Pain in forearms, wrists, hands upon waking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elanor, Oct 25, 2006.

1. elanor

elanor New Member

Does anyone else have pain in the forearms, wrists, and sometimes hands when you wake up (or are trying NOT to wake up)? After 12 years into FMS, I was beginning to think the covers on our bed were too heavy, but I have the same problem in summer (no covers or just a sheet). I count my blessings that I can get out of bed at all, and have other pains at other times (my husband says I'm a "human barometer"), but it would be nice to know if this is a problem for anyone else, if anything helps, and why it happens. If we know why anything happens with this syndrome! I don't sleep on my tummy (any more) or with my arms above my shoulders (any more) and I use an orthopedic pillow on top of a regular pillow. Can anyone help me get a clue? I'd appreciate it!
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Elanor, nice to meet you.

I have had FM for a long time. I have a lot of problems with my hands, they swell, they ache and they feel weak. I have trouble opening a jar, and have bought an electric can opener.

I take Arthrotec with helps a lot with the pain in my arms and my feet and ankles too. At the last appointment with my Rheumy she mentioned that I have OA as well as FM. So this may account for the pain in my hands, wrists, ankles and feet.

hugs Redwillow
  3. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Eleanor,

I can relate, often depending on the weather or my flare state (or lack of) my hands are stiff and painful in the morning sometimes my elbows even hurt. I have had FMS/MPS for 6 years and for the most part my symptoms have not instensified. I try to take a warm shower to alleviate the pain and stiffness.

Have you had these symptoms only recently or for 12 years, do you have any swelling in your finger or wrist joints, if these are new symptoms I would check in with the doctor.. If not only thing I can say is its part of the way you manifest your FMS.

I think you will find many of us out there with this problem....

Take Care,

Suz45
  4. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

Yes I have been there too. SO bad that I have awoke and broken out sobing because of the pain and numbness. My Dr. sent me to CVS and I bought wrist splint to sleep in and they have saved my life. I have been DX carpul tunnel along with FM. These wrist splints keep your hand and wrist from cutting off the blood circulation from arm to hand. Go Get them Today! THEY WORK!!
    Jessica
  5. meowee

meowee New Member

EVERY morning my hands, arms, wrists and shoulders hurt no matter what I take or do. I use heating pads and meds, but they do no good.

Good luck and God bless
  6. janie056

janie056 New Member

Yes, I have lots of pain in my hands, fingers, wrists as well. In the morning more than any other time. I wish I knew why it happens but it just does.
    If I get into a nice warm bath first thing in the morning it helps quite a bit, and I take an anti inflamatory med for it.
    I can relate to the human barometer, my husband says the same thing!

Hugs,
    Jane

[ advertisement ]