Pain Meds Help Urgent

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hysperia, Apr 20, 2006.

1. hysperia

hysperia New Member

I've had CFIS for a mere two years but have been in a lot of pain recently. My doctor doesn't believe in using opioids for chronic pain. One day, I was in such pain, my mother, who has osteoarthritis and therefore, chronic pain, gave me 10 mg of oxycontin. It was wonderful. She keeps giving it to me. I know it's the wrong way to do things. But I'm having trouble stopping because it's the only thing that's ever worked. My question isn't about what I'm doing. I know it's wrong. My question is, why can't I have this drug? What is the harm? My mother's pain is chronic and her pain manager has no trouble with giving her the drug, though others have objected. I'm going a bit nuts, feeling like a bad person and a drug addict, but also unclear as to why on earth I shouldn't have this drug that makes a half life possible for me. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much. P.S. I've never had a drug problem.
  2. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

You need to find a new dr. You should not have to suffer this pain! It is ridiculis for anyone to have to suffer.

Has he said why he doesn't think you should take pain meds?

I would really find a new dr.

Pamela
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

hysperia:
    I would have a heart-to-heart talk with the doctor. If he can not keep you out of pain, simply find a doctor who will.
    It is not easy getting a prescription for it, but not impossible and there are other drugs that might be effective. See if you can find a doctor who you can work with. I went through about three doctors (maybe four) until one understood the need for me to get out of pain.

nyrofan
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Go see your mom's pain manager!!!!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  5. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I agree that maybe you should try and get an appointment with your moms doctor. After all you already know that he will RX pain meds so maybe you would have a better chance with him.
  6. hysperia

hysperia New Member

I'll give it a try. I'm a bit scared to leave this doc, but on the other hand, I'm not getting anywhere good, so I guess it's time to have a try with someone else.

Hugs and thanks for your caring, non-judgemental replies.
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm so sorry your along with me and get nothing for pain.

I honestly feel like I'm the only one being denied a 'better life'
    I agree with everything you wrote sweetie~
    My docs won't use opiods either for Fibro.
    Oh,..they help alot!! I know cause I got them when I got wisdom teeth taken out! I thought I died and went to heaven for 5 days~ :)
    But,...after the 5th day I woke up to reality.
    No more pain relief, and Fibro. Not a very good mix.

It sounds harsh of me but I think animals would get better care from vets. !!!

I also get percocette from family when I can.
    (which is'nt alot. Maybe 3 times a yr!!)
    My precious 3 times a yr when I can almost feel 'like me'

sending you hugs,
    Tandy

Does'nt seem fair does it?
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

Darvocett N 100. It's not as strong as an opiate, but it works pretty good. It is much easier to get this prescribed, or it was for me. Doctors are just scared of getting you hooked and getting sued. If you want more info. on this med. type it in and do some research. It might help your pain. Just a suggestion. You know how it is, what works for one might not work for another.
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am sorry to hear we have members who still cannot get decent pain meds. I clearly remember what it was like before I found a doctor to help me a few years ago.

I was in pain all the time and had become almost housebound. It was terrible.

Even 1/2 a Vicoden will help fibro pain. Also "Soma", a muscle relaxant helps fibro pain.

In the past, before I had a pain doctor I ordered Soma and Vicoden from a online pharmacy. A doctor affiliated with the pharmacy actually writes the prescription. You fill out a questionaire online which the doctor reviews, then if it is approved your meds are mailed federal express.

As I recall, there are some sites that don't charge for the doctor review. The prescriptions are pricy but not far from what you would pay anyway.

I know alot of people are wary about using online pharmacies, and in some states you cannot order meds online, but I never had a problem.

I also ordered Ultram (Tramadol) online just a couple of months ago. It was not generic and works well for pain.
    (The reason I ordered online was my doctor was out of town and I needed a refill).

As respects to Oxycontin and MS Contin - I was given that med from the first pain doctor I saw. I would recommend you try to take Ultram and Tylenol (combination) and see if that works before going to Oxycontin.

Oxycontin/MS Contin are about the strongest opiates you can get and have many bad side effects. Nausea, constip., rashes, tolerance issues, etc. It is not a easy drug to take.

There is also a drug called Subutex(buprenorphrine) some doctors are using for fibro patients now. It is a mild opiate with much less side effects - also easier to stop. You dissolve it under your tongue a few times a day and it really controls flares. I have used it for over a year and doing very well.

Lastly, I do not think it is the best thing to order meds online, but sadly many people just cannot find a doctor to help them. If are very careful to read all the side effects of the meds your order, even call your local pharmacist to discuss the meds, that helps.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2006]
  10. hartogold

hartogold New Member

I'm so sorry your doctor lets you suffer like that. Get a new doc...one that knows about fms/cps/cfs and is up to date on effective meds.

I have a very high tolerance for drugs so I almost need an elephant tranquilizer to knock me out...or take me pain away. If I don't have them pain pretty much takes over my life.

I won't list all the pain meds my pain doc has tried on me that haven't worked. We just haven't found the right "cocktail" yet.
    Right now I'm on 150mg Fentanyl patch every 3 days, 30mg methadone.

So far I think this is working a little better than all the others.

I can't wait until they figure this dd out so we can all feel better. Good luck finding a doc that will help you with your pain.
    hugs,
    Sandy

11. tandy

tandy New Member

Just personally thanking you for your reply~
    Your compassionate,..
    and gave alot of good advice to those that are'nt getting pain control thru their docs.
    I'm leary about online meds and prefer NOT to do that.
    HOWEVER,.. I do beleive there are times that warrant
    this way of abtaining meds.
    I'm considering this route. I have no choice.
    Again thank you~
    I'm so glad your doc. came to his/her senses and started
    treating your pain. :)
    Hugs
    Tandy

[ advertisement ]