Pain medications do I really need so much of them?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Oct 13, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have been thinking about all the pain meds I have been taking sicne I was working and I have not changed them at al.

When I was working the pain was so bad that just stnading and doing muy job caused me to hurt more than I have words for.
    But I have not worked in over 3 years and yet I am still taking the same meds at the same doseage.
    They work well but sometimes I just wonder if I really need to have as much as I do. I find that wnen I have things that I need to do , I tend not to take my Soma so that I can get up and am able to drive.

And I have days where I hurt so much that I do take 4 of teh five dose's that I can take in a day.

Let me start out with what I am on.
    MSContin 100 mgs 5 x's a day
    MSIR 30 mgs 4 x's a day
    Soma 350 mgs 4x's a day
    Visteril 25 mg's 3x's a day
    Xanax 1mg 2x's a day
    VAlium 10 mgs at bedtime when I can't sleep.

Of these I find that I am not takeing the Mscontin as much as it is prescribed for me so I end up having more left over at the end of the month and that is not a good thing to do.... or HAVE THAT MUCH LEFT OVER.

MSIR I use these for breakthu pain and they work well and I do use them anad only have a about 10 pills left over at the end of the month.

My soma I don't take if I have to drive as they tend to make me sleepy and when I need to be there to help my mom I don't atke them as I don't feel comfortable driving when taking them.

The rest I take on a regular basis.
    So I think that i am going to ask my pain doctor to reduce my MScointin from 5 pills a day to 4 a day and if I don't take that much then 3 a daay.

The only problem is I haev applied for disability and they know what my meds are and how often I take them And if I have to show them how many I take I will be in deep sssh#$ as I don't take them as often as I need to take them.

And I know that they will check up on me and find out if i am following my doctors instructions and will I get in trouble if I ask my pain doctor to reduce the MSCointin while I am still am waiting to hear from the disability?

I jsut want to take the least amount possiable that will ease my pain. And some days when I flare I really do need the 5 pills of MScointin but that does not ha ppen daily.

So I am asking for some help what would you do?
    Would you ask you doctor to reduce you main pain med before i have had a hearing with disability? Do you think it would make a diffence with the SSDA to have me go from a large dose of pain meds to a smaller one.?

I know that as all people wo how live with chronic pain have days where the pain is so much worse than it should be adn I will end up needing all the pain meds that I have to just get thru the day/ So what do I do?

I don't want to have ,more pain meds that I really need to take. But i don't want to screw up my chance at qualifiing for disability by changing the dose of my pain meds.

I want to have the right amount of pain that will control the pain that I have and not have lots left over. Does this made my case look strange?

I finally have found the best doeage of my pain medications so that i have the best pain control for my condititions.

I have known for a while that I don't usually need that amount fof pain meds that I have to take are more than I need . And I want like to know if I have the dosage reduced , will it change the verdit of my disabitlity ?

I just want to know what to do and what is best for mel I have been on MScointin for a years and it has worked well fo me evn when the pain has ben really at it;'s worse. I know that the SSDI runs checks on the aplicants. so it makes me wonder what I should do about the is problem .

I want to have the best pain relief that I can have and also take the least amount possiable . I don't want to have a time in my life that I really need pain meds and I have been taking a really stong dose andnot it does now
    help me .

So I need someone to help me with this problem if you can? I am just a bit worried as to what could happen to me and aobut this situation?

Just wondering?
    Rosemarie
  2. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

Ok, i got approved for SS and I don't take as much medication as you. And, the meds I have taken have changed over the years. Do what is right for your body. I am sure you will still require meds, but maybe a lower dose of some, or a change. Your records will speak for themselves. The pain you have been in, the things you have tried to help the pain. Don't worry, it will be ok. Currently I take Klonopin, Ultracelt, Percocet and some stuff for breathing and Melatonin to help me sleep. also, Zyrtec for itching. I have tried some of the meds you take and others but have had reactions and such. So, see I am taking I think less than you and got my SS. You will be OK.
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

Just a thought if you pain meds have p.r.n. or as needed written on the prescription you should probably have some left over.

If you feel you do not need as much as you once did I would discuss this with your physician.

In my opinion and I am not trying to make anyone made but this is how people become addicted to pain medication is by taking it when they do not need it that is why most physicians write the prescription for as needed or p.r.n. -- just my opinion and do not mean you will become addicted.

I do not think you will get into any trouble because pain medication is adjusted by physicians all the time.

It sounds like you are on the right path and discussing this with your physician will probably help.

To me it makes since that you would need less when not working because your body is less stressed and your physician will probably agree with you when you explain this.

Take care,

Karen :)
  4. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Sounds like you are listening to your body, and that's a good step.

I have found that I am needing more pain relief than when I was working. Have been off since June. I don't know why, it's just how it's working for me. So just because you are no longer working, doesn't mean you no longer will be in pain.

Only you know how much pain killer you need. Your body will tell you.
    Best of luck...
    Mini
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

MY pain meds are to be taken on a schedule. I am to take one 5 x a day and another 4 x a day and so on.
    It is not so much that I am taking pain meds but I am just tired of needing to take them.

I have gone through all the NON NARCOTIC pain meds, including ultram which is a non narcoitc , non steriodial anti inflamiorty. I have tried so many differnt meds over the years that I Know far more than I should , Because I have been on them and I wanted to know what I was taking and how it would effect me. So when I tell doctors what I have been on they look startled that I know so much about all the meds I have been on and the ones that I am taking now.

I also worked for a Dental assistant and was one who had to write out perscriptions for the patients. I would write out the scripts some thing like this.
    Lortab 7.5
    1-2 pills q4h as needed for pain.
    30 pills.

I sometimes wonder how much it is going to take for me to feel better in the future when I am taking pain meds taht are really strong right now. I will take my MXcontin adn MSIR and soma when I get up in the morning and then I try to take the MSIR when I start to hurt but I usually end up taking one and waiting a hour and taking the MScontin. Which is ok with my doctor as I did ask about it befrore I took them like that.

But I have days where I am so fatiqued that I will fall alseep watching TV and miss my afternoon dose of my meds and it will be 9 pm before I take another dose and I don't go through withdrawls and I have gone up to 16 hours with out taking a dose of my pain meds because I was at the hospital with my MOm and didn't bring my meds with me.

I am just getting tired of people , kids and husband all telling me that I am going to become addicted to my meds or I already am addicted to them. I want my hubby to go with me to my pain doctor but he thinks that all the pain doc does is push drugs and nothing else. OR I would be doing some PT or steriods.

I can't do much PT and I have talked it over with my doctor and I am to do what i can like walking up the block and back home again. And I can't take steriods as they don't like me so well. IF I take them orally I get sick and throw up and then my stomache will hurt for days after wards and if I have the injections they feel like someone had injected me with liquid lava. And it burns so badly that I am in tears and yes there was lidocaine in the sryinge too.
    So I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot as I want to keep my family happy and I need to be as pain free as I can be.

So I have been tring to not take as much as I have been prescribed, that is why I worry about having more left over than I should . So when I see my pain doctor this week I am going to ask him to reduce my MSContin to 4 times a day and keep the MSIR the same as it is now. AS it is the MScontin that I don't take as often as the script says to take them. And I really don't want to have 100 pills left over at the end of the month when I have not been taking them like I should .

So maybe if he will reduce the amount of my meds I will stop worrying about it. And I will still have enough for the times when I do flare and have more pain than usual for me.

I just stress over things that I don't have control over like my pain and fatique. My hubby thinks that I am sleepy because of my pain meds.

So why am I suddenly so tired that I can't kep my eye's open and it has been over 7 hours since I took any thing for pain? OR even when I have had a stressfull day and I get over tired and I miss a couple of dose's ,I get the same feeling that I am so tired that my body feels like lead weights are on it and my eye lids as well .

I know better than to stress over the things I can't change and take care of what I can change.

So thanks for your posts they really helped me alot.
    HUGS
    Rosemarie
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

I can relate and I hope you know that I did not mean anything bad about you with my post and I was not suggesting that you would become and addict.

I was just typing out-loud as it were...LOL

I am really sorry you are having such a rough time of it now and I really hope it gets better for you.

Have you had your thyroid checked lately sometime with us and these DDs the thyroid can cause even more fatigue. I know it does with me.

You take care and get some rest,

Karen :)
  7. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

There is a huge difference between addiction and dependancy...addiction is known abuse of medication, I know because I have been there...opiate based painkillers are addictive because the numb you,,not only the pain but the feelings you get from being in chronic pain, they also help you to sleep. Now dependancy happens to most people that take painkillers long term, the simple fact is that your body gets used to the dose you take and therefore you need more to have the same effect and with dependancy you will find that if you stop your meds then you will have withdrawal,,,you are not tho addicted to the drug...if you are taking it as prescribed then you should not worry just make sure you stick to your schedule...and I would explain to family that yes if you stopped your body would react but so would it if you cut out caffeine.

I wouldnt recommend opiates to anyone BUT if you are in severe pain then you have to do what you have to do...being aware that there is potentially a problem is enough for most people....the thing that is much more worrying is the benzo drugs...these have serious consequences and can have a long and protracted withdrawal when taken long term...most drs are aware of this and dont prescribe them long term.

Chloe
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Rosemarie,

You have said before what pain meds you take. I have always been so amazed that the same doctor would prescribe so many different potent meds for you.

I, personally, would not want to take the amount that you do. You may be contributing to your extreme fatigue by all of these meds.

If I were you, I would really WANT to reduce the amount of pain meds that you are on.

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not saying that you don't need them or anything, I just think it would be best for your overall health not to be on so many.

Anytime we discuss pain meds on this board, someone always gets offended, and some always blast those who say anything negative about taking them. I don't wish to be involved in any of this type of talk, that is why I first hestiated to reply with my thoughts.

But we have been answering each other's posts for quite some time, so I hope you will know that I only mean well.

Maybe you could less some of the pain meds and replace them with meds like Cymbalta and Neurotin or Lyrica.

Do you use a heating pad a lot? What about ice packs? I frequently use ice packs between by shoulder blades to numb the pain, and they really help. Of course, the heating pad is my best friend!! It's always on my low back while I watch TV!

I would definitely discuss the situation with your doctor.

Hugs,
    Janet
  9. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

My pain doc wouldn't give me anymore than 30mg of MsContin and it wasn't doing a thing for me so I went off of it. I tried oxycodone at the dose they recommended and it didn't touch the pain so they tried the fentynl patch 25 something or other and it didn't do a thing. I'm to try 10 mg. of oxycondone but I haven't been able to pick up the script yet due to money issues but hope to tomorrow. Personally, I don't worry about becoming addicted because I don't feel that they do anything for me not even numbing any feelings like someone mentioned. The fentynl patch didn't even touch my tendonitis or the severe menstrual pain I had last month. I figure if it can't help there probably no opiates are gonna help me so I just won't take them. Been down the road of cymbalta, lyrica and the like and nothing does nothing as the saying goes. I know none of my friends or family could tolerate the kind of pain I am in and no one even understands that it's a chore for me to even take a breath. Just venting here folks.....sorry. I'm hoping in 2 weeks to get one one of those parkinson drugs that are out there. It seems to be my only hope.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i can take dilaud...but i must plan on not doing anything but laying in bed...i save that stuff fro the special occassions..

now that i am going to school..i can't take them...

klonopin for me and some lodine...

and then in december for my birthday it looks like tennis elbow surgery and then i get to work on a date for carpal tunnel surgery for both hands..

nothing is 100% but i need to try to feel somewhat more productive in my lifestyle...

jodie
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

Sometimes I'll read a post like this and get
    angered. NOT at you,...
    at drs. that I've dealt with.

To me some people on this board are way over-medicated,and some get barely nothing.
    (I'm one of the 'barely nothing')

Believe me, there are some days when I think if I had what you have I'd take every dose because my pain gets THAT bad.
    I only take ultram and flexeril because thats what I get.

To me,... it looks like you are on too many meds.
    and like another poster above stated: taking too much WILL contribute to more fatigue.

I don't think having a slightly lowered dose will make a difference to your pending disabilty case.
    I won my case taking alot less meds.
    just my 2 cents
    please don't misunderstand me.
    I'm just giving my opinion :)
    Warm hugs
    Tandy