Pain in my hands help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butler86, Jan 25, 2006.

1. butler86

butler86 New Member

I have had horrible pain in my hands lately and my doctor said that fibromyalgia will not cause your hands to hurt. Has anyone ever have pains in there hands and if so is there a web site I can print that I can show my doc?
    Chelle

WHAT KIND OF A DOCTOR SHOULD I GO TO FOR FIBROMYALGIA????
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2006]
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Chelle:
    I have never heard of Fibromyalgia causing such hand pain, although it is probably possible. Why not find a 'hand' site (it must be out there somewhere) and pose a question there also.
    In the meantime I hope you come out of this misery.
    Hugs,
    NYroFan
  3. mariee

mariee Member

My hands ache/burn all the time...one of the worst areas for FM pain for me...what type of doc do you see?
    Marie
  4. butler86

butler86 New Member

he is just a family doctor
  5. maripat

maripat New Member

Hand pain is associated with fibro. Morning stiffness in hands and sometimes feet can be due to fibro.
    I use those little hand warmer and also a parrifin wax dip for my hands.
    hope this helps a little.
    maripat
  6. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I too get hand pain ..worse in the am but it seems to be coming from my wrist and the thumb joint..sometimes it goes away but rears its head late afternoon.

luck to you

linz
  7. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

of course fibro can effect your hands. my hands have hurt in the past and so has the hands of everyone i know who has it. it can effect your entire body - esp areas where the muscle attaches to bone. the hands are fuill of muscles and small bones. and since you use your hands a lot, hands can hurt easily. my hands hurt when i was first started getting symptoms but in the last year I have not flared as badly as i did in the begining.

either get a new doctor that knows more about fibro or ask your doctor to rule out osteoarthritis or any other inflamatory conditions. if you don't have any of those, it's probobly just the fibro. ride it out and take it easy. tell your body you know it's the fibro. excersice and take some meds and try to sleep well. hopefully your body will overcome the flare.
  8. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

in terms of docs , it doesn't really matter if it's a rheumatologist, a neurologist, an osteopath, a physiatrist, a psychiatrist or a gp. as long as they have some experience treating fibro and won't treat you like you're crazy. Patient, experienced doctors who will make time for you. Not someone who will rush you out of the office in 10 minutes. Someone with a really good bedside manner and a willingness to treat a pretty hard to treat condition. look around, ask, talk to people who have the same condition in your city.
  9. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

YOUR DR. DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. My hands hurt all of the time. Any & every place you can possibly hurt, you do. Your best bet is a rheumatologist. It sounds like you have just found out you have fibro. I know that some people go to neurologists. Let me know how it goes.

Oh, there is one thing that feels so good. It is a perifan hand waxing. I don't remember what it is called, but you can have it done at some of the nail salons. You dip your hands in this hot wax, pull it out & cover them in seran wrap. I have a kit that I bought. It feels so good. Anyway a pharmasist should be able to show you where to find one.

PIRT
  10. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

HI, YOUR DR. IS DUMB AND UNINFORMED ON FM. SOUNDS LIKE HE DOESNT CARE ALL THAT MUCH. HAND PAIN AND ALL THAT GOES WITH IT IS VERY REAL AND I DEAL WITH IT CONSTANTLY. ESPECIALLY IN THE AM. HAVE YOU TRIED XANAX? I USE IT AND ALSO A MIGRAINE PRODUCT FROM OVER THE COUNTER ALSO ASPRIN. IN ORDER TO GET TO MY PART TIME JOB. GOOD LUCK AND HUGS, VERTIE
  11. kch64

kch64 New Member

FM hurts all over, hands, feet, back, legs, head
    hips

I had it bad until i went to the chiropractor. he worked on my neck and my hands don't hurt nearly as much.

sorry for your pain. I hope it goes away soon.

Yes....it can go away, just remember that.

Kendra
  12. MKlady

MKlady New Member

My FFC doctor said my hand pain is probably coming from my neck, which echoes what someone else said...To rule out other issues I'm supposed to get a referral for cervical spine x-rays and nerve conduction study.

It's my thumbs from wrist to top joint that hurt the worst - not the joints but between them and my hands are stiff with somewhat limited range of motion. I also agree that heat, however you can get it, helps.
  13. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

but my hands and my feet used to be excruciatingly painful. It was in the upper part of my hands (and feet too) and down into my fingers. My doc thought it was fibro, or more likely, myofascial pain--contracted muscles pulling on joints and bones. I think this is accurate in my case. He said that it wasn't arthritis, but he said that if it continued in the contracted way, it eventually would cause arthritic symptoms.

I hope that you can get yours calmed down. In order to determine if it myofascial pain, you might check a source such as Claire Davies Trigger Point Self-treatment manual, or Travell and Simons. You might be able to deactivate some trigger points to help your hands feel better. For example, if you are having pain gripping with your thumb, oppositionally, squeeze hard on the webbed portion between thumb and first finger. If there is an "excruciatingly painful" (Davies' description) then this might be a trigger point (trp). These can be rubbed out and deactivated.

Blessings to you. Jen102
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I posted re any place in the body that did NOT hurt-everyone had hand pain and I think that was about 35 or so replies-the only places that did not hurt were eyelashes mainly.
    Your doc is just wrong.
    Anne
  15. jake123

jake123 New Member

My hands hurt all the time especially if I actually use them for something, carrying more than a single book, sweeping the garage, whatever.
    It is osteoarthritus - no cartilage at all baby, bone on bone. A friend grabbed my wrist the other day and squeezed and I let out a scream she won't forget for a while.
    I've been seeing a rheumatologist and he hasn't really done one thing for me. He was my mother's doctor and was really good with her. I think he is a schmuck.
    I do all I can do with paraffin wax, the warm in the micro terrycloth mittens, I don't move furniture anymore! It is just tough some time for the pain to just go on and on, isn't it?
  16. ChisaiJoyu

ChisaiJoyu New Member

some of my worst pain is in my hands and wrists. yours sounds like FM
  17. nasakit

nasakit New Member

ALOHA FROM HAWAII...

I HAVE COMPLAINED TO MY DOCTOR ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS. IT'S SO PAINFUL THAT I CAN'T USE MY THUMBS....CAN'T OPEN JARS, BAGS OF CHIPS OR ANYTHING. MY DOCTOR JUST INCREASED MY DARVOSET, ANTI-DEPRESSANT AND SAID EXERCISE MORE AND LOSE SOME WEIGHT. THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE PAIN WE ARE IN AND THAT THE WEIGHT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. I WEIGHED LESS WHEN THIS WAS FIRST DIAGNOSED, RECENTLY LOST 15 POUNDS BUT THE PAIN IS STILL THERE...AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES TOO.

I SEE A PHYSICAL THERAPIST TWICE A WEEK. SHE TOO FEEL THAT PEOPLE WITH FIBRO MUST EXERCISE, TAKE YOUR MEDS AND LOSE WEIGHT. THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO LIVE WITH THIS DISEASE.

ANYWAY, YOUR HANDS DO HURT ALONG WITH EVERYTHING ELSE...THIS IS NOT IN YOUR MIND, IT'S FOR REAL...

ALOHA,

MALIA
  18. wildirishrose

wildirishrose New Member

My non-stop pain is in my hands. I can't use a can opener anymore or open jars. Even writing is getting difficult now.

I find washing dishes to be a great relief, seriously ! I get in the hottest water I can and take my time. Doesn't eliminate the pain, but lessens it for hours. ( Always follow-up with a good moisturizer )
  19. medic2006

medic2006 New Member

My hands are one of the areas of most severe pain of my fibro. I had carpal tunnel surgery and it didn't help at all. My hands are what give me some of the most intolerable and incapacitating pain. So yes, fibro can cause hand pain.

Try to see if you can see a rheumathologist to give you more accurate answers, I'd say.

Hope you feel better soon!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]
  20. Musica

Musica New Member

My hands hurt almost all the time. I started a thread on hand pain, see "What is "fibromyalgia hands?". I began it because my rheumy, who is a FMS expert, mentioned that I might have "fibromyalgia hands". Everyone here can't be wrong!

As far as medical mentions of it, here are a couple that specifically mention pain, but if you google "fibromyalgia hands" or similar things, you will find other references. There are different types of hand symptoms, but FM DOES affect the hands, whether from numbness/tingling, cold hands, feeling of swelling, muscle/joint feeling pain, etc.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/6/1680_51250.htm

http://fmaware.org/fminfo/brochure.htm
    This site says "The most common sites of pain include the neck, back, shoulders, pelvic girdle and hands,..." The most COMMON! And this is one of the leading FM sites!