Pain in the ribcage area.. anyone else

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jknight, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jknight

jknight Member

Lately I am having alot of pain and tenderness in the area around my rib cage. It hurts to even bend over and sometimes when I move the wrong way it is very painful. I mentioned it to my Dr. and she seemed to think it is from the fibro. I am beginning to wonder is everything from fibro?

2. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I know that when my rib cage area is in pain then I am in a serious fibro flare up (because I have headaches daily and fatigue). When my fibro journey began my rib cage hurt and it got so bad that it hurt to breath. I am no longer in that much pain and the rib cage pain only comes when I am really overwhelmed with life and not eating well and not taking my supplements.

Currently, I have been researching a lot about the relationship between hormones and fibromyalgia. When my journey began it was when I started infertility treatements and surgeries for endometriosis. I had a complete hysterectomy (ovaries included) and had a lot of scare tissue removed in my entire admoninal/pelvic and rib cage areas. The Dr. said I had scar tissue all the way up near my rib cage area which is extremely rare for endo patients to have scar tissue there. BTW my Dr. was an oncologist who specialized in getting scare tissue off of all the organs the adominal/pevlic area.

I am not saying that you may have endometriosis or anything that serious, but certainly all fibro patients have an immune system that does not heal muscles and myofacial pain correctly. Our muscles get micro tears and the immune system does not repair them correctly. We use the rib cage daily for everything! So the muscles get tired, worn and torn. I hope you are doing all you can with your diet and supplements to improve your symptoms and have the best possible chance for muscle and cellular repair. It has helped me tremendously....since my hysterectomy (age 35) I have been in menopause and the fibro continues when my hormones are out of wack and I am not taking care of myself. Hope that helps!
  3. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I noticed with the first symptoms of FMS/CFIDS that the bottom of my rib cage was really sore and tender. My husband would hug me, and I would cry out in pain.

I think I read somewhere that the bottom of the ribcage, both front and back, is tender-point areas as well as the well known ones...

I pray you find relief!

4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have gotten pain in my ribcage years before I was dx'ed with fibro, I was told that I had chostochondritis which is a inflamation of teh cartlage between your ribs , this cartlage swells up and like any inflamtion pinches nerves and it is really painful, I know some people who think they have had a heart attack when they have chostochronditis.

Also I get plursey too, that makes my ribs ache too. I usually get it with a cough and then it hurts to breathe , take a deep breath, and I have had to deal with it. I have had to learn how to live with this pain. For me it comes and goes for no reason, I know others who get chosto as well, but we each get it for different reasons. Mine comes and goes. Thankfully I have not had it for quite a while, Knock on wood.
    Hope you feel better soon
  5. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

No, dear, everything is NOT fibro! I believed that and wound up with drug-induced hepatitis from all the pills they gave me! My doctor dismissed my rib and back pain for years until "just fibro" sent me to the hospital. My spleen was enlarged and my liver was malfunctioning. I had almost no platelets and was diabetic. I'm not saying that you have all of this, but I am here to say that SOME doctors get hold of an FM diagnosis and then use it as an excuse for everything and for NOT following through. I was pretty fortunate, as I found alternative medicine to give me more relief than prescription drugs ever did. I control my sugars with diet and use supplements. I am going to try the peptide injections when I get back to the "lower 48". I don't think the doctors here know what a peptide is! Alaska isn't exactly on the cutting edge of medicine!

I am so sorry you're in pain. AM there, DOING that, t-shirts are full of holes! LOL!

Soft hugs,
  6. fibromite02

fibromite02 New Member

Hey I know the feeling my rib cage and around there hurts really bad sometimes.Sometimes it hurts to breath.I use a heating pad and that helps mine.Hope this helps.This also happens worse when I am in a flare.
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi Denise. I started have bad pain around my ribs last year. Only on the right side. I first thought it was gallbladder. Went to the dr. She checked me, and sent me to x-ray my spine. Nothing showed. Since my pain wasn't related to eating, she didn't think it was gallbladder, but she said it was muscular. She said she thought I had pulled a muscle. It got better over time, but still flares up. I think it was Costochondralgia (sp) which people with fibro get quite often.

I had not had it before, but I know now, how bad it can hurt. I couldn't move and even sleeping didn't help it. Was very painful.

Anyway, go get it checked and make sure it's not kidney stones or something else.

I went to a chiropractor who used "cold laser" on it. It helped. didn't cure it, but made it feel less painful. "cold laser" is good for fibro too.

Use ice and icy hot, or biofreeze on it. Hope you feel better soon.
  8. chris3

chris3 New Member

Hi Denise,

I have the same rib pain on the right side, turned out I have kidney stones. Found out the hard way by passing some, and I have given birth three times, did not shed a tear, passing the stone had me in tears and begging for pain relief! So, I was told it can present that way as well. Just a thought.

Take care,

9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

with the doctors; I hads this same pain, it went on forever, and was told I did not have gallbladder based on the fact that I had no stones on an ultrasound.

I wound up having emergency gallbladder surgery due to biliary dyskanesia (non-functioning gallbladder), and was days away from very serious and dangerous complications.

I thank God every day that I threw my hands up, and in excruciating pain, drove myself to the ER (on my birthday no less), and decided I was not leaving without a definitive answer to my pain problem. Thank God for the astute attending physician and the surgeon on call, who seemed to know what was going on right away, and saw to it that I got immediate care...much more reactive than my internist, gastro, or gyno. Disgraceful!!!

Feel better but be persistent. Something other than fibro may very well be causing your pain.

Take care--Laura

P.S. I feel like a new person since my surgery!

10. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Yuck...sitting here right now and still it hurts. I DID have my gallbladder out in 2005 after 20 years of misdiagnosis. I'm often searching here to see if anyone else is having this chronic pain. I now have a fatty liver, so that's behind the ribs, and causes a dull ache as well. The bottom ridge of my ribcage is definitely tender to the touch. Also, I have IBS, and last night it kept me awake half the night. Laying in bed hurts. It's ridiculous. I know it can't all be fibro, but that's what I get from my rheumy...I think we're probably hypersensitive to sensations within our bodies. I get pain around the back of the ribcage as well as the front. I feel like that story The Princess and the Pea. I feel like I sleep with a bed fully of peas, regardless of the fluffy bedding. Thankfully I have a PT appt later today. It hurts when she's working in that area, and under the arm down my chest side. Sorry you are in pain, and I hope you feel better soon.

11. GracieJ

GracieJ Member

Hi, Denise,

One other thing that might be causing this is that with any pain-driven disease, there is a strong tendency to curl the body forward protectively, which contracts the rib cage considerably and can really hurt. Often, we stop moving as much as we once did, which also contributes to this. I am a massage therapist, and when someone comes to me with rib pain, I ask a lot of questions. When it does seem to be muscle-related like this, I spend a lot of time gently massaging the muscles in between the ribs -- yes, they can cause that much of a problem -- and talking to them about the emotional climate they are living with that is producing the protectiveness. Add on a few stretches and breathing exercises, and quite often the pain stops entirely. The key always has to fit the lock; if something simple as changing the physics and position of the rib cage does not give relief, it is time to look at other things.
  12. jknight

jknight Member

I appreciate all the responses I have received from this post. It does make me feel better to know I am not the only one that has this problem. Many of the replies have offered good information and I am going to follow up with my Pain Dr in a couple of weeks. If I don't feel like it is any better I will go to my medical Dr. Thanks again and gentle hugs to everyone!!

Denise[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2012]