Pain med suggestion for cramps that won't cause fatigue ladies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by app5775, Apr 9, 2007.

1. app5775

app5775 New Member

Well here I was going 3 monthes without the curse and thinking maybe menopause had set in...I was wrong...nature came back with a vengence and I've had the cramps from he--for the past two days. Have any of you had luck with any pain meds for cramps that don't make you feel dizzy or way too tired? I need something stronger than Tylenol but not real heavy. I tried Celebrex and it wiped me out and really upset my stomach. With the CFS and fibro stuff I don't want to be extra tired on top of what I already am. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I think muscle relaxers might be ok for ya....I like tizanizine. The uterus is a muscle or something like that...they do not make me too sleepy, less sleepy than pain killers. Just a thought! On a side note non caffienated tea with a lot of cinnamon works well for cramps too!
  3. app5775

app5775 New Member

Ya know what I'll give that tea idea a try right now. I love both tea and cinnamon its worth a try. Thanks for the other suggestion about the muscle relaxor, I'll ask my doc.
  4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi app5775,
    the best way to go for cramps is with naprosyn (aleve) or ibuprofen, since they have anti prostiglandin properties that help calm the uterine activity that causes the cramps to begin with.
    tylenol just helps discomfort but for cramps you can't beat these 2.
    also heat
    good luck--L
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2007]
  5. app5775

app5775 New Member

I would like to be able to use Aleve and such but those upset my stomach. By the way the cinnamon and tea did help!
  6. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Try taking Vit B6 - it worked wonders for me. Please do not disregard it simply because it is " just a vitamin." You might need to take rather high doses for a short time in order to get your levels up but starting just before your period and taking for several days can really help.

Also, bad cramping can be linked to low thyroid. Have you had your thryoid checked . Or do it yourself by taking your morning temperature daily - if it is below normal, check out hyopthyroid stuff on the web.
    good luck.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

One other thing you can try is to use the ThermaCare patches for menstrual relief.

You peel the sticker off the back, it fits the tummy area nicely and you can wear it over 8 hours. It's like a portable heating pad, made just for this.

I use these for all kinds of pain and they're worth their weight as far as I'm concerned.

Hugs,

Nancy B