pain meds shut off!! New DEA regs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by obrnlc, Aug 22, 2005.

1. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi all, hope everyone is having a great day! I just got back from my pain management doc and he informed me that he can no longer prescribe me or any other fibro pt. any opiods (narcotics) due to new DEA regulations that state opiods are not indicated for fibro!! Anyone else get this bombshell dropped on them, or is he just full of it and trying to get rid of me? I have seen him for 3 years, and what has worked for me the past 2yrs is Hydrocodone 30mg/dextromephorphan(sp?)20 mg compounded, i take 2.5-3 of these daily and it leaves me able to function somewhat around the house. before any pain meds, i can't do anything!
    i have tried all others, including duragesic patches, and this is what works for me, now he says my pain meds have to come from my pcp, who will of course say i need a pain management doc, so WHERE does that leave us? any others in this boat? thanks, Laurie
  2. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

Yes this is true. I guess there are new regulations on narcotics out there. Before our doctor was able to just call in those meds, but now we have to actually go into the office for an appointment. Since these drugs are addictive they are putting these regulations on them. So yes it is true.

Trish :)
  3. mistress-o-pain

mistress-o-pain New Member

My PCP scripts me Oxycontin and Percocet. Ask him and maybe you will be surprised....
  4. chris350

chris350 New Member

I am confused too -
  5. chris350

chris350 New Member

I have just spent about an hour looking for anything close to this claim - luckily I found nothing.
  6. allie42

allie42 Guest

Daughter takes Percocet, and has always had to have a prescription, and couldn't get it renewed without an office visit. We're in Florida, and it's been like that since she was prescribed the drug. Could just be her PCP. I know he's VERY careful about everything and almost never calls in a script of any kind without first seeing the patient.
  7. ibisgirldc

ibisgirldc New Member

Here is the notice for proposed rulemaking published earlier this year. I don't know what came of it.
    http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2005/fr0118.htm

It seems that the goal (an not an unreasonable one, imo) is to firmly monitor those drugs which are commonly addictive and commonly abused. That doesn't mean that you are addicted or abuse them, but since stats show that drugs in certain classes are a problem, they're doing what they can for "greater good" purposes. It doesn't mean that a doc can't prescribe... it just means that there are strict rules that must be observed. I don't see anything that says that there is a big change where off-label uses of drugs will not be allowed (the notice even says that the principles in the revised rule will not be new), but who knows... Maybe it's an old rule that's being more firmly applied after too-lax regulation in previous years? Anyway, you can see it there... Too late to send in a comment, though.
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I hope this isn't true in Virginia. I've just started getting Lortabs from my PCP. I don't take more than 2 a day even though I can take up to 4.

I'm not just taking it for FMS, I'm taking it for neuropathy foot pain too, since I have had diabetes for 28 years.

I treat them like gold. Even put them under lock and key when my cleaning girl comes.

I guess whenever I try to get a refill (probably next year), I'll find out what is what. I got enough meds for 6 months if I took 4 a day, but since I'm not, they will last me a year, at least.

Oh well, I hope I won't have to fight again next year to get another Rx. I'm used to him just doling out 20 pills at a time with 1 refill. And getting that was like pulling teeth.

I'm so mad to hear about this, because so many people are in pain and need something and I was hoping the medical community was going forward in this and not backwards. Is this 2005, or 1805????

Thanks, Laurie, for your post on this. Hope you have a good day.

Hugs,
    Faye

9. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

In 1805, narcotics were not only readily available, they were legal!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  10. Suzan

Suzan New Member

And I don't believe that we "can't" get these drugs. My GP just gave me 3 refills ( without calling him every time) for my vicoden, and I get 90 at a time. I do think that there are continually new guidelines that are put in place. but I doubt that it will take away a doctors right to prescribe what his/her patient needs. You may just have to find a doctor that believes you need the medication to improve your quality of life.
  11. Jeanie101156

Jeanie101156 New Member

I know that Im stupid but is this for ultrum as well? I live in florida and have not had a problem. Jeanie
  12. elsa

elsa New Member

Your doctor is pulling your leg big time. There are not any DEA regulations stating how MD's can treat or not treat fibromyalgia patients. There isn't a list of drugs to strictly follow for FM treatment. ... Can't be ...there are not any drugs created specifically for fibromyalgia.

I would contact your doctor for clarification. Ask him non-confrontationally for documentation on this as you haven't been able to find it anywhere, and you don't want to be outside the law. That will certainly put the ball in his court.

My dentist has prescribed narcotics for a tooth ache before.

Lying to a patient is very bad news. I wouldn't let this slide.

This is a hugh FM/CFS web site. If a new ruling had come down the pike concerning treatment of FM/CFS it would have shown up in the newsletter or information/education section.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. I'm thinking about you, and let us know how things work out.

Elsa
  13. gramaT

gramaT New Member

My pcp (new this yr) won't give me oxy refills. I have to go to my old gp to get them. He said the DEA is keeping an eye on him and this is like a "street drug" so he wanted me to get off of it. I haven't and don't know when I will. I'm in no hurry, altho I'd love to someday.

Hugs,
    Carolyn
  14. jake123

jake123 New Member

Maybe you ought to file a complaint with the Medical Board for what is a big fat lie the doctor told you. I think I would. If he is a pain mgmt. doctor, who else knows better about meds?
  15. abbylee

abbylee New Member

And, in fact, my doctor just this month added Oxycodone 30 to my drug diet that already has Methadone 80 and Xyrem.

abbylee PS - Since my doctor is out-of-state, I get my prescriptions in the mail.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2005]