Pain In Circle Around Chest...ANYONE???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by findmind, Jun 15, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

Gee, I'm not sure what this is! Both my SO and I have pain in a circle around our chests, both front and back, with stabbing "lurches" of it in different places at different times!

It is so, so different from GERD; there are no problems breathing; it doesn't feel heart related at all.

Her dr. is 20 miles one way, mine 25 the other and we don't know what to do. Mine will be a 4 hr wait, on Fri., if I 'walk in' tomorrow. Hers would be about 3 hrs.

And of course the weekend is here!

Anyone have this type of pain? What the heck IS it?

findmind
  2. jasminesmema

jasminesmema New Member

findmind,
    I have similar episodes in the past. No shortness of breath but it was uncomfortable breathing and the pain was intense. I thought I must have a cracked rib. It wasn't GERD, and I knew it was not, or didn't feel it was heart related. My doctor said it was costochondritis (inflammation of the chest wall muscles). He put me back on Celebrex which I had stopped and gave me a 10 day course of Prednisone which cleared it right up. Hope this helps!
    Peggy
    e
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Peggy, why in the world would my roommate and I have it at the exact same time????

We both do have Fm and Cfs, but to get the same thing, esp. since our pains always seem to wander and be just about anywhere at any given momemt.

Is costochondritis contagious? She had it first, the next day me.

Thank you for the quick answer...
    Anyone else?

findmind
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

Both could be the culprit? Or a chest cold?

Let us know and sending you gentle hugs...........Susan
  5. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I sure have had this similar pain. I have gone to the ER thinking it was my heart. They dx with chest wall. I said yeah I know it is chest wall pain duh......
    Peace
    Michelle
  6. livin4him

livin4him New Member

and this is one of my symptoms. Could explain why you both have it. It is very contagious. Also called mycoplasma pneumonia. I have been deathly sick from it and the antibiotics the doc has me on.
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

Thank you all, am going to dr. Fri. am. But will NOT take prednisone! Maybe antiinflammatories, or antibiotics if that's what I need.

Nanjee posted costochondritis article, its very good, and I thank her here and there, lol.

Just sweet people on this place!

Love ya,
    findmind
  8. fibrofirend44

fibrofirend44 New Member

I am not a medical person, but I do suffer from COSTOCHONDRITIS, and have been to the ER for it before. They pressed down on my chest area (Left, top of breastbone, and surrounding area) and it was hurting like I cant describe. That is when the doc told me it was costo..or chestwall pain. It feels like an inflammation, and that is exactly what it is. If I were you , I would have it checked professionaly anyways.
    For me what helps is applying a heating pad and then a cold pack. I like the heat the best. Sometimes it flares up when you do certain movements, perhaps like moving furniture, even sweeping or mopping the floors. Any repetitive action, or heavy lifting will bring it out. I also get pain when I drive for a long time. I hope I helped some. usually I just take Motrim or the pain meds I take for fibro help too. I take ULTRAM. annita
  9. baanders

baanders New Member

it's called pleurodynia which means chest pain. It's fibromyalgia in the muscles around the rib cage. Do not be alarmed. I'm sure you've been tested for lupus and RA, because that can affect the lungs. Otherwise, don't worry. That will make it worse. Don't strain and sit/stand in odd positions that you notice make it worse.

baanders
  10. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

I have this most of the time. And dont let me sneeze because it just makes things worse with the pain. I am on anti inflammatory drugs, Ultram and Diclofenac.

I find that one of those long pillows with my legs wrapped around it and it pushed into my chest is very comforting when I sleep.
  11. cczub

cczub New Member

I tie my fibro to the time I first started getting chest pains that lasted for 2 years until I found the right doctor. It was finally Dxed as pericarditis which is an inflamtion of the the linning of the heart. The pain would be horrible at times and when it came, if I took any more than a shallow breath the pain would double.... I wound up on a treatment of steriods and some anti- mylaria drug for a while. IT cleared up and came back several times which I usually did 10 steriod packs to treat it.

Knock on wood but I haven't had a flare up in some time now. Unfortunatly I started with the symptoms of Fibro shortly after the final bout of it. I took close to a year for the doctor to finally DX the Fibro and close to 2 years to find the pericarditis... It can be Dxed by having a simple echocardiogram.

Good Luck!
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have been having it because I have a bronchial problem on the right side. It started with an outbreak of Red Tide here and hasn't gone away. I've been taking ibuprophen and icing the area near the sternum. If I can't get rid of the inflammation, I will have to see my doc and get it injected. That works really well but I hate to have steroids if I can avoid it.

Try icing the area instead of using heat and do whatever you can to reduce inflammation. Good luck. BTW, I do think that we should call the doc when he have new symptoms and not just assume they are related to our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most of us who take Klonopin are not zoned out. We take the correct dose to help with our problems. In fact, a small dose will actually help many of us to navigate in a world which would otherwise incapacitate us with sensory overload.

I hate to see misinformation here because it can cause someone to attach a stigma to taking certain meds or even scare them from taking a med which might help.

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My daughter has a good chiro too and she adjusts her ribs along the sternum. In my daughter's case, they get out of alignment when she runs and it causes the inflammation. The treatments clear hers right up. I'll have to mention the ultrasound. Thanks.

Love, Mikie
  15. kb101

kb101 New Member

costochondritis is not contagious.

You and your friend are just cycling at the same time.
    While your pain might be caused by Fibromyalgia or
    Costochondritis I would also suggest that you start keeping a record of you Blood Pressure and Heart Rate when you have these episodes.
    I tend to have similar pains and found out that part was related to FM and part was related to a circulatory condition that the Cardiologist treats with medication.
    My actual heart is fine. It's the circulation of the blood that is causing problems.
    It might take more than one specialty of Doctor to treat the pain. I am on Verapamil(pain relief for the chest) and a few other meds from the Cardiologist and for pain, from my other Doctors, I get Tramadol or Hydrocodone for the really bad days.
    Hope this helps.
    KB
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hayley, no need to apologize. If Benzos don't agree with you, it would be nuts for you to take them. For some of us, though, they are a God send. It never fails to amaze me at the different reactions we all have to meds. Hope you can get help for costo. It is so annoying and really cuts into sleep.

KB, costo isn't contageous but some things which can cause inflammation in the chest are. It's possible for two people to get the same bronchial virus and have costo as a result.

Love, Mikie
  17. kb101

kb101 New Member

Thanks Miki for the information.
    It's scary to think that we could catch a virus that creates so much havoc in our lives.
    KB
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Allergens cause an inflammatory response from the immune system. This can cause the inflammation in the chest wall.

Love, Mikie
  19. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

It is odd that you and your roommate would have this at the same time. I hope you let us know what the doc said.

Pain in a circle around my chest was my second symptom and scared the beezezus out of me. I had been to the doctor 2 days before with a pain under my arm that he though might be a pulled muscle in my chest wall.

2 days later I got up and had that very pain you describe, in a band around my chest and ran back to the doc that day. He found another spot in my back that about sent me off the table and sent me for an xray that showed some arthritis in my back but not enought to cause the pain I was having.

Soon after that I was dx.