Pain Meds are Not Working Any Suggestions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janieb, Mar 29, 2006.

1. janieb

janieb New Member

Hi,

I've been diagnosed a long time and found, finally, that Tramadol worked for my pain. I've been taking 50 MG tablets up to two at a time and 3 times a day.

This just isn't sufficient anymore, even though it sounds like a lot. I've also not found a good fibro doctor, but am working on it.

Do any of you have suggestions about medications that might work better for the pain. My family doctor is willing to try most anything, but doesn't seem to know much about fibro. I have an appointment at the end of the month with someone who has been recommended.

janieb
  2. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Glad to see that you have an appt. with a Dr. that deals with Fibro.

I use the Fentanyl Patch. It works very well for me. I started at a very low dose and the Dr. adjusted it for me to meet the requirements of my pain.

Good luck at your Dr.'s appt.
    cindy
  3. elanor

elanor New Member

I take 500 mg. of naproxsyn sodium (Rx Aleve) morning and night and they have worked since my diagnosis 8 years ago. Some people have tummy trouble with NSAIDS. And as difficult as it is to pry myself outside, going for a daily walk helps too. And avoiding things that hurt (like hanging heavy bags from my pain-sensitive shoulders) and getting plenty of sleep. I hope this doesn't sound too simplistic; of course everyone is different. If you can scare up a rheumatologist near your place, he or she is likely to be better educated about FM than your family doc, although some family docs listen better and will work to become competent for your sake. Good luck!
  4. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Good luck at the doctors! I don't know if you can take Vicodin, but that is often a good place to go from Tramadol. Another close alternative would be Darvocet. If you are looking for something long acting, which would be appropriate if you need pain control around the clock, there are a few to choose from.

The patch was already mentioned, I take MS Contin, which is long acting Morphine Sulfate, there is also Oxycontin & Methadone to name a few. These are pretty heavy duty pain meds, but they are finding that these are safer for long term use than the shorter acting variety. Also, they can be taken in fairly low doses with sufficient pain relief.

Take care,

Leanne
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I find it hard to suggest a pain med for someone else because they all affect each of us differently.

However, until your doc's appt., you might try alternating your Tramadol with 600 mg of ibuprofen. You can take them both without any problems.

Just take the ibuprofen about 2 hrs after the Tramadol.

Then when you are at the doc's, discuss something stronger.

Hope you feel better soon,

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. janieb

janieb New Member

My appointment is with a doctor who is a rhumatologist who specializes in fibro. She was recommended by my regular doctor and several other people as being the best in Eau Claire. They also say she's a very caring person.

I appreciate the suggestions, because something has to be done. I woke at 4 a.m. and had to get up and take pain meds and have my husband massage my upper back. Never did get back to sleep. Until now the tramadol has worked great, but since being diagnosed with arthritis in my shoulders, it's been flaring. We're also in the process of getting our house ready to sell, so there have been things I probably shouldn't have done. My husband won't let me touch a paint brush or roller, but the women in this group understand what I'm saying. I've learned not to carry my purse on my shoulder, as one of you suggested. I'm trying two Alleve morning and night as suggested by one doctor, but this morning it came right back up a half hour later; even though I took it with food.

My appointment is the end of April, so will have to manage as best I can until then.

This site is like a life-line for me, after all these years of going it alone.

Thanks for your suggestions.

janieb