Pain Meds only taking the edge off

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justplainmom, May 16, 2006.

1. justplainmom

justplainmom New Member

Hi - I'm new here and recently diagnosed w/FMS. The pain meds I've been given are barely taking the edge off, especially on my bad days. I go back to the rheumatologist today. Am I wrong to ask for something stronger or is this all I should ever expect?

TIA!
  2. No tell him the truth , maybe they need adjusting?
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I agree.Tell the truth that you are still in pain.That the pain meds are not working.

I am now on oxcycoten and vicoden for break through .Been on the two for a year now.They make my life more bearable.

Sue
  4. justplainmom

justplainmom New Member

I will ask. My family keeps telling me it's the weather, I did too much/not enough that I'm starting to second guess everything!
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i take klonopin...at night...for anxiety and the muscle spasms and the burning pain...i feel a difference when i ran out for about 3-4 days....

i also take sudlindac for arthritis/tendonitis/burisitis..

jodie
  6. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I agree with everyone else tell your doc the truth. Hopefully he will remedy the problem with a change of dose or try something else.

suzetal I take the same pain meds that you take and they are not as effective as they once were. Just curious as to what your doses are??? Mine 2 10mg oxycontin twice a day and the vicodin as needed up to 4 times a day 5/500.

I asked my doc about increasing the oxy because he wants me to cut back on the vics to try and get to 1 if I can but I don't see that happening because I'm still taking 4 a day.

He also told me that they are just to take the edge off and not hide the pain all the way saying you will only aggravate the problem if you don't feel the pain and I agree with that but just the edge is not enough if you ask me.

It does allow me to be mobile which I wouldn't be without them.

Jake
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I was 20 mg 2 times a day oxcy now 40 mg 2 times a day.Works better. And my vicoden is still the same as yours.My doctor says she will increase the oxcy when its no longer effective.She also told me that it goes all the way to 150mg.
    Sue
  8. zena01

zena01 New Member

My pain meds just take the edge off. 2 10mg methadone 3 times a day plus percocet as needed.....My doctor told me the goal is to take enough pain away so that we can function, but not so much that we are high.

I have did allright on this, as while I still feel a lot of pain, the edge is off so that my mind can control it and I can deal. On the really bad days, I'm pretty miserable.

I'd definitly tell your doctor that you are still having pain -- he may up your dosage to make it more bearable.

regards,
    Sherri/zena
  9. justplainmom

justplainmom New Member

Well, I went back to my rheumatologist yesterday. She gave me 100 mg Ultram to try and said it can go up to 300mg/day. I can use the Skellaxin as needed (but it really doesn't do that much for me). I took them both last night with my Flexeril (10mg) and still didn't sleep well. The pain just keeps me up. Hopefully this stuff will kick in within a couple of days.

I was disheartened when she told me I'd probably never be pain-free and not to expect it. So glad all of you posted the same. Knowing I'm not alone helps me quite a bit.

Thanks!
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I was diagnosed 25 years ago, the rheumatologist was free with the pain medication....I was the one who said, no to the pain meds....I still had the pain but just cared less about it, cared less about a lot of things. Quality of life became worse not better.

(Not everyone has this reaction)

I tried working with different modalities of body work. Myofascial release MFR got me moving again as I literally was bound down in what felt like a searing painful encasement of cement.

Also started therapy in the pool, this helped also. Little by little I regained more control over the pain factor. But it is an everyday event, stretching PROPERLY, strengthening CAREFULLY, pool four times a week.

We all are on a journey to HELP OURSELVES, this board is a nice place, we understand each other.

Welcome
    Fondly, June