pain in ribs please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by painineck, Jun 6, 2003.

1. painineck

painineck New Member

hi im from uk im fairly new to this site,but find it very good and interesting.i have fibro and arthritis and many more illnes's but the question i want to know is, how many of you have pain in ribs and how long does this pain last.Im finding myself get more and more different things every time i have a flare but this pain is taking me down to the floor can anyone please help thank you once again .
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

You can go to the search box up top and type in "costochondritis". You are definetely not alone, depending on your pain. I, however seem to be the weird one. I have immense ribcage (diaphram) pain every morning when I get up. It feels like there is an enormous vise-grip around my entire ribcage. Sometime the right side is slightly more tender, but for the most part, it's all encompassing. I can only lay down for about 5-6 hours before it starts up. They only way for prevention is to sleep basically sitting up. It subsides only when I've been upright for a few hours and have stretched alot. No one else around here seems to have this.

Most people get relief from laying down, that's exactly what causes mine! Heat makes it worse for me (but I need it for my shoulders!!).

All in all though, your search should be effective.

PS. I do also have bouts of the costo during the day. And yes, it does feel like pleurisy (sp?). It's an entirely different pain. [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2003]
  3. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I have it too , thankfully not too often. If we are thinking of the same thing it is costochondritis as stated above.
    A moist heating pad and anti inflamatory pain meds help mine. It is quite painful, like pleurisy.

Hope you get to feeling better.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I also have Costachondriasis, what I do for it is take OTC Advil Gel Capsules.
    A strong rub, I use 'Banalg', and put the heating pad on medium heat and wrap it around my ribs. It always helps.

I also have a mountain of pillows on my bed, I can't sleep laying flat either. Also, if you sleep on your side, its a lot more confortable than on your back or stomach.

Put a pillow between your knees to keep your spine aligned.

I also use what we call around here; 'Rice Socks', you take a mans size tube sock, fill it with raw rice, tie the ends securely.

Then you can put them in the microwave oven for heated packs, or in the freezer for cold. They get cold, but not drippy or wet like an ice pack.

They feel soooo good on any part of your body that hurts, even the ribcage.

I always keep four to six made up, I keep two in the freezer at all times.

I microwave mine about two minutes, but do try and see what you need to do to keep the temperature you are confortable with.

Its heat without wires!

Yes, the pain is very much like Pleurisy, I have had that off and on for a very longtime.

The difference with Costachondriasis and FM pain, is that the former has inflamation inbetween the ribs, thats why an anti-inflamatory will help with this pain.

Hope this helped, I know how terrible that pain can be.

Again, welcome to both of you ladies and I do hope we hear from you often.................

Shalom, Shirl