Pain meds how many take them?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Oct 19, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Such as loritab, vicodin whatever they are? Is this a totally unreasonable request. I know the addictive part of it.
    It would help if I knew what other people take.
  2. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

I am on alot of pain meds which some people consider are bad. But my Doc. monitors me very closely and since I have so much wrong with me as you can see by my profile I have to be on pain meds just to get out of bed. I am currently on Hydromorphone ER 60 mg 2 x day, Dilaudid for break through pain 6mg every 6 hrs as needed, neurontin, savella, valium and I just started Abilify last week, since as my Doc put it I can not get out of my rut with the Manic Depressive Disorder I fight constantly. I stress very easily (just my personality) but he thought it would help with my savella. I think it is I do feel a little better during the day not as UUUGGGHH, only thing was I took my 1st dose at night b4 bed and it kept me up all night so I have to take it early morning which is only 2.5 mg (I have to cut the 5mg in half).
    What pain meds are you on?
    I do have a story myself about addiction but I will post that later. Nothing bad on my part just a tought story.

By the way nice to meet you.
    I became a member 10/09.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I started off several yrs ago w Vicodin (5mg Hydrocodone, 500mg Acetominophen), it was like a miracle drug for me. It helped w the nagging aching pain, and made my quality of life so much better. I was able to feel a bit energetic again since I was no longer hurting all of the time.

Over a period of 3-4 yrs, I had to gradually increase my dosage of Hydrocodone since my body built a tolerance to the drug (this is one of the common problems). I eventually went up to Norco that was 10mg Hydro/325mg acetominophen.

As time went on, I was taking the max number of Norco pills per day and needing more. This is a typical scenario some folks have w pain meds unfortunately. So, of course, my body became dependent on the Hydrocodone. I was feeling terrible most of the time realizing I was "addicted" or whatever you want to label it. Not only was I hurting from the FM, but also experiencing withdrawal pains if I tried to take less Norco. It was awful.

I have a very supportive DR who suggested adding a low dose of Methadone (10mg). Then I could cut back on the Norco and just use it for breakthru pain. The first day I took the Methadone I felt soooo much better, no more peaks and valleys and no longer counting down the hours for my next Norco.

The Methadone gets stored in body fat, so after you take it for a wk or two you have constant levels in your system. I have been on this combo since Jan 09 and it's still holding steady.

Methadone is actually a pain med, but is also used for getting people off of heroin and opiates. It's an old med and it's cheap. Like all the other narcotic pain meds, you still are physiologically dependent and must wean off of the Meth if you wish to stop.

I know someday I may have to change meds again, but supposedly Methadone is known to stay effective at the same dose for long periods of time. I haven't yet felt a need to increase my dosage, hopefully it will continue to work well for me.

I went thru several different pain meds before finding the best ones for my system. It's just another trial and error game, and you need a dr who is willing to work w you.

Improved Quality of Life is VERY important IMO, you may want to talk to your dr regarding this because it's a very logical and intelligent reason for wanting to try pain meds. Educate yourself about the various meds and your doc will see that you're informed and aware of the "dangers" of narcotics. Why on earth should you suffer if there's a med out there that will make life better for you?

I see my Primary Care doc who is a General Practitioner, I get my meds rx'd directly from him. Some people have to go to pain mgmt docs, just depends on the drs in your area I guess.

Good luck to you!

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]
  4. cordy250

cordy250 Member

I have used vicodin for several years and have not needed to significantly increase the dosage. I have added 25mgs of elavil in the last year which seems to have some pain relieving qualities and have actually been able to decrease the amount of vicodin.

I always took the vicodin an as needed basis. There would be days when I wouldn't need it until late in the day, other days that I couldn't move without it. I didn't just take it on a regular basis. Also, I only use 1/2 a tablet at a time. There are sometimes that I will take another half rather quickly, but many days that I can leave it at that for a while.

I am constantly amazed at the amount of discomfort fibro can cause and have been for several decades. I am determined that I will not stop my activities, however. I may have decreased or changed them some, but I am a farmer and I also have several dogs. Without the animals my life would not be worth living, so I keep active to give them the care and enjoyment that they need and in turn I am rewarded with a will to get out of bed each morning and to persevere through the pain to do what needs to be done to manage their care.
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

he gives me valuim and klonopin to sleep and that is it. My doc here at home gives me darvocet every 3 months a small supply it helps bad pain but puts me to sleep.

I am so scared of not getting my klonopin for sleep I hate not to go to doc.

This is what i take beside supplements one 150 mg wellbutrin sr twice daily one blood pressure pill. Klonopin 1 mg and valuim if needed. Darvocet only when needed.

There are pills out there to help me and the docs do not want to prescribe should I ask my regular doc who gives me darvocet he is very strict? Both are I guess, both of the docs I like especially the one I see in my home town.

It is really making me mad but what do you do call around and see who would give you pain pills? Not

Thanks for letting me know I need to find a doc who understands the pain or something.
    So I can function somewhat

6. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Morphine and vicodin.
    xanax and elavil are the best muscle relaxers for me.
    paxil helps with pain a little.

I still have quite a bit of breakthrough pain. Instead of FM I got a weird undiagnosed pelvic pain with this #*%@ disease. I can't take aspirin or advil because I also developed colitis with it.

The key with docs is talk about objectively how pain impacts your quality of life, not about how you 'need' it.

I think addiction is way over feared.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have been on Vicodin (hydrocodone 5mg/500 acetemenophen) for some time too. My doc is also very conservative but understanding. I am also on 50mg of elavil at night. I get only 30 pills per month and am supposed to take 1/2 twice a day. I also take 4 advil with my half.

I guess I would say mine is "as needed" but I usually need it every day. Once in a while I will not take any, but mostly I am like Cordy where some days I will not take any until late in the day and some days I take a second half soon after the first and some other days I can tell from my pain that taking a whole pill with my 4 advil at one time will give me better results (works quicker and longer).

I have to work, but also like Cordy, I am determined to keep going as much as I can. I mean, face it, sometimes you just can't do it, but sometimes I do it in spite of pain and fatigue.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Darvocet is just above the strength of a Tylenol so I can see why you might need something stronger with Fibro pain.

I take pain meds. I either have an incredibly high tolerance or horrible pain. I have never once "felt it in my head". I often have to write down when I've taken it, because I can't tell sometimes. Other times it works well - just depends on my level of pain. I am now being referred to a pain clinic.

Be honest with your Dr. and as mentioned it's critical that you mention how your quality of life is affected. Pain is very subjective, so explaining how your life has been effected is much better.

In my experience, the dr's I've seen will not take you off narcotics if you're already on them. Darvocet is a controlled substance (has that changed yet?) I'd talk to your Dr. first. If you need to seek a new Dr. ask the office personnel if the Dr has experience in treating FM. No one says you have to stay with that Dr. Go in and interview him/her. You have the choice to hire him or not.

In my opinion - everyone has the right to live without pain. I sometimes just cannot believe how much my life has changed and where I am now. Never thought I'd be dealing with this.

Like most of us.
    BTW-I've had no constipation issues at all. I know I'm lucky.

Please keep us posted!
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I forgot...
    When my primary care physican saw me after I was officially diagnosed by a rheumatologist that she referred me to, she said I would probably need something or be on something for the rest of my life. Now, I did not take that as an absolute, but more as an understanding on her part.

Forget about the "addiction" part. Dependency is very different from addiction. Dependency is a normal body response.
    You can read about it on the National Pain Foundation website. A VERY small percentage of chronic pain patients become addicted to their pain medication. They take it because they need it to control their pain, not to get high. Dependency - normal.

Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiological disease, with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.

•Physical Dependence
    Physical dependence is a state of adaptation that is manifested by a drug class specific withdrawal syndrome that can be produced by abrupt cessation, rapid dose reduction, decreasing blood level of the drug, and/or administration of an antagonist.

Tolerance is a state of adaptation where exposure to a drug induces changes resulting in a diminution (lessening) of one or more of the drug's effects over time.

The term pseudoaddiction has developed over the past several years in an attempt to explain and understand how some chronic pain patients exhibit many red flags that look like addiction. Pseudoaddiction is a term which has been used to describe patient behaviors that may occur when pain is under treated. Patients with unrelieved pain may become focused on obtaining medications, may clock watch, and may otherwise seem inappropriately drug seeking. Even such behaviors as illicit drug use and deception can occur in the patient's efforts to obtain relief. Pseudoaddiction can be distinguished from true addiction in that the behaviors resolve when the pain is effectively treated.
  10. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

As I had mentioned about the addiction part well same goes for me. Before I found this wonderful Doc who is an Internest/GP who specilaizes in pain management, I was on so much different crap this other pain doc was giving me and I had grown intolerant to all so I started taking more, long stort short my new Doc said Gina you are not an addict rather you became addicted to pain meds because of all your pain and your tolerance for pain meds. So he admitted me detoxed me and started me all over again. He is a god send, I love him to death. I hope you find a pain clinic/pain doc that will help you. Everyones is different when I was first diagnosed my pain was not that bad and I dont care how many times they say it is not progressive! I feel your flare ups are progressive and get worse throught the years. But just my opinion.

Good Luck
  11. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

When I was worried about this issue, I asked my Dr some questions. He's very easy to talk to and has a good sense of humor (very important at times).

Anyway, he said, "You are doing fine if you take them as directed on the prescription. Just as long as you're not trying to buy more off the street, or robbing liquor stores to fund your drug habit, you're OK."

Well, that made me feel better....somedays I may take more than other days, but I only get my meds thru my dr and pharmacy. I never over do it or run out of my rx early, that wouldn't be good cuz I know what withdrawal feels like.

The drug enforcement folks keep an eye on controlled drug prescriptions and how often/how much people take. Also the ins cos monitor usage if you have rx insurance coverage.

It's too bad some of us with legitimate pain issues have problems getting pain meds, sounds like some states are worse than others. I'm in Calif.
  12. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

I am on morphine, high doses because I have been on it for almost 20 years, slowly increasing as tolerance developed. I have had no health problems from it at all such as liver problems or whatever, and I have even conquered the constipation problem finally [ask me, if you want to know what worked for me].

Tolerance can be a scary part if the docs will not give increases at least once a year... you remain physically dependant, withdrawals are hell if you try to quit, and yet your starting dosage isn't enough. People get desparate and might start to supplement, which is grounds for losing your prescription altogether.

So if you start on opiates, ask your doc at the start if he will give increases. The standard for 100 years was something like "30mgs more every 6 months" {or 25% / 6 mos?} ; but now they will try to steer you towards "adjuvant therapy" which means anti-depressants or Gabapentin [aka neurontin?] in combination with the opiates. Uggg, makes me so tired [and depressed? lol].

But opiates are probably a very reasonable thing for pain. That almost sound stupid in that it is so obvious. The War on Drugs is a bit of an issue... Prohibition must end, most agree.

13. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread on just this topic "9/24/09 Opiads and Fibromyalgia".

My husband was worried that I was addicted to Percocet, I was currently taking 2-10/650 tbtls.
    2-3 x per day. I even detoxed for him and the pain and quality of life was so horrific that he realized I wasn't addicted just dependent (kinda like oxygen). So I am back on them and gratefully. Lortab does nothing for me unless I take it in liquid form and then twice as much as they prescribe.

Then I went to a new pain Dr.(don't even get me started. I can't even post about that yet as I'm sssooooooo mad still I will probably be deleted for abuse and inappropriateness).
    Anywhhooo, come to find out she says, "Well you are on a relatively low dose of Percocet so don't worry about it". AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH. The irony of it all.

My list:

Hensue, find yourself a new doctor, or just move up North with your hubby and find a new one.
    There is bound to be one in such a large metropolis that is better than what you are getting now.

Finding a Dr. who listens, and sympathized SUXS.

Good Luck,
  14. loto

loto Member

I take Vicodin(norco) 7.5/325 mg. I have to take 2 tablets 4 times a day to keep my pain at bay. Some people worry that this is way too much to take, that it will damage my liver, but it's actually too much Tylenol that will damage the liver, and this mg Vicodin has less Tylenol in it.

I have been taking Vicodin for over a year now, have had to gradually increase the mg. I do not abuse it, I take it for chronic pain. Some people don't like the idea of taking narcotics for pain, but it's not good for people to live with chronic pain all the time without taking something to relieve it. Know what I mean???
    So, I'm sure I'll be taking some kind of narcotic pain med for the rest of my life.

15. loto

loto Member

that's so sweet about your dogs. i have 2 dogs and love them so much. They're like part of my family, and are very good therapy for me when i'm having an extra hard day. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!!!

16. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

I am on very high dose of morphine also with dilaudid and I am constipated as hell I have tried everything under the sun, besides my Doc. prescribing something to help with it. So what did you do?

17. debilyn

debilyn New Member

I take MS Contin (extended release morphine sulfate) and Norco 5/325 for breakthrough pain. I'd love to know your anti-constipation secret. Like sportsmom628, I've tried e v e r y t h i n g.

18. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

Okay, someone asked... so here it is:

It could simply have been the flaxseed and Colostrum I started taking, but I think it was also some parts of a new diet that really helped me get over my constipation.

Thats the short story if you are too tired to read all this on how I have "managed my opiod induced constipation" since last spring [2009], when it went away and now, yes, soft and easy, much better, every day. Sorry if this is a bit longer that you thought it would be.

It was last spring when everything cleared up, after I had started taking COLOSTRUM. That was ether the last piece of the puzzle or it worked on it's own. I just took 2 or 4 a day for about a week to kick start it, and since then I just take 2 at night on days if I notice a change "towards harder". The 2nd kind of colostrum capsules I bought has PROBIOTICS in it too.

The other supplement is Vit. C - people keep telling me that "taking too much Vitamin C can make your bowels loose", so I tried it!! It seems more like a trigger, esp. 'cuz I take it in the morning and tell myself it is a trigger. I have never had a bout of diarrhea from Vit.C.; I take about 2000 mgs. at a time, sometimes twice a day {Jamieson 'citrus flavored', 500mgs - I think the strong tangy citrus flavour is a cue to me now, they are the only ones I want anymore}

The diet is a little weird. Anyone with IBS will tell you that "weird doesn't matter if it helps":

I have been grinding, a few days worth at a time, my own FLAX seeds and other oilseeds such as sunflower, sesame, poppy, hemp [shelled] and pumpkin [very good] putting a few tablespoons of a few of them, whatever I have ground up at the time, into my blender in a kind of milkshake including:
    - plain unpasturized yogurt from an organic source [local helps! sorry about the coconut milk]
    - blueberries [my freezer is full of them]
    - olive oil [just a bit, to taste, but your diet want lots of good olive oil if you tend towards constipation, and you can try a few ounces all by itself for an emergency kind of constipation relief]
    - a banana, allways a banana.
    - pinch of sea salt
    - lots of cinnamon, maybe a couple teaspoonsfull?
    - raw eggs, two or three [I use small eggs> more yolk!!] [beware - you may not tolerate RAW eggs, there used to be a thing about salmonella... I believe the eggs are free of salmonella, and that, if not, I can develop immunity to salmonella with good gut flora, but tell me if I am wrong about that]
    - honey, mmmmm. Too much will make your blender work pretty hard, but I think people can have as much as they like. I eat a lot of honey.
    - a half of an avocado, if they are not asking $2 apiece for them; no local ones either, so I forgo the avocado sometimes, but it sure completes the meal.

Blend it all together, drink it down. I think those last three are pretty good ones for stimulating BMs.

This makes about two cups, and I have a few each day. Very filling. It is about all I need to eat to survive, but I also cheat with some easy carbs of granola [oatmeal], yogurt, banana with honey and almond paste on the side. But I think it is the milkshake that keeps me regular.

Beware the CARBS!! I limit these, esp. anything processed beyond rolling my oats.

Meat is heavy and it seems to settle my gut down somehow, but do to the constipation issue, which is now resolved, I only eat a little meat a couple times a week anymore, and whenever I have dinner at friend's houses [thats great].

I think the raw eggs are doing it, actually.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2009]

OOPS, yes, I forgot VEGGIES. Duh. But I just have a little every day, maybe two, raw mostly.
    And no, I don't use any FIBRE, I don't like it for myself [its probably not is good for IBS in general?]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2009]
  19. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I am on ms contin and percocet...lexapro, lamictal, armour...just got start up pack from dr murphree
  20. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Yes please give me your secret how to battle the horrible constipation that comes from large doses of morphine. I would so much appreiate!!! I have had trouble with severe constipation and will try something for it and works for awhile and then its like my bowels just shut down. I also have to take large doses of morphine for the pain. Without the drugs I cant stand the pain and taking the drugs someone will probabely find me dead someday with a complete bowel obstruction. Is it to much to ask for a little pain relief (as it certainly just takes off the edge) and also have a normal bowel movement omce in awhile???God bless