Pain Meds CAUSE Our Pain???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kmelodyg, Jun 5, 2003.

1. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Hey guys! On Monday, I went to the ER because my pain was uncontrollable. I had been calling my doc many times (at least twice a week) to let him know that the meds were not efficiently relieving my pain. He just ignored it. Now I was on Percocet and Ultram, mind you. But they still did not work for me when the pain got bad. Well, at the ER, I finally had an MRI and it showed a herniated disk in my back. After hearing this, my doc said that he wanted to get me into a pain clinic the next day. Well when they tried to get me into one, it didn;t work out. So, I demanded that I have stronger drugs for the mean time, or to increase the dosage. Well, he called me and we had it out!! He said that my pain should not be that bad with a herniated disk, and that he didn't believe in Fibromyalgia. He said people with Fibromyalgia are no wher near in as much pain as I am !!!!!! Nice one, huh?? So, he said that it comes down to the fact that I have been on pain killers for so long, and that I have become addicted to them. He said that my body produces artificial pain so that I can give it another "fix". He said my tolerance is too high at this point. He then said that he was going to cut me off completely from any meds for a while so that I can see where my REAL pain is!!! I refused, and said that he was not checking into any other possibilities of why I have so much pain all over my body, nor the many other symptoms that I have!!! I said that his theory was ridiculous, and that he would be just making me suffer. So, he met me half way. He put me on a lower pain med, Lortab. So, now I am in pain beyond belief. I cannot wait to go t a pain clinic and deal with someone who knows how to treat chronic pain, and how it really does exist. Has anyone else out there had there doctors say this to them as well?? What a load of crap!!

Lots of love,
    Kathryn
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

If I did not have pain medicine I could not work and probably would be in bed most of the time.
    I have at times tried to wean myself off pain medicine and the pain comes back with avengance !
    I wish someone would have heard him say _ " He then said that he was going to cut me off completely from any meds for a while so that I can see where my REAL pain is!!! " The medical board would love that one. Maybe you should write them. You may not be the only person he has told that to and if they hear it from more than one person, they may check him out. That is one of the worst things I have ever heard. I would have been tempted to punch him out ! If I were capable LOL

Personally I would never go see this man again. If he doesn't have fibro then how on earth would he know how much pain a person can feel from it.
    I understand your being very upset !
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am amazed at the number of docs who do not understand this distinction.

That said, I do belive it should be one's goal to get off pain meds if possible. Our bodies can build a tolerance to them over time making them less effective.

Not everyone can get off or reduce their pain meds, but if one can, it makes life a lot easier. I took Morphine when my pain was unbearable and have always been grateful for it. What it did was to alleviate my pain to the point that I was able to start physical therapy. As my Guai treatment started helping the pain, I was able to take less and less of the Morphine. I was also able to exercise, further helping with pain.

I do take Klonopin for sleep, anxiety, and sensory overload and I believe it does help with the pain. Some researchers believe it interrupts the pain signals in the brain. Even if or no other reason than it improves sleep, it would help with pain. Sleep is when our muscles are repaired.

Taking magnesium is a big help with the pain too. The ZMA sold here helps with sleep and pain without meds, but it works synergistically with whatever one takes for sleep.

No one thing will work as well as a pain pill initially, but over time, the combination will really help with pain. In my case, enough so that I seldom ever take Morphine anymore. Not everyone will have the success that I did, but getting help with things other than opiods is possible.

I think the worse thing we can do is to get relief from opiods and just rely solely on them for pain relief. It's not a good long-term strategy unless nothing else will relieve the pain.

Love, Mikie
  4. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I did tell my doc that I was "dependent" on the meds, not "addicted". He reacted like it was the same thing. Unfortunatly, I do NEED to take pain meds right now. Otherwise I would be in big trouble. I don't even want to imagine it. I've had days when I was waiting for a prescription, and hadn't had any pills for and 8-10 hour period, and it is not a pretty picture. It is excrusiating.

All along this time when this doc has been giving these meds to me, he has always made it a point to stress that he is worried about me taking them and becoming addicted. And he also enforced that I should try other things such as physical therapy. I AM PLANNING ON THAT!! He just dosen't listen! I've given him a whole bunch of alternative things that I'm doing and plan on doing. But he still acts like I am just a junkie!!

I have to go and see Dr. Jerk tommorrow afternoon. He will be going over my whole pain history and wil take extensive notes about it. This is because the pain clinic that he is trying to get me into, needs it in order to take me as a patient. So, hopefully it will be my last visit. I will definatly be giving him a piece of my mind!! Wish me luck!!

Love,
    Kathryn
  5. nje

nje New Member

HE SHOULDN`T EVEN BE PRACTICING MEDICINE,WHOEVER HEARD OF SUCH CRAP? I WOULD PICKET HIS OFFICE, BUT IF YOU ARE LIKE ME, I`M NOT ABLE TO HOLD UP A SIGN EVEN,LOL, I`M GOING TO SEE MY DOCTOR AGAIN IN A FEW WEEKS,AND I`M GOING TO ASK HIM TO REFER ME TO A PAIN CLINIC. HE GIVES ME PAIN MEDS,BUT HE`S NOT CRAZY ABOUT IT. AS LONG AS HE KEEPS GIVING THEM, I DON`T CARE. I HURT WITH PAIN MEDS,I CAN`T IMAGINE HOW HORRIBLE IT WOULD BE TO NOT HAVE ANY AT ALL.YOU`RE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS, NJE
  6. ekobus

ekobus New Member

When I first came to my doctor's office with the FM symptoms he thought I had injured myself because while the pain was bilateral it was more pronounced on my left side more than my right...at that time. The pain tends to fluctuate by intensity between both sides of my body. He gave me cyclobenzaprine and sulindac which didn't work. I called to ask for something else because I had been in the emergency room that weekend for uncontrollable pain and I was told he would not prescribe any pain meds because I would become addicted to them and gave me amytriptalline which didn't work. I had to beg for a referral to a rheumatologist and had to wait four months to get in. Needless to say I switched doctors in the mean time and actually found a rheumatologist who saw me in one week. Unfortunately he thought it was from wearing too tight of pants! He didn't even do the 18 point test. I was going to my new GP and he was merciful and gave me some hydrocodone for pain, which I used sparingly but had to use two at a time when the appointment for the other rheumatologist came up in April of this year. He did a huge workup of blood tests and xrays. He said I had fibromyalgia and referred me back to my original jerk of a GP for treatment! I only take the pain meds when I need them and I think that because I am bipolar as well the doctor thinks I am either a hypochondriac or I will become addicted to pain meds.

The pain can be so intense, as you all know. I missed a lot of school because of it. I am 25 years old with a 2 year old daughter. Do all the public out there think people with fibromyalgia are nut cases or lazy? At least most of the doctors I have seen do. My best friend has lupus and I know lupus is very painful and debilitating but FM can be too. The popular thought with FM is not to give pain meds, it said so in the pamphlet the doctor gave me. So am I supposed to just massage my painful muscles and stay in bed because these doctors don't want to give a little pain medicine when it is warranted??? What about our lives? All FM suffers should not give up their lives because all these doctors think either a) the pain is PERCEIVED ie in our heads, and not real or b) by giving pain meds during a flare-up is going to cause a huge addiction to prescribed meds.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

These docs, for the most part, DO understand the distinction and are not afraid to prescribe opiods for pain. I highly recommend them if your doc isn't addressing your pain. You are entitled to pain relief in a professional manner and not be lectured to, treated like a child, nor made to feel like an addict.

Love, Mikie
  8. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Let me start by saying how sorry I am that you're being treated that way. That's terrible.

Secondly, you can tell your a$$hole doc that there are plenty of people out there that don't take ANY pain meds. I don't have a doc. I am self-diagnosed. I don't get any relief. Yet I live in pain for the better part of every day!! So how could pain meds be causing my pain???

What a whacko. You need to look for another doc.
  9. judyfocus53

judyfocus53 New Member

Sometimes the pain is so bad I don,t know how to go on. Then I think about my grandkids and things seem to get just a bit better.I think of the people that can not get out of bed,or can not get around,and I thank god that most of the time I can.You can take one day at a time and thank god when you can get around.