Pain in fatty tissue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Tiana, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Tiana

Tiana New Member

I have lupus and fibromyalgia. I get good info from my rheumatologist re: the lupus, not so so good information and response re: the fibromyalgia. I have not really hung around fibromyalgia boards or people before so I only know what I read so I have a question which may be "simple stuff" for you all.

Besides just the normal pain from lupus arthritis compounded by fibro, I have noticed an increasing amount of pain that seemingly in the fatty tissue. It is particularly prevelant in my upper legs,buttocks and upper arms,where I have more fat. It is EXTREMELY painful just to touch ... so much so, that I have had to give up my gentle massages which had been helplful. It is not a burning sensation but more like a badbruise would feel if you pressed hard on it. Is this possibly a symptom of that myofacial pain I've read about? Mostly I read that it causes bands of tension and sometimes spasm, however. This problem does not fit into that category at all...it seems to be, as I said, in the fatty tissue which also feels somewhat like cellulite looks (bumpy) except I am not and never have been,overweight.

Thanks for any info.
  2. Tiana

Tiana New Member

I have lupus and fibromyalgia. I get good info from my rheumatologist re: the lupus, not so so good information and response re: the fibromyalgia. I have not really hung around fibromyalgia boards or people before so I only know what I read so I have a question which may be "simple stuff" for you all.

Besides just the normal pain from lupus arthritis compounded by fibro, I have noticed an increasing amount of pain that seemingly in the fatty tissue. It is particularly prevelant in my upper legs,buttocks and upper arms,where I have more fat. It is EXTREMELY painful just to touch ... so much so, that I have had to give up my gentle massages which had been helplful. It is not a burning sensation but more like a badbruise would feel if you pressed hard on it. Is this possibly a symptom of that myofacial pain I've read about? Mostly I read that it causes bands of tension and sometimes spasm, however. This problem does not fit into that category at all...it seems to be, as I said, in the fatty tissue which also feels somewhat like cellulite looks (bumpy) except I am not and never have been,overweight.

Thanks for any info.
  3. metoo110

metoo110 New Member

i'm certainly not an expert, but i've been dx,ed with mps. my legs also hurt as you have decribed (and other parts of my body also). mine is in the back and sides of my legs. the front of them don't hurt in the same way.

and yes there are LOTS of bumps and kind of ropey spots. it seems like these spots hurt the most. mps is very simular to fibro. mps, the way i've learned is that the fascia (the lining around the muscle) is tight, AND IT HURTS,especially when we press on it.

there's lots of info here, and you might want to check out the library.

wishing you the best,
    donna