pain in the ribs

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by barny, Apr 4, 2004.

1. barny

barny New Member

hi all i have fms ,ive been having this terrible pain in my ribs both sides that goes round to my back i have pain under both arm pits ,i do have a lot of reflux which i take santac for this pain goes right to my breast bone any body got any ideas
  2. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I have three things I can think of that may be causing your pain.
    1) Excessive coughing. Have you been ill with chest congestion? I have a friend who once broke a rib from violent coughing.
    2) You may have strained yourself, heavy lifting, etc...
    3) An inflammatory condition called costochodritis (I have this). It causes inflammation in the tissue around your ribs. Some people have even mistaken this pain for a heart attack as it can be severe. Often my ribs are sore and feel as if the lower ones are folded outward. It is painful! I also get alot of knots (muscle spasms) along my ribs which if touched will send me through the roof.

If you cannot come to realize what is causing your pain it wouldn't hurt ot see your GP if pain persists. Good luck!

P.S> Sometimes a warm shower, very gentle massage and pain meds help the pain I have. Sometimes though, nothing helps.
  3. barny

barny New Member

thanks i think its the latter one,ive heard of it before,do you get pain around your breast bone aswell,
  4. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Yes, I do get alot of pain around the breastbone and under the left breast in particular....good luck to you!
  5. redmustanggt89

redmustanggt89 New Member

I too, have pain on my left side that radiates to my back. Really did not know what it was, but it usually goes away in a few days. I go to the doctors so much for my fibro, I do not go for other things. I just try to hang in there until it is gone.