Pain in the back of head,I am getting worried

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Can someone tell me what this could be?I have benn searching the net and can't find anything that explains this head pain.

it is right in the back of my head and travels down the neck.Even makes my ears hurt.

I am thinking tension headache but there is no pain around the head.

I am concerned since my raynauds is acting up and that I have an impingment in my left shoulder.

I wonder if either one of these could be the problem.

Never had this kind of pain in the back of my head and down my neck.I can barely tilt my hea back and when I move my head or neck it hurts so bad.Flexeril doesn't help at all.

Help.

Sheila
  2. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Yup, I get these too. I had them every morning for about 2 months. I also get my right and the base of my neck (almost felt like my skull was aching).

Now, I get really bad pains in my neck and shoulders. I really hope yours dosen't progress that way. But I think it had for alot of people here.

I take 2 Motrin when I get them, and usually they work better than pain meds, on my neck/head. As a matter of fact, mine is throbbing right now. Hope you can get to the bottom of this.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Sheila you sound like me. Worried sick about your symptoms, and trying to discover the causes. The back of head pain would be usual with the shoulder problems you have. There is the AXIS right there at back those two little bulgey areas just where the skull bone starts, where the top of the neck "joins". A good thing is to tie two tennis balls in a sock and then lay that afrea right on the balls and press down, it can releive some of the pain.

My pain also lodges between the shoulder blades as well. It is all connected muscles and nerves. Screaming awful but it will pass at some stage. It just is that tenderest of places. I hate it too.

Love Anne
  4. matthewson

matthewson New Member

It sounds like a tension headache, but they always say, if it is a bad headache that you have never had before, you should go to the ER and have it checked out. I just went through all this over New Years day. They will do a CAT scan to rule out a bleed on the brain and then go from there. If your neck is stiff, they might be concerned about meningitis, so may order a spinal tap just to be sure it is not that. MOST likely it is just a tension headache, but you really should go to the ER and get it checked out.

Do your ears feel like they are full? That is usually my tip-off that I have a tension headache.

Please consider going to the ER to have it checked out!

Take care and let us know how you are doing. Sally
  5. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Well I ended up rubbing icey hot up into my hair to reach the back of my head and then put some down my neck and behind my ears.

I had a mri a few years back.I was having unbeleivable headaches,poor balance and vision was really bad.Lasted a long time.

It first hit as a bell plasey episode.Right side of my face dropped down.It was very scarey.

Neurologist checked me for lesions on the brain.results were negative.

The pain in my ears is just pain.Kind of like an earache but the pain hits behind the ear.

Back when I was being checked for neurological problems due to headaches I had the absolute worst headache of my life.

I was to the point of almost drooling and could not even communicate.It was one of the scariest things to ever happen to me.

Back in those days I was nothing but a complainer.No one even my husband believed a thing that came out of my mouth when I said I felt bad.

My husband got made at me that day cause he had to miss a softball game cause I pleaded with him not to go.

He never did anything to help me.I was really on my own back then.The day I came home from having a hystorectomy he went hunting and left me alone to take care of my girls.No one helped me.

Family can hurt you more than anybody in the world.

I am gonna go take a shower and put some more icey hot on my head and neck.SInce I put the icy hot on a few hours ago it has helped some.

Just incase it is tension I am going to have to take one of my daughters xanax.She has had this perscription for months.I very rarely give her one unless she is very upset.
    Anyway, I will take a couple,try the icy hot and see what happens.

I really don't know how I am gonna sleep tonight.I guess I will have to take a flexeril tonight.That is what I did last night.Pain was still there but I did sleep better.

I really do appreciate everyone helping me.I get so tired of being alone when I feel bad.Glad you all are here.

Sheila
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

you don't get more support at home.
    I get a lot of headaches, most everyday to some degree or another. I have a lot of muscle pain and tightness in the neck, shoulders and head. Sometimes if you feel my scalp you can feel lumps, (like small eggs) of muscle tension. It causes me to have migraines.
    I take a muscle relaxer and pain meds and if it gets really bad ,I will take a valium. That usually knocks me out so I can sleep. I have tried migraine meds, but they don't work well for me because before it becomes a migraine it starts as a tension headache.
    I had a MRI done just to make sure it wasn't a tumor, that's how bad it get's. If you have insurance, you may want a scan just to see if there is anything else going on. I hope you feel better soon.Take care.
    claudia
  7. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I get that type of pain in the back of head, too. Sometimes It comes with a head ache over eye, and ear pain. I have DDD of the spine. When I get this pain I go to my chropractor as my atlas is off. We joke about my head not being on straight, but the pain isn't a joke. He gives me an adjustment and it's good for awhile. When I get that type of pain I just have him check me out.

Be very careful about who adjusts you neck.
    Cindy, aka Cinders

[ advertisement ]