Pain Management Scale

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Sep 20, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Pain Management w/ Functional Impairment Pain Scale

"The Importance of Pain Management"

Pain is the primary complaint causing patients to seek health care. Clinicians are encouraged to monitor for pain as they do for blood pressure - heart rate - respiration - temperature.

There are always physiologic consequences associated with untreated or undertreated pains.

Under treated acute pain may become chronic persistent pain, while chronic pain may become neuropathic pain. When pain is untreated or under treated, it may lead to anxiety, depression, and a diminished quality of life.

In addition, under treatment of pain may result in enormous social costs in terms of lost productivity, needless discomfort, and excessive health care expenditures.

Adequate pain management is a right of all patients.

As part of a comprehensive pain management plan, clinicians need to be educated on how to properly evaluate their patients' pain. Monitoring pain as a vital sign requires a mechanism to qualify the severity of the pain. Several scales are available for the evaluation of pain.

Classic pain scales assess only the intensity of the pain, which is less than ideal because intensity varies over time and is uniquely subjective.

In assessing pain, it is more advantageous to qualify disruption of daily living & functional impairment of the patient due to pain.

A functional impairment assessment, such as the Functional Impairment Pain Scale below), might assist the clinician in gauging intensity, change in site, quality of pain, and impact on daily living, as well as provide a record of baseline pain and a reference for follow up visits.

Functional Impairement Pain Scale

Date of Assessment: ____/____/____

Patient Name: ____________________________

Doctor: ____________________________

*1*
    Please list the area(s) where you are experiencing pain (e.g., back, neck):

_____________ _____________

*2*
    How long have you been experiencing pain?
    [ ] Under 30 days
    [ ] 1-6 months
    [ ] Over 6 months

*3*
    Is the pain constant?
    [ ]Yes [ ]No

*4*
    How frequently do you experience this pain(s)?
    [ ] Daily (throughout the day/night)
    [ ] Periodically (associated with an activity)
    [ ] Periodically (associated with a condition such as arthritis)

*5*
    Has the pain changed since you first experienced it?
    [ ]Yes [ ]No

If you answered "Yes" (above) please describe:
    [ ] Expanded or moved to another location
    [ ] Pain more severe
    [ ] Pain was stable, now radiates
    [ ] Pain less severe
    [ ] Other ___________________________________

*6*
    How severe is your pain?
    [#0 = No Pain ----- #10 = Worst Pain Imaginable]
    0 – 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

*7*
    How much does the pain limit your normal daily activities?
    [#0 = No Impact - #10 = Cannot Conduct Normal Daily Activities]

*8*
    To what extent is the pain hindering your sleep?
    [#0 = No Impact - #10 = Cannot Sleep]

*9*
    Do you feel irritable, angry, or depressed due to the pain?
    [#0 = No Impact - #10 = Severe Impact]

*10*
    Has the pain interfered with your appetite?
    [#0 = Normal - #10 = No Appetite]

*11*
    Are you able to attend work/school in your normal routine?
    [#0 = Normal - #10 = Absent from Activities]

*12*
    Has your pain inhibited your ability for self-care (e.g., sitting down, standing, bathing, etc)?
    [#0 = Normal - #10 = Cannot Function Independently]

*13*
    Are you currently taking any medications for pain management?
    [ ]Yes [ ]No

*14*
    Do you generally use over-the-counter (OTC) medications that may contain acetaminophen (eg, Tylenol)?
    [ ]Yes [ ]No

This article(in part) and the 'Functional Impairment Pain Scale' was taken from the Special Advertising Section Product Information Guide - advertising/regarding BALACET 325{tm}.

out of:

"Clinician Reviews" May, 2005 issue)
    ["Clinician Reviews" is a Peer-Reviews Journal on the latest Advances of Medicine]
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Jlh:
    It is important that doctors get this information from their journals and other readings. I wish it were the same with FM/CFS. I believe it will be studied more and more in the future and make its way into their medical journals with each addtional case they get.
    And the pain monitor is so much easier than trying to verbally explain it. Thank you for posting this.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

A 10 is certainly going to be different for someone that has been shot or stabbed compared to someone that a sprain is the worst thing.

I wanted to fly through the curtain and choke a guy who said his pain was a "3" and getting epidurals for it. Hey, I'm a "7" over here - come help me! Of course I'm joking - I couldn't have actually flown through the curtain!

My "9" was 16 hours of back labor (although he was worth every minute) and my "10" was when they pounded a rod into my humerus and I woke up with the doctor's paw prints on my body.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

A guy with a pain level of only a "3" should have never been approved to get epidurals!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, when the doc asked me what my pain level was when I first saw him for the pinched nerve in my back, he asked "now on a scale of 1-10, what is your pain?" That's when I replied loudly enough for him to definitely hear, "it's about an 80!!!!!" I, too, wanted him to know that I certainly wasn't joking about how horrific the pain was!!