Pain in Hip Socket?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jlouise, May 10, 2003.

1. jlouise

jlouise New Member

For the past few months, I have had severe pain in my hip, sometimes radiating into my leg. This seems to be a new manifestation, or may be unrelated. It is worse when I walk more than a few blocks in length. Anyone have the same problem? Thanks!!! jlouise
  2. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I have the same thing in my left hip. I have not been able to sleep on my left side for several years but thought I had arthritus or something like that. Then after my fms became full blown & dx'd, I am having the same type of pain you describe, getting worse the more I walk. It is not constant, but when it hits, look out. Don't know if it's a symptom of fms or not. My doc did give me a shot in that hip but it didn't help.

My PT said to sleep w/pillow (I use body pillow) between knees & feet so my left hip & foot are aligned while asleep & it helps take the pressure off the hip. I do notice if I don't use my pillow the hip is worse.

So I guess that was a long way of saying that I don't know if it's related or not! :)

Take care......Kathi
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sleep with that pillow between your knees. Since I have been doing this I have less pain in the hips.

Also sleep on the side that does NOT hurt.

Hope you feel better soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. kezza_nottm

kezza_nottm New Member

I have suffered severe pain in my hip and my pelvis, i think ot is related to cfs and FM I have to sleep on my right side to be able to sleep.
  5. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I forgot(can you imagine I would forget something?)LOL to mention that I do lay on my right side (side that doesn't hurt) & have a pillow propped against my back & when I'm tired of lying on my side I can sort of "recline" back against the pillow. If I allow myself to lay totally on my back I wake up with a baaadddd headache & neck ache.

Hope these tips help your pain.

Take care.......Kathi
  6. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

before i was diagnosed 15 yrs ago, i experiences a burning sensation in my hip joint. this still happens. always wondered what the heck it was. now what ever is bothering me i figure its the fm LOL
  7. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I had it for quite awhile. It didn't radiate anywhere. It was just in my right hip joint & felt like bone against bone, really painful for a long time. Didn't even bother to go to the doc for it, because I know they probably wouldn't have looked into it. dolsgirl
  8. jka

jka New Member

i have it in both hips.haven't found much to help it.pain pills do nothing.hot emu oil helps some.

kathy c
  9. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

the last few years in my right hip. It causes me to limp, thus making the left side hurt! I can't sleep on the right side when it happens and have to really rest but sometimes that does not even help. I finally went and saw and orthopedic surgeon about it and he said it was bursitis (sp? oh, who cares!) and gave me a cortisone injection in that hip. It hurt, I won't kid you, but man did it take the pain away! Whenever it starts to bother me I take Orudis KT (OTC) and if that does not do the trick I go back to see the ortho and he gives me another injection.

Try the Orudis, but please check with your doctor if you are on any other meds, first.

Best of luck to you.

~A
  10. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I have pain in my left hip; if I lie on my back, my left leg goes numb. Dr says it's sciatica, but I can feel knots in my butt and when I massage them it gets a little better. I injured my back about a year ago and this has gotten worse since then. I also just found out I have osteoporosis in the neck of my left femur, but doubt that this is related to the pain.

Jan ^v^
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It could be a bad hip, especially if the pain is toward the front of the hip area. Any new symptom should always be checked out just in case. I also have hip pain on one side, but it has been checked out by my docs. I have osteoarthritis. The Guai treatment has helped with not only soft-tissue pain, but it has helped my OA as well. Sleeping with a pillow between the knees does help as does putting a pillow under the knees when you sleep on your back. Exercises to build muscles also helps take the stress off the joints as does keeping the weight down. Some get relief from glucosamine and chondroitan (sp?). Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  12. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

jlouse,
    I"ll Tell ya As Soon as i read you"r post ,I didn't even read what everyone else Wrote, Lisen to this ,I'v had sevrale sergery"s on me knee's Anyway , I have had hip pain for yr"s thought it had to do w/ knee's ,went to Dr had MRI Done , Hear ,W/ is not related ,But from the scare tissue he said I'v had a broken leg for a yr or soo, Can you beleave it ,This of corse was before I FINALLY got on a Good pain med ,for my DD, anyway i told my Family Can" you beleave this ,I sure Couln't , Go"s to show how much pain we are in , to have a broken bone and Not know it Of corse my hubby ,That dosent have a clue, Just said (Oh ) It was probly just frac,,!!!!!
    But yes I have notice on this Board alot of us have Hip ,Pain mine is in my Left hip ,And I'v seen alot of us w/l-Hip pain,
    I pray (jelly"s bio"s on us get herd ,I hold out hope if not for us ,But for other's SOMEOne will find a cure ( And I do hope It's reverable,
    God bless,My (spelling isn"t good but I write thing"s the way they sound
    Good post Cindy
  13. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

for a long time I had terrible pain in my right leg from toe to hip. I got diagnosed with FMS/CFIDS almost 3 years ago and the right side just keeps getting worse and worse.

Then all of a sudden a few months ago the left leg started acting up. I thought, oh no, now I'll be really messed up. It's true. I used to be able to get comfortable on the left side to sleep occasionally but since taking Vioxx have acid reflux and can't breath as well on that side and then with the hip and leg beginning to hurt all the time have lost any place but flat on back to sleep. Flat on back just makes the neck/head pain worse. I cannot afford any of the pricey mattress covers, etc, etc. Isn't this wonderful??? Then occasionally I'll not be able to breathe to top it all off and wake up fighting to do that. Does it ever end??

I love these subjects - it just makes me realize regularly that I am not alone. When I cannot sleep at night I pray for folks like me who hurt so much they don't know what to do. Somehow I end up sleeping on the 3rd or 4th night (always forget to take that Benadryl!!) a little and that's how I get thru life.

Love
    Pam
  14. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

It can't hurt to get it checked out. There are so many possible causes, some of which would need treatment. I had a hip replacement at age 33 from an unrelated cause.
    Madelyn
  15. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Pain in the hip. YES to that! I've also had bursitius and had shots for it, which have helped. My hip also goes out of joint often. Great doctor showed me how to pop it back in place. Knowledge is power, so have it checked out for sure.
    H
  16. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

for several months now, it did become really bad at one time and has improved since I started on Flaxseed Oil,- could just be a coincidence, but then i`m on so many supplements who knows what`s working...
    It`s improved but still hanging on in there.

Funny how it`s always just the one side?

Pat.

[ advertisement ]