Pain Medications

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MrsRoseFromKy, Sep 21, 2003.

1. MrsRoseFromKy

MrsRoseFromKy New Member

When I was diagnosed in July with Fibro my doctor put me on Tramadol for pain.
    Which at that time the Tramadol helped me alot
    But, Now it helps some with the pain but not alot, My doctor wants me to take it every 8 hours, But it only last for about 3 hours and the pain is right back.
    I have to go back to my doctor on Wednesday so I plan on talking to him about changing me to a different pain medication,
    Any Suggestions ?????? Judy
  2. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

THERE ARE MEDS THAT ARE FOR BREAK THRU PAIN, MY FAVORITE, IS CALLED ACTIQ, THEY ARE SUCKERS THAT ARE IMEDIATE RELEASE, OR TRY SOME OTHER BREAK THRU IMMEDIATE RELEASEMED.
    EITHER THAT OR CHANGE MEDS, BOTH MY PCP, AND MY RHEUMATOLIGIST, HAVE ME ON METHADONE, WHICH THEY BOTH SAY ARE IN A GROUP THAT IS VERY GOOD FOR FIBRO PATIENTS. SO FAR I HAVE ONLY NEED TO USE MY ACTIQ A FEW TIMES SINCE I STARTED THE METHADONE, IT HAS BEEN A GREAT MIRACLE PILL FOR ME. I JUST NEED TO TAKE A BREAK FOR AWHILE EVERY MONTH, SINCE I'VE BEEN ON NARCOTICS FOR OVER 2 YEARS.

HOPE THIS HELPS, DON'T KNOW HOW YOUR DOC WILL FEEL ABOUT RX, THIS, BUT AT LEAST TRY FOR SOMETHING FOR BREAKTHRU PAIN.

NO MATTER WHAT, BEST ADVICE, IF HE GIVES YOU NARCOTICS, TRY TO TAKE FEW DAYS BREAKS ONCE IN AWHILE, SO YOU DON'T GET TO MUCH OF A BUILD UP. LIKE I DID.

GOOD LUCK AT THE DR.S

KELLEY
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2003]
  3. golden

golden New Member

Tramadol is a long lasting pain reliever for me, but only for moderate pain. But boy I need to drank a gallon of water when I take tramadol because I have a hard time urinating. Hope that's not your problem. Also Tramadol is not suppose to be habbit forming, But it makes me feel good, so I have my douts about that. You might just need something stronger. Good luck

Golden
  4. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

Hi judy,
    My name is Cindy,If Had Fibro About 10 yr's but diognoisd 4 yrs ago , when it got really bad, Anyway I was Sent To every Dr. possable , and Have Tryed Almost everything out thir, But After 2 yrs of No help, I went back to my family Dr. She Could Tell I was in terrable pain, Anyway She put me on Oxxicotin, I Know Thears such bad info abought it , People using & abusing this Med, But Let me tell you , It Gave me My Life back, It had gotton so bad, The Winter before I Was in a flare up every other week ,if not every week, So bad , I was In bed most of the time , And have 4 kids ,2 still at home 9 & 10, My hubby had to do everything
    Also just so you know , My dr. told me by Law You'r Dr. must prvide you w/ meds that work or they can be sued , so talk to you'r Dr. I started off last Nov On a the lowest dose , now I take 40 twice a day,
    Hope that helps, I know its such a stugel {spelling}To Find the right meds for us,
    I'll say a pray for you
    GOD Bless Cindy G.
  5. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

what part of ky. are you from? i am not on any pain meds at this time. sorry can, help you just wanted to say hi, and wish you luck. karen
  6. EMayer

EMayer New Member

Hello,
    I have had the same issue with Tramadol. It also made me grind my teeth so bad at night that I would wake up with a horrible migrane. Now, I need something that works but I have a very big problem! I'm only 24yrs. old and I know just by the way that my doctor talks to me that he thinks that I'm a drug addict. I'm in his office complaining of pain every other week because every time he prescribes me a new pill, it either does absolutly nothing, or it makes me feel worse. I have a 4yr. old and a 6mo. old and the last thing that I need is a drug that makes me feel sedated or groggy. When I ask my doctor for Darvecit he just dismisses me and says that he doesn't believe that I need that. I know that the stuff can make some people sorta high but it doesn't do that for me....it just makes me feel more perky since it relieves most of my pain. Then he just gives me Norflex or Zanaflex and sends me away. I am too, just about at the end of my rope here!
  7. Sissy70

Sissy70 New Member

They tried me on a lot of pain meds before we found the right concoction that worked. I am on Methadone 15 mg twice a day and then I use percocet for break through pain. I was only on 5mg of methadone twice a day until recently, but I was on that amount for two years and I must have built up a tolerance to it and that is why they had to increase the amount. Even so I am on a pretty low dose and it helps me a lot. I still have bad days, but it's usually only when the weather is bad or I dislocated a joint and got it to go back in. Methadone also does not make you feel all drugged up, it just works. The oxycontin is also suppose to be really good. My girlfriend is on that and has a lot of luck with it, but in the beginning it made her feel pretty drugged. So methadone and oxycontin are two of the best pain pills out there and then either vicodin or percocet for break through pain. I'm also on amitryptoline, flexeril, reglan, and some other pills for my stomach problems. The flexeril combined with my pain meds at night really helps me as far as my sleeping problems go. I sure hope you get the relief you are needing. I know some doctors will not prescribe the narcotics that are so often needed for illnesses such as FMS. Pain management doctors are usually pretty good or at least mine has been thus far.

[ advertisement ]