Pain in arms and legs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, May 13, 2012.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I've been having some pain in my arms and legs lately. Walking up the porch steps make my legs burn and holding my arms up like taking clothes off a rack in a store or holding them up like folding clothes, etc.

I know others have this problem so just looking for input and/or advice.

2. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I get that burning sensation in my legs when I do a lot of walking. I have used Ben Gay menthol cream and it seems to cool things down. I also use Bio-Freeze which is a roll on menthol gel for my neck pain. I use this daily so the neck pain does not turn into a major migraine.

Hope that helps...
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

It's sounds like nerve pain. Have you tried Nuerontin? Have heard magnesium also may help. The arms could be thoriac outlet syndrome.

Best thing for me has been the rub on pain gels.
  4. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

The pain in your legs and arms while using them may be lactic acid. For some of us it takes surprisingly minimal movement of our muscles to get "the burn" which exercisers get due to lactic acid build up. It happens to me when I use my arms raise over my head and also when I walk. I get it from time to time in my abdomen muscles too. Some days it doubles me over. The only thing that works for me is to stop the movement until such time that my body can handle the movement without the pain.

If it isn't lactic acid, then I would agree with the other poster who recommended trying Neurontin for nerve pain. It helps many but does come with a long list of side effects.

All the best to you,
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

That is it exactly. I guess there isn't anything to be done, really. You hit the nail on the head though. I walk up my 4 steps and my muscles burn so bad I have to stop and wait for it to go away. Same with the arms. If I hold them up for very long they start to burn really bad. Sucks :(
  6. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

It is annoying and sometimes embarassing isn't it? Thankfully most people can relate to the "burn" of muscles during or after exercise sessions. So relating what you feel to them in these terms gets them to at least know what you are feeling even if they cannot understand how you can get the "burn" in a couple seconds of movement.

7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

OK, now I'm confused; I thought that the arm and leg pain came with the FM. I have been diagnosed with it and my entire body aches; legs, arms, hips, everything except my head, thank goodness. I experienced migraines for years but it seems as I get older, I don't have as many.

Thank you MicheleK!