Pain in shoulder and goes into ribs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by rosemarie, Apr 3, 2013.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have never had this kind of pain before. MY shoulder ahces like I have pulled a msucle but then it also hurts when I take a deep breath as do my ribs. Last night the pain was so bad I was in tears. Today it is still painfull but not as bad but I am baffled as to why this is going on. I don't know what can be causing this. I am scared could this be some new illness that has to do with my lungs I don't know.

My doctor is out of the office today and should be back in tomorrow . I am just terrifired and all I can think about is that there is some thing really wrong. I am so scared that some thing is wrong with me and there is not not any reason to think I have some thing wrong with my lungs.

I have been so scared ever since I had the septic penumonia and every time i have a hard time breathing or my ribs hurts or my heart is beating fast I panic and that is what I am doing now. When you have gone thru a really bad illness like i have and have been told if I had waited more than an hour and then came in I cou ld have been on a ventilator and that has me scared. I know that I don't haev a reason to think that there is some thing wrong with me. I just have pain and it hurts to breathe. What can I do for this?

I am so scared about getting sick again I can't afford to pay for the bill I already have and I don't have any money to pay for any money iif I were to get sick again.

I know I sound strange. I am just worried and don't know what to do about these feelings.

Thanks for listening to me and letting me vent.

Rosemarie

IF Ii dont' feel better to morrow I will call my doctor and get checked ou t
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I just KNOW so much of your issues are inflammation.

Pnemonia is inflammation of the lungs...it's really too too bad you can't get on some anti inflammatories. I'm doing so much better overall since I take Anatablaoc.

My shoulder pain is so reduced and I've had injuries in both which I'm sure brought on OA and Fibro pain....I can truthfully say hardly any Fibro pain in those shoulders....

I know money is a huge issue for you, but maybe you can tolerate turmeric which is an herbal anti inflammatory and pretty affordable. I take 1 cap per day as I know it can mess up one's stomach and I had a mess up from a pharma anti inflammatory yrs ago....

You gotta do something with that inflammation. This is my thinking anyway, inflammation causes SO MUCH damage in our bodies.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2013]
  3. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

My aunt had septic pneumonia and was on a ventilator her right lung collaspsed but as you know pneumonia comes with a fever. She has been left with some scarring and was sent to physiotherapist to learn to breath properly again. However, she stiil gets pain.

On the other hand next to my neck, my shoulder pain is the worse with fibro so it could be muscular. It sounds like you are quite good at knowing yourself and doing what will settle your mind, did you ever have an xray after illness?

Your doctor should be pretty good at detemining whats what.

Let me know how it goes whatever you decide

Ameile
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Thanks to all who posted an answer to my problem. I feel better today so fasr. I am still calling my doctor and seeing what he has to say. I don't know if I will get in to see him today or not. Money has been so tight since getting my hospital bill and other bills realted to that stay. I don't get paid for another 14 days and I need to pay some bills and get gas in the car. I need to call the hospital and see if I can get some help wiht the bills. I can't get an anaswer from my hubby as to when we are getting our tax's back and how much we are getting back. He has told me not to stress over the bill but I am as I don't know when we will be able to pay the bill.
    I am so blessed to have insurnace as it paid all but $450.00 of the $11,645.80. Then I still have some small bills for my oxygen ,$5.89. labs $14.00 and one other of $16.00, Then I have my regualar visit with my rehumy some time in April. I am not sure I am going to have the money to pay it and gas as it is in another town now that I have moved.

I have ot save out of my SSDI check $70.00 for scripts, and $80.00 for bills. I also have a $40.00 co pay for my rehumy so that will be most of my small check. I am going to call and talk to the billing and see if I can get some help with paying the bill as i don't have $450.00 to pay right now.

Back to the shoulder pain I am wondering if I have costo chhondritis again as it has settled in my ribs. it has eased quite a bit and I am hoping htat it is nohting to worry about.. but I will still get it checked out.

I have kept my dcotors as it is so hard to find new ones t hat will keep you on the same meds and follow your treatment plan for your fibro , end stage oesteo arthritis in both knee's, bulding disc's, meyofacila pian syndrome, and then the rest of the pain I live with. It has been a stressfull few months ofr me, wiht mom getting worse and put in a nursseing home and them passing away, funeral , clearing out her house. No wonder my body is out of whack and is acheing all over. I really have not greived for her as it was such a reliief knowing htat she was not in pain any more.

Thanks for listening to my vent,
    hugs,
    Rosemarie
  5. donna13210

donna13210 Member

So sorry you're hurting, Rosemarie. First I'd like to ask if you have ruled out a heart problem. That's probably the first thing you should have checked. You can have that done in the ER. If you tell them you're having chest pain, they usually take you right away. And at least they may be able to help you with the pain.

And yes, it could certainly be Costochondritis (among many other possibilities). I am suffering with Costo right now - see my post titled "Chest Pain from Costochondritis" (right at the top of the Fibro page.) I received many replies with some very good info. Everyone on this board is so nice and so helpful!

When my Costo started, it was up in my shoulder, too (along with sternum, and ribs all the way around to the back.) Press all over your sternum and see if you can feel an extremely tender spot. I also have had a tender spot directly under my breasts. My costo pain keeps moving around, and so do the tender spots.

Try not to stress out. And if it hurts more to lay down, (as mine did), consider sleeping upright in a recliner. Not exactly comfortable, but not that bad.

Let us know how you are making out! Take care.
  6. jaminhealth

I still owe the hospital $620 from my $1100 deductible for hip replacement in late 2010 and they get $20 from me monthly, my neighbor is in very tight financial straights and she pays $10 per month on that same deductible fee...

The medical world expects this from people who are in low income brackets and often times, they get ZERO from too many...so don't stress....learn that lesson of letting go, keeping stress only makes
    you worse, Rosemarie. You think our govt stresses...ummmm.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/04/2013]
  7. jaminhealth

of so much in our lives, is to our best benefit,, for me anyway...
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Be sure to call the hospital and ask them if any of your bill can be written off. They will probably send you out a "financial statement" first to see what your household income and bills are.

My hospital uses a billing service for accounts that need smaller payments. It is not a collection agency--but it basically gets the bills off their books.

Take care of yourself.
  9. donna13210

donna13210 Member

It's definitely worth a phone call on EVERY medical bill you get. I've just gone through months of ER visits, testing, surgery (which involves bills from the hospital, the doc & the anesthesiologist), and prescriptions. I am on Soc Sec Disability and only have Medicare for insurance. I am buried in bills!

But when you call, I would advise you to choose your wording carefully. I wouldn't use the phrase "write it off". When I called on each bill I received, I briefly explained my situation and asked "Is there any way you would accept the Medicare payment as "payment in full"? If they aren't sure, (or just say "no"), then I politely to speak to a supervisor. In most cases they will do something for you, even if it's a payment plan.

I had one bill for about $500, and when I called the lady told me to hold on (I guess she went to ask a supervisor), came back on the phone and said "Okay, we'll just take it off your account. Have a good day". And that was it!! My jaw dropped and my mouth was still agape when the lady hung up the phone! LOL! (It doesn't usually happen that easily though, for sure).

You can even talk to your doctors and ask the same question. Sometimes they'll eliminate your co-pay or reduce it. (you may have to fill in a form about your "financial hardship", but it's worth it).

You're not alone, Rosemarie. Don't stress about it. I have medical bills that are 5 or 6 months old! We can only do what we can do, right?