Pain Management Clinics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have been looking into, searching for a TMJ speialist, and have run into also clinics that care for, treat not only TMJ pain, but also Fibromyalgia, and other pain disorders. I am thinking about now giving that a shot. See if it will help.

Anyone have any luck, help, etc.. from a Pain Clinic?
    What should I look for when choosing one?
  2. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have been looking into, searching for a TMJ speialist, and have run into also clinics that care for, treat not only TMJ pain, but also Fibromyalgia, and other pain disorders. I am thinking about now giving that a shot. See if it will help.

Anyone have any luck, help, etc.. from a Pain Clinic?
    What should I look for when choosing one?
  3. Dawnt

Dawnt Member

I would do a search on Pain Clinics in the message archive. While there are a few people who have benefited from these. It seems most have not, including myself. Good luck if you decide this may help you.

Dawn
  4. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I go not to a pain clinic,but to a Dr. who specialty is pain managment.He has made a big difference in how I feel,I stopped going to Rheumy.
    Good-luck!!!
  5. herblady

herblady New Member

that you have to have a dr. referral to go to one. that sucks. i hope the next time i see my dr. she will refer me. sometimes i do need something strong for the pain. alieve just isn't strong enough. cindi
  6. greyhoundlady

greyhoundlady New Member

I think it is good advice to check out the particular one you are interested in before going. I have a pain management doctor who has been wonderful. He understands pain! Good luck.
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

i got lucky found him through a referal from my neurosurgeon who did mt spinal fusion surgery last year.

For me it has been a great thing-he never judges me and treats me with respect and works with all my other doctors-ie-just had knee surgery they coordinate my pain management together to keep me as comfortable as possible.

As far as finding one. Usually it takes a referal from another doc and different clinics have different guidelines. For instance as nice as my doc is he does not take patients just for fibro-I got in due to osteoarthritis and IC and other chronic problems on top of fibro.

I wish you luck in finding one that will work with you. talk to your doc about it.

cathy

ps got tmj too-relaxation exercises and fleril before bed as needed has helped me a lot. Had a bite made but cannot tolerate it and sleep. sometimes dentist are better at treating tmj-mine was the one who got me on flexeril and suiggested relaxation and meditation to help