Pain in back/lower skull

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by puggymom, Mar 15, 2006.

1. puggymom

puggymom New Member

I have developed such tenderness in the back of my head, right above my neck. It's at the point I can't lay on the back of my head or I get very bad headaches and very stiff neck. When I swallow, there is a cracking noise in my ears, not a popping, but a cracking.

This is a new symptom, has anyone else experienced this? Is this another fibro thing?

2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

when I rub my arms, legs,etc.I've told my Dr.but she isn't concerned.I've mentioned it to other Drs.and they also weren't concerned.I get stiffness and Pain there but not to the extent that you do.Linda.
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

a fibro thing. A doctor should always be the one evaluating new symptoms. I can say though, that this exact neck pain was was started it all in my case.

The upper neck, base of the skull pain. It is an awful pain. A dull, neverending pain. It can even spread and become an allover headache, almost migraine- like. We have bad bones in my family, serious osteo, the "bad spot" seem to be the neck.

I just x-rayed my neck this past week and am awaiting results. I had this type of pain for many years though, then it calmed down, but I noticed the c-spine (neck) feeling bulgy, sort of, like it had overgrowth on it (Arthritis).

It is worth looking into. Do some research about arthritis in the neck, or post your question on the arthritis forum here!
    It IS a pain in the neck, I hope it is only temporary, maybe even sinus cavities in the back part of the skull coupled with muskle tension.

Hey, don't let the docs shrug this off. I notice they do that if I don't grab them by the ears and let them know how much it bothers me. Let them also know how it stops you in your tracks.

[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
  4. puggymom

puggymom New Member

I have rhuemy appointment later today. I was planning on talking to him anyhow,will definately do some research beforehand, though.
  5. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

I have had that for a LONG time! I have referred to it like a "fist in back of my head" feeling and is downright painful. It's right above my neck in the lower back of my head. If I lay on it, or when my hubby massages it, I can feel the nerves all the way to the top of my head, to my eyes and nose and it's the weirdest sensation!

The headaches are horrible and just makes my eyes hurt. My worst areas are the back of my head, neck, shoulders and back, but get pains all over, especially my hands at times. I used to think that there was another reason for all of this, but judging by what others are posting, I guess it just validates FMS/CFIDS.

I would still get it checked out if you haven't done so already.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  6. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

YEP, WE ALL HAVE IT. I TAKE A COUPLE OF EXCEDRIN MIGRAINE EVERY MORNING IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO FUNCTION. I ALSO TAKE XANAX AT NIGHT. JUST A SMALL DOSE. ALSO HAVE BEEN TAKING ION THERAPY ON MY FEET AND AM FEELING SO MUCH BETTER. DO NOT EXPECT TO FEEL PERFECT EVER BUT ANY RELIEF IS WONDERFUL. HOPE THIS HELPS. HUGS VERTIE
    PS, ICE ALSO HELPS. [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]