Pain Level Chart

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, May 30, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Someone posted what symptoms go with the 1-10 scale for pain.

Can anyone post this? I can't find it.

I think it would be helpful as a sticky note at the top of the board.

What do others think?

2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I didn't know there was a definitive pain-level chart.

Every time they ask, what's my pain level, on a scale of 1-10, I wonder how that even gives them any real information. I mean, my "6" could be their "10". Hence, If I answer "6", they think I'm not in much pain.

A nurse once explained that my reply is only an indication of my perception of my pain level, & the numbers don't have any real meaning, themselves.
    But the next nurse said she'd never heard that explanation.

I figured, my answer will be interpreted by what kinda mood the nurse is in...

I'm very interested in this chart you mentioned!!!
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I agree it would be helpful.

I go for my doctor visit this coming week and want to make sure I'm prepared. smile

Thanks in advance, it would be very appreciated.

4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Gap is this the one you are looking for?? I look what else I might have in my files:)

Please Note: This is the pain level that is experienced AFTER taking the daily medication prescribed by your doctor.

0 - Pain free.

1 - Very minor annoyance - mild aches to some parts of the body. No pain medication needed.

2 - Minor annoyance- dull aches to some parts of the body. No pain medication needed.

3 - Annoying enough to be distracting. Over-the-counter pain relievers (such as Naproxen or topical treatments such as Arthritis Pain relieving rubs) take care of it.

4 - Can be ignored if you are really involved in your work, but still distracting. Over-the-counter pain relievers remove pain for 3-4 hours.

5 - Can’t be ignored for more than 30 minutes. Over-the-counter pain relievers help somewhat (bring pain level from 5 to a 3 or 4) with pain for 3-4 hours.

6 - Can’t be ignored for any length of time but you can still go to work and participate in social activities. Stronger painkillers (such as Ultram) relieve pain for 3-4 hours.

7 - Makes it difficult to concentrate, interferes with sleep. You can still function with effort. Stronger painkillers (such as Ultram) are only partially effective. (Stronger pain killers bring pain from a 7 to a 4-6 level.)

8 - Physical activity severely limited. You can read and converse with effort. Stronger painkillers (such as Ultram) are not effective. (Narcotic painkillers do bring this pain down to a level 3 or lower level.)

9 - Non-functional for all practical purposes. Cannot concentrate. Physical activity halted. Panic sets in. (Narcotic painkillers bring the pain level down from 9 to the 4-6 level.)

10 - Totally non-functional. Unable to speak. Crying out or moaning uncontrollably - near delirium.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just found it but for some reason I could not copy it. Thanks!!!!!

ETA This is for after you take your pain medication? I don't remember that.[This Message was Edited on 05/30/2009]

ETAA I found two posts. The first one did not say anything about after taking your meds. but the second one did.

This scale is helpful but I think it needs tweaking. However, kudos to the person that wrote it!!![This Message was Edited on 05/30/2009]
  6. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

This is the only one I could far as the before medication, could the chart be used with or without meds??

Your welcome...glad I could help:)
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Look at my post above yours. I added an edit to my edit. There are two postings. One said after meds. the other did not mention this. Go figure.

I guess I just repeated my edit, LOL!!

8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

When I went to a pain mgmt clinic they presented me with a pain chart. Holy cow - was it different!
    I think a 3, was Pain meds needed and helps.
    4 was pain meds relieve some pain...
    What I consider an 8, they'd have me in the hospital.

I think the look on my face, how I walk, if I moan indicates what kind of pain I'm in!
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know what you mean. If my pain is at a three, I can not concentrate but according to this chart I would be a seven. Do you have a copy from the pain clinic?

Like I said, I think this one needs tweaking. We should make up our own!!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2009]
  10. Axzen

Axzen New Member

Here is a pain scale that I found. Thought it was pretty good:

0= No pain. Feeling perfectly normal.

1(very mild)= Very light barely noticable pain, like a mosquito bite or a poison ivy itch. Most of the time you never think about the pain

2(discomforting)= Minor pain, like lightly pinching the fold of skin between the thumb and first finger with the other hand, using the fingernailes

3(tolerable)=Very noticable pain, like an accidental cut, a blow to the nose causing a bloody nose, or a doctor giving you a shot. The pain isn't so strong that you can't get used to it. Eventually, most of the time you don't notice the pain. You've adapted to it.

4(distressing)= Strong, deep pain, like an average toothache, the inital pain from a bee sting, or minor trauma like stubbing your toe real hard. So strong that you notice the pain all the time and can't completely adapt. This level of pain can be simulated by pinching the fold of skin between the thumb and first finger with the other hand, using the fingernails and squeezing really hard. Not how the similated pain is initially piercing but becomes dull after that.

5(very distressing)= Strong, deep, piercing pain, such as a sprained ankle when you stand on it wrong, or mild back pain. Not only do you notice the pain all the time, you are now so preoccupied with managing it that your normal lifestyle is curtailed. Temporary personality disorders (crabbiness or irritability) are frequent.

6(intense)= Strong, deep, peircing pain, so strong that it seems to partially dominate your senses, causing you to think somewhat unclearly. At this point you begin to have trouble holding a job or maintaining normal social relationships. Comparable to a bad non-migraine headache combined with several bee stings or a bad back pain

7(very intense)= Same as 6 except that the pain completely dominates your senses causing you to think unclearly about half the time. at this point you're effectively disabled and frequently can't live alone. Comparable to an average migraine headache.

8(utterly horrible)= Pain so intense that you can no longer think clearly at all, and have often undergone severe personality change if the pain has been present for a long time. Suicide is frequently contemplated and sometimes tried. Comparable to childbirth or a real bad migraine.

9(excruciating unbearable)= Pain so intense that you can't tolerate it and demand pain killers or surgery, no matter what the side effects or risk. If this doesn't work, suicide is frequent since there is no more joy in life whatsoever. Comparable to throat cancer

10(unimaginable unspeakable)= Pain so intense that you will go unconscious shortly. Most people have never experienced this level of pain. Those who have suffered a severe accident, such as a crushed hand, and lost consciousness as a result of the pain rather than the blood loss, have experienced level 10.

[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2009]
  11. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

on this scale i would range from a 4-8 depending on time of day and what I'm trying to do .

if you google cronic pain.. there are a few good web sites...I tend to check out this one..
    there was another one that was better but it has been suspened. ?

12. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm sorry that I don't have a copy - it was something that I had to fill out at the pain clinic.

I just know that it was SO different from what or how I would have "numbered" my pain level.
    Maybe it's because I was at a pain clinic that they used that kind of chart.

In my daily life, if I were to describe my pain, I'm rarely below a 5 - usually around a 7.
    That's my own pain chart of course. =)

If I remember your pain is mostly, or worse I should say, in your legs like mine.
  13. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Thanks for posting the pain level charts. I'm not sure which scale I've been using
    but I've always felt my pain is between a 5 and a 7 most days and an 8 sometimes.

I would say too that I can't even remember when I've been below a 5.

Thanks again much appreciated, Susan
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You must have a great memory unless I mentioned it above which I have no idea with my foggy mind. Yeah, it tends to be more in my legs.

I would say my pain level is a four, sometimes a five and that is on medication. At this point I can usually ignore it but by the time it reaches a five, I need medication. However there have been times it has been a nine. Most of the time the tramadol will bring it down within an hour.

Take care.