit me-I couldn't practice nursing so I layed on the couch and watched my savings and life go down the drain. Then around April I began to notice my memory was improving and I was able to retain information in recall. I think the NADH, Acetyl-L Carnitine, Beta Glucan, and all the standard antioxidants began to kick in. Wanna hear something funny? Not really ha ha funny (but great CFIDS humor). As soon as I went to work I assessed a patient to be seriously ill-I believed he had a cranial bleed from his symptom... I sent him to the ER-anyway he was HIV and HEP C positive and I got a needle stick with plenty of his blood on it. Had to go on protease inhibitors for a month and was sick as a dog. But I didn't contract AIDS. It's just such a joke sometimes...I saved the guy, though. They ended up taking him to surgery that night.
    Yeah I'm still in nursing but would like to get out.
    Psi