Pain in cool weather/Fatigue in warm weather???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, Sep 15, 2009.

1. steach

steach Member

Hi Friends-

Do you find that you have more pain in cool/cold weather and more fatigue in warm/hot weather? I live in a state which has all 4 seasons. Fall and Winter are the worst for pain; Spring is "tolerable" for pain and fatigue; but, Summer is the worst for fatigue.

Lately, all I want to do, and CAN do, is sleep, sleep, sleep,........ When I wake, I do a few things and I'm ready to go back to bed. My pain level is not very high at this time but I have "zero" energy. I have declined invitations to visit with friends, my house is in disarray, I don't have the energy to fix dinner more than 1 or 2 nights per week, laundry is piling-up, mail and paperwork are scattered with "intentions" of getting to it, -and the worst part- I am not taking pride in my appearance anymore. I would never have left the house without make-up, my hair fixed, decent clothes on- but now I just don't have the energy to do these things.

On days when I have pain AND fatigue, I am a real mess and look like one, too!

I do take thyroid med. My doc upped it from 75mcg to 88mcg. Would this be causing my fatigue? How long will it take for the med to become effective?

I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions/comments.

2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

You described it perfectly! I have extra pain in the fall and winter and in the summer, so so tired I don't want to go anywhere. In the earlier days of this dd I used to really look forward to summer and spring. I felt energetic in the summer and had a more hopeful outlook in the spring. I always had increased pain in the fall and the latter winter months.

The sad thing now is, I have so many allergies that spring is my most dreaded season. I don't go outside but still react to all the pollen. We have lots of trees. Even when the neighbors mow their grass, I have to turn off my a/c for awhile. I used to live in Fla. and did better down there. I think because there are no abrupt weather changes. The four seasons here really keep my system in an uproar all the time. I just start to get used to one temp. and then another comes along. Also, the nights are about 20 degrees cooler than days. In Fla. it was the same night and day HOT! Sorry you're having so much trouble. One other thing, you made me laugh when you said the worst part is that you don't care as much about your appearance. I can relate to that. I was getting dressed to go to the dentist today and I ran a comb through my hair, put on a little lipstick, made sure to use deodorant and thought to myself "well, at least no one can give me one of those 'but you don't sick" looks. Boy do I. GB66 [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2009]
  3. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

That's my pattern - HURTING when it's cold, EXHAUSTED when it's hot. And summer humidity/winter dampness intensifies the effect even further.... my best days are the ONE WEEK of spring we have here - usually in early April - and October is usually pretty good.

That said, I'm having a Major Pain Event right now (to go along with the heat-fatigue) that's lasted about 10 days now. We've been having a lot of fronts sliding through - i.e., sudden changes in barometric pressure - and that gets me every time. :-(

Yep - you should see my house... laundry piled up everywhere, dirty dishes in the sink, clutter..... bleah. Just can't do it right now.

Lee Ann
  4. loto

loto Member

to all four seasons. I live in Southern Illinois. Lately it's been cooler than normal, especially at night, and I can tell a big difference in my pain level. I had been doing pretty good before this cooler weather, waking up in the morning and not feeling too bad, but now every part of my body hurts. And stays that way until I get enough pain med in me to take the edge off.
    I've also been more fatigued lately, but I'm thinking I have thyroid probs, and will be seeing an endo for that soon. I'm hoping that it what the problem is, and I will get everything leveled out. Hey, I have to hope and dream right???? LOL!
    So, I feel for you! Seems no season makes us feel somewhat "normal"!

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

can totally relate - weather plays a huge role in how I feel - if it would stay sunny, between 60 - 72 with low humidity, and no allergies, then I would be at my best (which is still not near my old best, but you know what I mean)
  6. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I can identify. It's disheartening to be feeling so exhausted.

I was wondering, do you feel particularly depressed? Sometimes depression can add to our worn out feeling. And depression is certainly a part of these illnesses. Who wouldn't be depressed having to deal with pain and fatigue day in and day out? Have you talked to your doctor about this? It's just a thought.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
  7. YES YES YES! Thats me and it gets so tiring, tired/pain.
  8. steach

steach Member

I saw my rheumy yesterday and we discussed several things about the fatigue.

I have recently moved back to my home-town with my children and fiancee over Labor Day weekend). My doc was describing "major life changes" to me- but this is a happy one, nevertheless, exhausting and stressful. I didn't lift one box or piece of furniture.

Since moving, I haven't been in the same routine of taking my blood pressure med and thyroid med. Doc said missing the thyroid med can cause such fatigue -and- a lot of hair loss.

Also, napping in the afternoons and LATE afternoons, can cause my sleep cycle to be out of kilter. He also told me, that even though I am not doing hard physical work, and I am a bit sore/stiff, it can cause fatigue to compensate for dealing with minimal pain.

I am going to wait a few weeks to see what happens- hopefully I will have some improvement.

Even before all this, he and I had discussed pain during cold months and fatigue during warmer/hot months. At this time, everything is exacerbated.

I have had to turn-down jobs for work (substitute teaching) because of how I feel. I just hope and pray that I will return to some odd sense of normalcy.

I will have to research the T3 and T4 thyroid process, though.

I appreciate your responses very, very much. You are all wonderful!

Thanks again,
  9. steach just curious are you on any meds for fibro? In our area there are only 2 groups of rheumatogists . Mine really believes in fibro but so far nothing really has helped my fibro . He wants me to start savella but I don't do well on meds so I waited and asked the neuro dr about it and she had no problem with it, I may try it down the road. My family dr thank goodness gives me vicodin in limited supply and that helps somewhat. Now the fatigue nothing helps, caffeine a bit but then it seems to irritate my bladder. One thing after another. geesh!

Maybe just the stress in moving which I cannot imagine with fibro/cfs I am sure would be exhausting !!! But I think it is normal to experience what you do with fibro with weather chg.

Good luck and (by the way Ohio VALLEY (in your bio), what cities does that include or is it near PA or Kentucky? just curious as I read your bio) don't have to be precise as this is a anonyomous board . I am bad with geography! lol!
  10. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Same here but I recently discovered for me that if I spend time out in the sun during the Spring/Summer seasons, it actually helps the fatigue (once I get recharged and only on days where it isn't blazing hot outside).

The last two years of spring/summer I have tried to spend more time with friends and family or doing something outside (previously I hid and ran from any sun contact hahaha) and now I have so much more energy in those months. It might be something worth trying. It did take a couple of weeks for me to notice a difference but now if the sun is out, so am I, but with lots of sunscreen on because I am very pale skinned and not looking for a tan. hahaa

11. jole

jole Member

My cycle...I love summer and the sun. The sunshine on my body helps relax the muscles, and I just feel better emotionally also. The only problem is I don't sleep in the summer..never before 2 am and up at 6, so never rested, but don't seem to miss it as much. I get out and sit on the porch, and we even go to the lake a few times during the summer. I love the sun and water combo!!! It's so totally relaxing. But after a weekend there, I come home and totally crash for 4 days!!

In the winter, the pain is horrible...wears me down both physically and mentally. I'm more depressed (due to the pain) and sleep A LOT. Guess I make up for the summer...haha. Also, in the winter, I'm just sooo cold and can never get warm, no matter what. I never leave the house to go anywhere but to the doctor...just can't take it. Going from the bed to recliner is a struggle..and a shower can be a full day's work!
  12. MsE

MsE New Member

In the winter we have a lot of cold rain, and my legs hurt constantly. In the summer the heat drains what energy I have. Fortunately, we don't have very many really hot days, but two of my daughters live south of me where it gets extremely hot. I don't visit them often in the summer. They have to come to me. My third daughter lives in Croatia. Summers in Rovinj are very very hot and muggy. Forget that! Of the two climates, I can deal with the cold better than I can deal with the heat.
  13. steach

steach Member

I do live in the Ohio Valley area (Steubenville-Pittsburgh area) and have been very fortunate to find a wonderful rheumy. He writes articles in the JOURNAL OF RHEUMATOLOGY or RHEUMATOLOGY JOURNAL, so he is up-to-date with the latest meds, treatments, etc.

A while back, I was getting IV vitamin therapy; I get trigger-point injections; take pain med; and have also started Cymbalta. Since I do not have insurance, I can't afford other meds/treatments at this time. I also see my chiropractor for adjustments.

I have tried meds for the fatigue, including Provigil and others, but they didn't seem to help. Now, I take Adderall in small doses (2.5mg) two to three times per day. Some days it helps and other days it doesn't. I guess it depends upon how severe the fatigue is at the time.

I saw a neuro several years ago for migraines (which I still get). When I discussed Fibro/CFS with him, he directly told me that he does NOT believe in Fibro/CFS. He told me that if I wanted to continue to see him for migraines, that I needed to forget about seeing a rheumy or he would not see me as a patient!!!!! I told him to go to *ell and left his office and never went back!!

Also, when the cool/cold weather sets in and we have the time change, I do get seasonal depression.

I wish I could live somewhere near the ocean where there is blue water, white sand, a consistent temp, and a tropical breeze!! LOL That will never happen unless I win the lottery! I function at my best in the Spring when the weather is in the upper 60's to mid 70's.

Have a great day!