PAIN MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nyer566, Jul 7, 2010.

1. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

I WENT TO A PAIN MANAGEMENT DR WHO WAS SO DISTANT, UNCARING, THAT I HAVE TO LOOK FOR A NEW ONE. SHE DID NOT EVEN GIVE ME THE PROPER MEDS I WAS TAKING. MY GP STOPPED ALL THE SUDDEN GIVING PAIN MEDS, SO I GAVE IT A TRY FOR A WHILE WITHOUT PAIN MEDS AND IM IN WORSE SHAPE THAN BEFORE. I HATE TO CALL IT DR SHOPPING, BUT I THINK I AM ENTITLED TO SEE A PAIN DR WHO I FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH AND WHO LISTENS TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND TAKES TIME TO UNDERSTAND IT. SO NOW IM ON THE HUNT FOR A NEW DR. THEY MAKE PEOPLE IN REAL CHRONIC PAIN SEEM LIKE COMMON CRIMINALS AND DRUGGIES. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE OATH DR'S TOOK TO HELP PEOPLE STAY PAIN FREE AND WHAT ABOUT HELPING SOMEONE TO HAVE A GOOD QUALITY OF LIVE. I HOPE MY GP DOESN'T THINK IM CRAZY BECAUSE THIS PAIN MANAGEMENT DR TOLD ME IF I DON'T GET BETTER SOON SHE IS GOING TO REFER ME BACK TO MY GP. BUT WHEN I SEE MY GP MONDAY I AM GONNA TELL HIM I WAS UNHAPPY WITH MY PAIN MANAGEMENT DR AND I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW ONE. AFTER ALL IT WAS HE THAT SENT ME FOR PAIN MANAGEMENT. I THINK THESE DR'S THINK THEY ARE ALL GONNA LOOSE THEIR LICENSES FOR GIVING A FEW PAIN PILLS OUT. WHERE IS THE CARE ANYMORE? IF ANYONE KNOWS A GOOD PAIN DR IN ORANGE COUNTY NY GIMME A YELL. ALL I CAN SAY IS CRYSTAL RUN HEALTH CARE PAIN MANAGEMENT SUKS. THE FIRST THING THEY DO IS MAKE YOU SIGN A PAIN CONTRACT THEN URINE TEST, REALLY MADE ME FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO BEG FOR MEDS TO HELP MY PAIN. ALSO MADE ME FEEL VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. THIS ONE DR WAS A VERY COLD PERSON. I AM NOT GOING BACK AND I WENT ONCE.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I see that several people have looked at this but no one has replied and I think that it may be because reading something in all caps and in all one paragraph is really hard

I could be wrong and it could be just me with this problem, but if you don't get any responses it might help to write in lower case and to break it up into a couple of paragraphs

personally I literally cannot see this well enough as is to read it at all
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Long story short, I quit pain meds in Jan, then went to pain doc to hopefully get some other type of pain relief.

I told him my pain was all over my body, with my hips and shoulders being flared up worse at times. He simply said that he didn't have anything to offer me. Done.

After about 3 months of being clean of the Norco and Methadone, my pain level has dropped approx 75%! My pain receptors were so messed up from 2.5 yrs of narcotic usage...I would have never believed that my pain would decrease like it has. I feel so much better.

There are still days where I'd love to take a Norco for relief, but I'm doing really well compared to how I was when dependent on the meds. A lot of my pain was indeed withdrawals when my body was needing it's next dose. Just thought I'd share, no preaching, just my experience.

I'd absolutely ask for a second pain doc referral...sometimes it's difficult to find a doc we're comfortable with. I hope you have better luck next time.
  4. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

SORRY I WRITE IN CAPS BUT I HAVE GLAUCOMA AND CAN NOT SEE WELL. I GO TO MY GP ON MONDAY AND I AM GOING TO EXPLAIN THE SITUATION TO HIM AND SEE WHAT HE SAYS. THIS WAY IF ANOTHER DOC REQUESTS MY RECORDS HE WILL KNOW WHY. I AM NOT ON THAT MUCH PAIN MEDICINE I TAKE MAX 20 MGS PERCOCET A DAY. I NEVER ABUSED IT OR OVER USED THE MEDS. I WORKED IN DRUG REHAB AND DETOX TO KNOW NOT TO OVERUSE DRUGS. I TAKE LESS THAN THEY PRESCRIBE JUST FOR THAT REASON AND USUALLY AFTER I TAKE MY FIRST DOSE I'M GOOD FOR MOST OF THE DAY AND I TAKE ANOTHER ONE LATE AFTERNOON AND I'M GOOD UNTIL MORNING. I TRY TO USE OTHER OVER THE COUNTER STUFF LIKE MOTRIN IN BETWEEN AND I USE SOMA ONCE OR TWICE A DAY FOR THE MUSCLE PAIN FROM THE FIBRO.
  5. debilyn

debilyn New Member

Hi Nyer566,

I go to a pain management group. I take Norco and MS Contin. I had to sign a contract promising to use the medication as prescribed, to visit the pain doc each month for refills, to not ask for refills prior to that monthly visit, and to consent to random urinalysis when they request it.

It's been just a year, and it's working well for me at this point. I follow their rules, and they haven't asked me to submit to a drug test. I've also been able to slowly reduce my dosage of medication because my pain has been managed relatively consistently, and I haven't had peaks and valleys on the pain roller coaster.

I wish I didn't need the strong medication, but I have tried everything else--Lyrica, Cymbalta, Savella, et. al., and nothing worked except the old-fashioned opioids. This way I'm able to keep my job and work full time for now.

That's one person's experience. Oh, I live in California.

Good luck and God's blessings

Debilyn
  6. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I was on Oxycontin and Oxycodone for two years. At first, I got relief from my pain, but as time went on, the relief lasted a shorter and shorter period of time, and when the meds wore off between doses, my pain levels soared - I would be in tears and it was unbearable.

I went to Uchee Pines Institute a year and a half ago, and they treated me with hydrotherapy, the 8 laws of health (nutrition, exercise to tolerance which wasn't much at the time, water, sunshine, temperance, fresh air, rest, and trust in God), and a vegan diet... I went into the institute using a walker and a cane, and left 18 days later on my own two feet. They helped me get off the two pain meds, and all of the other six meds the docs had me on. They helped me tremendously! I've tried to follow their program as much as I can at home...

My functioning used to be at 10% when I was on the opioids, and now it's around 50% on good days. I'm still not well, but I'm much better than the 10% I was. I still have crashes and flares, and have to lay down most every day and some days all day. I learned at Uchee Pines how to treat the pain, which is significant at times, with hydrotherapy, which helps me get through the painful days.

I've learned that pain meds actually increase a person's pain. I experienced it first hand - as the body builds tolerance to the pain meds, they are effective for a shorter and shorter period of time. My dosage was every four hours with the oxycodone, and three times a day with the oxycontin. It got to the point where the meds wore off after two hours, and I'd have to wait another two hours until my next dose, in excruciating pain. The body's natural pain resisters decrease because of the pain meds... I guess it works kind of like how the body makes less thyroid hormone when a person takes thyroid.

I know I'm not explaining myself correctly, but I hope what I've written is understandable - I'll blame it on brain fog! I hope this helps somone... God bless you all!

Debbie
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Glad to hear of another person who had the same experience as I did. I also had to continually increase my dosages over the 2 yrs I was on narcs, I only took as prescribed, but it became less effective over time.

I'm sure some people have different reactions/tolerances to these meds. I think my body tends to need more of everything over time. I also had to suffer for 2-3 mos before my pain levels decreased...no fun at all.

The last couple of days, I'm feeling pretty awful and achy. I also still have a huge issue w fatigue and weakness, but overall I'm very glad I got off the narcs. I'm not saying I'll never take them again, but I'm good for now.

Whatever we need to do to have a better quality of life...I would NEVER judge anyone for taking pain meds. We are indeed often treated like criminals regarding this topic...and psychologically that is another stressor that we do not need! I only wish people w chronic pain were treated more fairly!