Pain Med that doesn't cause Rash???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Toga, Apr 21, 2007.

  1. Toga

    Toga Member

    Hello to Everyone,

    I take Cymbalta and Tylonol and have tried other low dose meds for breakthru pain but have not had good luck.

    Tramadol, Tramadol ER, Vicodin & its generic all make me break out. I can sometimes control it with Benedryl but I don't know if that's good on a regular basis.

    Does anyone out there know of a pain med, not too strong, that might be a different formula that I might try for breakthru pain.

    Keep in mind that my doctors really don't like to give too much pain medicine.

    I sure would appreciate any suggestions any of you might have.

    Thank you, in advance.

  2. Toga

    Toga Member

    noenergy - Thanks for the reply. I'll mention these to my dr. But I'm not sure.

    I was dx'd with an asperin allergy in the 70's but don't know if that dr knew what he was talking about. Have not taken an asperin since though.

    Been told not to ibuprofen if allergic to asperin. But I have OTC a few times with no rash.

    I would like to try celebrex as I also have OA that is painful too. I do have HBP and wonder about that being a problem.

    I also take Prevacid twice a day for gurd so I have a sensitive tummy too. (I'm a mess ;-( )

    I guess why I'm asking for advice is because I'm hurting now and the Tylonol is not doing it. I've felt bad all week and have not taken a pain med. But I'm considering it so I can accomplish something. I've had a bottle of 30 Tramadol ER for 5 months now and there is 25 of them left so you can tell I seldom take them.

    Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll discuss them with my dr. Anybody else have any ideas?

  3. pat460

    pat460 New Member

    Have you ever tried a low dose of Methadone? Your doctor will probably just have to try you on different meds until you find one that your system can handle. If your doctor isn't comfortable with trying to help you control your pain, you may want to ask to be referred to a pain specialist.

    Hope you find some pain relief soon. Pat
  4. Toga

    Toga Member


    Thanks for the input and good wishes. I've read that a lot of FM etc. sufferers use Methadone. I wonder if it would work on an "as Needed" basis?

    I have thought about seeing a Pain Specialist sometimes, I've never followed through.

    I guess part of my problem is that I tell my doctor how I'm feeling at the time of the visit and tend to "forget" the times I've been miserable in the past 4 months.

    I just want to be able to do as much as I can without hurting other aspects of my health. I will be 62 this July and don't want to be in pain constantly for the rest of my life.

    I can take quite a bit of pain but when its constant for a week or more at a time, I get discouraged.

    Thanks again,

  5. Toga

    Toga Member

[ advertisement ]