Pain meds or just pain make you feel depressed more??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, Jan 31, 2007.

1. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I was just wondering after I started the MS Contin a couple of months ago, I find I'm more depressed than before. So I was thinking if its from the morphine, or just a combo of everything thats been going on with me after my cervical fusion in Oct., or this overwhelming feeling of doing everything without help from others and things piled up after the surgery too. Everyday chores, the whole house needs cleaning, started working again, etc.,seems to be getting me down.

Then this never ending doom of something else that will go wrong. Like now needing gum surgery and perhaps a tooth implant, and all my other health issues is causing my depression.

Of course I know the pain causes depression as well as stress, all of which I have. But I was not like this before my surgery or after, I don't think. But since I started the MS Contin 30 mgs twice a day, I feel more depressed and I've also gained 13 lbs.. Which normally wouldn't bother me with the weight issue, but I've had alot of problems keeping weight on since I was diagnosed, and they claim thats why I lost over 140 lbs, because of the fibromyalgia.

So, I guess my question would be..do others feel the narcotics make you feel more depressed than normal or is it just our daily lives we have to deal with constantly and always in pain?/!! Sort of, which came first..the egg or the chicken theory??/!!

Does anyone have any suggestions or input or is it just me?

Thanks to everybody and your help,
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  2. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Pain maybe causing your depression. Read up on the side effects on your meds. Talk to your doctor.

I had been on morphine for many years it was a real s.o.b. to ween myself off of, but I did it!!!!!! I am on much better pain meds & I don't believe pain meds caused me any depression.

your friend,
    Fungirl
  3. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Of course - wrote you a lengthy post - and deleted it. Anyway, good to hear from you - where's everybody been?? :)

I DO think meds can cause depression; I've been on several (pain meds and others) that, once I went off of them, I felt the "black cloud" lift. I can't remember if you've said - but before going on the MS Contin - had you been on narcotics? I do know morphine can cause depression in many people. Yet - so can all the stress of illness and such. So it is hard to tell.

If it continues, I would strongly suggest switching pain meds to see if it makes a difference. You could switch from MS Contin to long-lasting Oxycontin...they are pretty much on the same level, in terms of pain relief. Have you been on that before? I'd talk to your doctor about trying this for maybe two weeks? I'd think you'd see improvement by then if the meds were the cause. You could always return to the MS Contin...

I was extrememly depressed for awhile - it turned out to just be because of my circumstances, not the meds. I was so frustrated not having doctors that understood and other issues. Once these things resolved itself (and I now have an awesome team of doctors) - I am much more clear-headed.

So, if the depression continues - I'd really try switching the pain meds. If that doesn't work, you could then attack ways of treating the depression.

Hang in there, my friend. It is sooo easy to get overwhelmed with this illness and everything that goes with it. Trust me - I know. There are days when it's all I can do to keep my head above water, so to speak.

Talk to you soon....Blessings, Tina
  4. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Bumping for Shelby...
  5. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi Tina~

You deleted your post? You poor thing, don't you just hate when that happens, as it takes me forever to type it in the first place!

I'm always glad to hear from you Tina, somehow you manage to cheer me up no matter what..we must have good chemistry or something!!Hehehehehe~~

But now that I've gotten a little more control over things that have been going on around me and work, upcoming more surgery, the household, the love of my life as in the good ole hubby, not taking anything for granted, and not letting anymore Dr's decide my fate.

Mostly after that last visit with the pain Dr., and now with the oral surgeon, I let everyone know we work together on whats best for me and not the other way around, helped alot. I finally took control and started to take it one day at a time.

I of all people should know better seeing I'm a therapist, but NO, not me, I can't seem to take my own advice when things get so overwhelming you can't see the forest through the trees, as the old saying goes. LOL!!

Yes, I've been on the Oxycontin, the patches, and now the Ms Contin. The Oxycontin worked good with me, but for some reason my Dr. thought it best to stay with the Ms instead as its helping the pain the most compared to all the others. It could be some of the other drugs that are causing me to be a little sluggish or withdrawn. Who knows.

It could just be the combination of constant pain, still recovering from the other surgery and not knowing my limits yet, or a combination of all the above.

Its just sometimes when things start to look up and you get things under control, you get hit with something else that needs to be done. Whether it be surgery, chores, working, trying to do too much all at once, or a combination once again of all the above.

But I feel somewhat better, and I'm sure this too shall pass with time and a good laugh, which always helps. And try to be thankful for what we do have and how others have it much worse than I do, so I do feel enormously greatful for that. And of course good friends and this board, as this place is a god send for so many!!!

Now with all that said and done...how are you feeling my friend? I asked in another post, not sure which one though, about your upcoming implant. And when its going to take place and why you will have to stay in the hospital for 5 days while they insert it. Do they consider this major surgery, and why your in there for that amount of time, to make sure it works alright and it takes the pain away for you?/!!

I will keep you in my prayers that everything works out in your favor and you get the relief you so deserve. Thank you sooo much for all your help and understanding, and for taking the time out to respond to my post.

I do hope your having a pain free day and you can enjoy those beautiful sons today.

Sparkling and shine brightly my friend,
    Hope to chat again very soon,
    Off to work I go,
    Alot of gentle hugs coming your way,
    Shelby
  6. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I can completely relate to what you are saying re: feeling like you just start to have things under control - and, then, BOOM - something else comes up. I know this is just life, but it is especially frustrating when you are dealing with an illness.

I still have to fight the "old me" who needs to have control of everything...that fights the "perfectionism" bug...etc. For the most part, I've really changed. But there will just be moments that it rears its ugly head out. Like, I'll get the house picked up...go rest upstairs..and come down and a bomb has hit the house. I get so frustrated because I just wish my husband and kids understood how hard it was to get things picked up in the first place. On the otherhand, is it that big of a deal? Most of the times I would say "no"; but there are times where I'm like YES, it IS a big deal. :)

For the most part, my husband and kids really are helpful and understanding. BUT, they do have their moments of just not getting it. Anyway, I fight to really focus on the important things of life...but it is hard at times.

RE: the pain pump implant - this has been a scheduling disaster. My docs have another patient that's doing this and asked if he could try to schedule us at the same time. My doc works with another surgeon...so they will essentially be working on me and the other patient in the same week. I agreed to do it this way because I actually thought it would facilitate me getting it done quicker. But, actually - I have all of my stuff done and now am waiting for her to get all her pre-approval stuff done. Frustrating! I'm praying to know by Monday when I'll be going in. This is really hanging over our heads as to when it is going to be.

The reason for the 5 day stay is because I'm choosing to have Part I and Part II done on the same week, because we are having someone come from CA to help. The first three days is a "trial". It is a simulation of having the pump implanted, etc. They try different meds to see which one does the best job. They want to see a specific amount of pain control with minimal side effects for you to be a good candidate. My docs think I'll have no problems - so they are going ahead and scheduling "Part II" at the same time. On the 4th day (after the trial), you actually have the device surgically implanted. Then, you stay one more day/night to ensure no complications, adequate pain control, etc.

I'm not nervous at all, actually very anxious to have it implanted. I'm optimistic that it will work well, but realistic to know that nothing is a "sure" thing. I just want to have it done. From there, I think the goal is to work closely with my doctor and completely eliminate my oral meds, except for breakthrough meds (probably will continue using the Actiq as it's working pretty well for breakthrough).

It's also sad when you are sorta looking forward to a hospital stay as a mini-vacation. I know that sounds crazy!! But, having six kids and minimal help here (because our family is in CA) all while dealing with an illness like this - I'd consider any time "off" a break...even being in the hospital!

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to explain it all. I will let ya know when it scheduled.

Anyway, I hope you find yourself feeling better and not so depressed...let us know how you are feeling. I love to read your posts, too! Thanks for the continued prayers and know you are in mine, too. --Tina