Pain in the left clavicle, shoulder & arm anuyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnitaQuiles, Jul 16, 2003.

1. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hello everyone....I have been in pain for the past 5 days. I was thinking it was related to my heart, but since I know that I have costochondritis, I am not letting anxiety set in....please, if anyone has experienced this awful pain, could you give me some advice on what to do??? I am at the end of the rope. I applied heat pads, I take ultracet, and I try not to think about the pain...but it's there, 24 hrs a Day. I am praying that it gets better soon. It just flared up all of the sudden, for no apparent reason. the only think I could remember is mopping the floor too often since I had so many relatives over recently. HELP anyone out there.....thanks!
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

I don't want to scare you too much but don't minimize this. You are trying not to have anxiety if it is your heart but the best way to do that is to be checked out.

Pain in your left chest, shoulder and arm are classic heart symptoms. Please go to your doc or the ER and get checked out. An EKG is in order.

Then if it is not your heart, you can work on the pain. And they can help you with that also.
  3. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

same type of pain sometimes if I overdo it. I have my husband poke around until he finds a tender spot NOT a tender point for FMS but, like a trigger point. I then have him press it VERY hard for 1 min and release. That provides relief for a few hours. If you are alone a rubber ball in a sock used against a wall or chair back can help you. I also have my husband "roll out" my muscles with a rolling pin. It isn't very uncomfortable (if it is tape a hand towel around it) He spends about 10 min. and I feel better all day or night. If this is the first time you've felt this pain you might want to see a doc to make sure of the extent of the damage if there is any.

Lisa
  4. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

That is the diagnosis I was given for this incredible relentless pain I have on my left side. Do a search on it. The doc found that I was born with an extra rib at C7. Most people that are born like this go through their whole lives without experiencing pain, and the ones that do suffer it hits them in their 4th or 5th decade of life. The pain is excruciating so I sympathize with what you are feeling. I hope this helps.
    Sandy
  5. vnr27

vnr27 New Member

hi ive been running to my doc with that pain on and off 4 6 months i even gave myself panic attacks over it, had a ekg and xrays all fine its just a pain that comes with fm, i use the heating pad feel better,val
  6. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Thank you all who replied again.....it is good to know that in this painfull world, we are not alone. God is good, and that is why he gave me all of you to feel better today and tomorrow. blessings to all. anita q.
    feeling much better today!
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

I have this pain almost all the time. I used to use heat, but I think the heat actually made it worse. Ice packs seem to help it subside quicker than anything. I know one thing, there is no amount of pain medication that takes that pain away.

Dara
  8. kgg

kgg New Member

And thank you for getting checked out by the doc. -Karen
  9. debbym

debbym New Member

My therapy was to sit straight up in chair, arms hanging at side, and tuck my head back as far as it goes. First check with doctor to make sure heart is well and neck is ok. My disks are all going and it was a pinched nerve. Also causes chest pains when it gets bad. I've had heart checked several times. Never thought it was that but docs are cautious. Ice is also my friend. Doc said ice and heat both would help. I prefer ice.
    Deb
  10. Donna39

Donna39 New Member

Hi-I was reading your post and it is a ditto copy of me.This is where my whole problem started-on my left side.
    It is definitely the mopping that is causing this. It is called repetetive-stress-disorder.Anything you do over and over like mopping,vaccuming,sweeping etc...You are doing the right thing by not letting it cause you anxiety because thats what I did when mine first started and it only lead me down a long and horrible road.Because I did not know what was happening to me,I thought the worst,all I could think of was my heart and that I was going to die.This caused me so much stress that I would have to e-mail you to explain the 2 years that I spent of pure h---.This lead to full blown panic attacks which in turn made what I was feeling on my left side turn into things that it wasn't before.It took alot of unecessary test(my doings) to convince me there was nothing wrong with my heart.When you have anxiety with something like this,the nerves and tendons on this side can start doing some scary things.I will be glad to talk to you about this if you want.I feel like an expert when it comes to this,because like I said this is where all mine started and I have since done alot of reaserach and have learned what not to do that will cause a flare-up,and what to do when it does.
    my e-mail is CBLOOM8314@aol.com-Donna
  11. Donna39

Donna39 New Member

Anita,
    I meant to say at the beginning of my post,but I guess I was too busy trying to play doctor.I was only speaking from my experience,and of course I had all the test done to rule out any heart problem.Thats what you should do too if it will give you a piece of mind,and trust me..it will.Then if you have all the test come back okay..I will give you my diagnosis-lol.I guess I was just so eager to help that I wasn't thinking.
    Dr. wanna be-Donna
  12. kuntryhart

kuntryhart New Member

I have had pain in my clavicle and all the tissues around it in the past. Thanks God I can say it is in the past!! I couldn't walk across the room without excruciating pain. I thought it might be my heart, so went to the Dr. He said my heart was fine, but we didn't know I had Fibro then, and he didn't beleive that Fibro is real anyway, so he gave me an antibiotic and a pain killer. I used the heat pad, and Ben Gaye. It took a long time, but it finally left me. I still have a little flare there once in a while, but never as bad as it was then. Thank God! But, I can empathize with you. I hope it will ease for you too. Kuntryhart