PAIN MANAGEMENT DR'S AND URINE TEST

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nyer566, Jul 2, 2010.

1. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

I REALLY FIND IT HUMILIATING TO HAVE TO GO TO A PAIN MANAGEMENT DR AND GET DRUG TESTED LIKE A COMMON CRIMINAL. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT KIND OF URINE TEST IS DONE AND WHAT DRUGS THEY LOOK FOR AND ARE THERE SPECIFIC DRUGS IN EACH TYPE THEY LOOK FOR?
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

to be sure you're actually taking the prescribed medications, and in the correct dosage. That's all I know. I don't see a pain management dr. myself, but I know there are quite a few people here on the Board who do -- I'm sure they'll be able to tell you more.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would rather take a urine test than making it more difficult for doctor's to prescribe pain medication.

Until last year I did not realize that the urine test is also used to make sure you are on your meds.

Take care.

gap
  4. rocky76

rocky76 Member

I know the random UAs don't seem fair for patients who have very real chronic pain, however, because of the widespread drug abuse, the alternative would be to severely restrict the use of opioids for everyone.

If your doctor does not require a pain contract and random UAs and someone he prescribed opioids for turns out to be a drug addict, or worse a drug dealer, the doctor can be prosecuted, imprisoned and lose his medical license. Many doctors have quit prescribing opioids at all because of this fear...

If I was a Doctor I think that I would ask for random UA's also...I would want to know if the patient was taking the Pills as prescribed..

Also with as much heart aches I have been thru trying to get pain meds I think
    that I would do anything the Doc wants me to do....

A UA is the least of my worries...

5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, I have never even thought about it. I have been on Buprenorphrine for 4 years now just to keep the fibro away. It was the only thing that works. This is not about you when they do urine tests. Doctors can lose their license if they don't follow the rules. My own doctor had the authorities come in his office a few weeks ago and go through everything just to make sure he was doing everything right.

There are very few doctors who will ever treat pain patients - it is a very hard way to make a living. Just thank God you have someone to help you. There are so many out there who can't even get a doctor to give them pain meds.
  6. Jracula

Jracula New Member

for illegal drugs (cocaine, herion, MJ, amphetamines, etc) and also test the levels of prescribed medications to ensure you are taking your meds. I was with my pain mgmt dr. for 7 years before he started testing, so that shows you how bad these meds are getting abused!
    Hope this helps!
    J
  7. Tizz

Tizz New Member

I agree with what everyone has said.

Pain docs have to watch their backs. If one patient sells his/her pain meds to someone else, or even if they're lost/stolen and end up in a criminal's hands, and narcotics finds a bottle with his patient's name and the pain doc's name on it in the hands of a dealer -- that pain doc can lose his liscence to practice medicine, sometimes PERMANENTLY! (He could even go to jail.) So if the doc finds that YOU aren't taking your prescribed pain meds, he'll probably suspect that someone else IS...

The pain doc also cannot prescribe to to an addict -- that is to say, to anyone who is taking more pain meds than prescribed, or using illegal drugs. If they even find marijuana in your system (and you don't have a prescription for it because you live in a medical pot state) the doctor can get into trouble. He has to cut you off, immediately.

There have even been pain docs sent to prison for long sentences because they were found to be prescribing pain meds "indescriminitely" -- that is, taking their patients' word for it and NOT VERIFYING that their patients are taking all their meds appropriately. (It's illegal for docs to prescribe narcotics to an addict.) Verification is what the urine tests are about. I'm told that some pain docs also do periodic blood screening, a "tox screen" that's sensitive to any traces of drugs in the bloodstream.

Obviously, it's easier for docs to screen all their patients, than for them to hire a private investigator to check everyone for history of drug use...

Tizz

[This Message was Edited on 07/28/2010]
  8. Tizz

Tizz New Member

9. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Here are the Journal of Pain's guidelines for treating non-cancer pain with opioid drugs. (It's written all in medical terminology because the Journal of Pain is the offical journal of the American Pain Society; sorry about that but anyone with a medical background may be able to decipher them!)

http://www.jpain.org/article/PIIS1526590008008316/fulltext

Tizz