Pain Meds During the Work Day?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bren2135, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've seen several references here to using pain meds during the work day, and am curious about what works for all of you. I've never been able to function on muscle relaxants or anything stronger than Excedrin while on the clock, because it makes me so groggy and weak.

Suggestions? I'd like to hear how you manage pain medication during the day, and which ones cause the least amount of brain fog.

Hugs,
    Brenda

[This Message was Edited on 09/07/2006]
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I haven't had experience with this as I no longer work.

I know I had pain killers when I had my gallbladder problems and I was still working then. I can't for the life of me remember if I took them while on the clock. That was just under 3 years ago and I can't remember - the brain is so bad these days.

I am going to guess I didn't take them because I drove to and from work and I won't drive if I have taken narcotics.

Sorry I can't be of more help...I hope you get more responses.
  3. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i think i build up tolerance to meds really fast and i don't get the typical spacey side effects from most of them.

so if i'm home i normally would take either two vicodin or two robaxin dependin on the type of pain and that totally takes care of the pain and only makes me a little tired.
    if i'm at wotk and really hurting i'll only take one of either of those. it doesn't work as well but it's enough to take the edge off and if i only take 1 i don't get tired or spacey at all.

so maybe you can try just taking a smaller dose of your meds if your at work to help with the pain but not give you the side effects. you probably would want to try it at home first and just find out what works for you.

i hope this help.
    rachel
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I take Tylenol Gel Caps and sometimes 1/2 Ultram. Excedrin can wind up causing stomach ulcers.

If you can handle it, Advil Gel Caps are good, and work fast, but I would not take them on a empty stomach.
  5. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

I have to take my pain meds during the day or I wouldn't be able to function. I take 2 ultram and two tylenol gel caps before work. If things are bad I take the same at lunch. I save the heavy duty stuff like vicodin and zanaflex for bedtime. Otherwise I'd fall asleep at my desk.

Hope you can find something that works for you. Before I was diagnosed with an ulcer I was taking 1000mg motrin. That took the edge off, but not as well as the ultram.

Good luck.

Eric
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I am on Vicodin ES...I can take them during work.

i have a high tolerance to pain meds. I could function normally on the duragesic patch.

You wouldnt have any idea that I was even taking any. I need them, otherwise I cannot make in through the day.

Muscle relaxers, on the other hand, make me extremely drowzy....I take Zanaflex, which is very powerful. I only take them at bedtime because they knock me out.

Stephanie
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

I work three days a week and may be adding another day. I have to take my pain medication while working or I would not make it through the day.

I am doing medical transcription at the moment and have to set anywhere from 8-12 hours which is very hard on my back.

I take 1 Darvocet N100 if that doesn't work I take another because I am allowed to take up to 2 in 6 hours. I have never felt spacey and no one really should or they may be on the wrong medication-just my opinion.

I was taking Vicodin daily for migraines when I was working full time and driving 140 miles round trip and never felt spacey or out of it.

I just think if some one is feeling this way on pain medication the should speak with their physician about a changing it.

Pain medication is to help us with our daily lives not make it so bad we can't function in our jobs or lives.

My full time job was a very mentally challenging as is the job I hold presently. I only left [the full time job] because of the drive I was burnt out on that drive after three years...LOL

I am not trying to upset anyone just sharing my opinion :) I honestly think it is possible to find the right pain medication and function.

The funny thing is this is the first time I have ever been given any pain medication for FMS since being diagnosed in 1998.

I was given pain medication about a month and a half ago. I am just glad I finally have something to take for it now.

Of course everyone reacts to medication differently and I could be way off base.

I do suggest that when trying any new medication try it at home first to see how you react first. I hope you find some that will help you at work it sure makes the day a little easier.

I wish you the best of luck,

Karen :)

8. mary124

mary124 New Member

I take my vicodin at work- I don't get spacey or anything. Couldn't function without them.
  9. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Have you tried Ultracet or Vicodin? They are both pain relievers, not muscle relaxants. Ultracet is Tramadol with Acetomenephin, and isn't a narcotic, so it might be a good inbetween for you to taking while you have to be working. Vicodin is stronger. It's a class 2 narcotic pain reliever. I can take it during the day without feeling foggy, but if you're sensitive you should probably take it first on an off day just to see how you respond to it.

Hope that helps
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I take one on the way to work in the morning. Hydrocodone 750.

Sometimes that will get me through until 5, some times it won't. If I need to I will take another in the afternoon around 2:30.

I don't drive heavy equipment or anything, have a desk job. I'm don't think I would work around equipment if I had to take them.

I don't take them after 5, I sleep better. I can't take a muscle relaxer and stay awake so I only take them at bed time.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies.
  11. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

...it's apparent that I'm a wimp!! If I took vicodin during the day, I'd be napping along with my little old people!!

Ultram doesn't even touch the pain, for those of you who asked..

I appreciate hearing about your routines, though, and will talk over some new possibilities w my doc soon. Gotta keep trying!

Hugs,
    Brenda
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

I worked with fibro (and other conditions) for 30 years. The only thing that I took during the work day was 600 mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours.

I worked for the federal government and did not want to carry narcotics in my purse, which was subject to search, did not want them to show up on my urinalysis', and would not have been able to function and stay awake if I were under the influence of narcotics. I also had a 75 min. drive home and did not want to drive while taking pain meds, muscle relaxers, or anything which made you sleepy.

I made sure that I got up from my desk and took a walk at least once an hour. I would go to the copy machine, fax, water fountain, etc., just to keep my muscles from getting even more stiff, and to clear my head.

The minute I got home, I would put ice packs on my neck and between my shoulder blades to help numb my pain.

Janet