Pain Medications at Work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, May 11, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I used to work in an office, but an lucky enough to work at home, so I dont have this problem now.

A friend of mine, who just had surgery and returned to work, said she was NOT ALLOWED to take her pain medication at work, or she would get fired.

If this were the case when I was working in the office, I would have been fired. I cannot go a day without it.

Anyone heard of this before?
  2. loto

loto Member

I've never heard of this!
    I work in an office, and HAVE to take my pain meds every day or I wouldn't be able to do anything!
    Some people here know what meds I take, and if they EVER have this kind of policy it'll be the end of my job here.
    That's just crazy, and a type of discrimination, if you ask me.
    There's a difference between people taking their prescriptions and people who abuse drugs!

3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have to echo what others have said and that is that if I could not take my meds at work, there would be a lot less work for me. I couldn't function many days without it. I take it EVERY day I am at work for the most part. It is rare that I don't.

I'm not even sure that is legal and I would check it out if I were you. What if you were diabetic, would they say no insulin?? Come on people! You might think about consulting with an employment lawyer if you can. Maybe you can find a legal clinic that doesn't charge and arm and a leg. Good luck and God Bless.
  4. kokabean

kokabean New Member

That is ridiculous! I would think there could be some kind of lawsuit for that.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It would depend on the type of job a person is doing as to whether or not pain meds and work combined would be appropriate. If you are working with heavy machinery, are a professional driver, or work at a job that a very sharp mind is absolutely necessary, then I could understand a zero tollerance for any meds that can cause drowsyness. As to office work, as long as the person can function, firing would seem to be overkill.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2010]
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

In a case where she is returning to work after surgery - if she's not allowed to take her pain medication, and she still needs it, then she should still be allowed to be off of work on disability.
    That is part of her recovery.

Of course, that's just what seems right to me. =)
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

That is what I would do. Just take the meds and keep her mouth shut about it. Who would know?

I could not function without mine and thank God I don't have to work anymore.
  8. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I'm not sure if this is true in every state, or even at every place of business, but here in NY, I think if you have a prescription from a doctor, pain meds are OK. Especially when you have to do a urine test for drugs.

I agree with Tigerlilea. If I was a patient in a hospital, I don't think I'd want a nurse who was taking narcotic pain meds being responsible for my care. I feel "safe" in saying that because I am a nurse AND I was recently hospitalized following 2 surgeries AND I know how my Percocet makes ME feel!

Your friend should probably check with her human resources department.

A fr as not telling the employer........I'm not so sure about that. It would be tempting, but if anyone ever found out it would probably make things worse. Just sayin'!!