Pain Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jc2jd, Aug 20, 2005.

1. jc2jd

jc2jd New Member

Hi all...it's me again!! I'm new to the board but am very curious about many things...Would anyone be willing to share with me what pain meds they are on, if any, and what works? I am currently on neurontin. Six pills a day, and OTC stuff like Sudafed, which works best for me for some reason. I also take Lortab occasionally. I get conflicting opinions from many docs. Most tell me to stay away from the narcotics, but they do help alot. Any advice??
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

I take 2 tramadol 50mgs and 600mgs ibuprofen every 6 hours as needed. ( I also take aciphex 1xd to protect my stomach.)I also have a rx for flexeril that I can take for break through. I'm a wimp where drugs are concerned.

I think what pain medications you take should depend on what your comfort level is ( w/ taking certain meds. ) and what your goals are for the future.

I want to be a competitive show rider again, so I can't afford to be mentally "relaxed" at all. Could prove dangerous to me while on horseback.

I know alot of people get tremedous relief from narcotic drugs. They ( opiods ), have gotten very bad press, but the reality is when used for chronic pain, the risk of abuse is extremely low.

Good luck in your search. I made a list of what I wanted specifically out of life ( not what a doctor was willing to give me ... big difference) and started a march towards accomplishing that list.

Again, welcome ... tons of info. and support available here....

Elsa

[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2005]
  3. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

I take Darvon for most of my pain cause it doesn't bother my stomach like the hydrocodone (Lortab, Lorcet) that I once took did. I used to take Darvocet but the tylenol in it starting hurting my liver. I also take Flexeril on really bad days. I have taken several other meds in the past, but I have managed to wean myself off of them when I no longer needed them. And I say, take whatever meds you need to stay sane. People who do not have pain like we do (such as the doctors and some friends and family) don't understand about the meds, but thankfully now you have us on the board to talk to.

Take care,

Jessica
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

With FMS, we feel pain much more than do "normal" people. My doctor believes that this is because our sleep cycle is not normal. There has been research to validate this belief. My doctor has a regimen that seems to really help me, plus I've learned that there are some things that I have to do as well.

Here is what I take: two Ultracet, 1200 mg Neurontin, and 40 mg of Celexa in the early evening before bedtime. This combination has helped me get good nights sleep for sometime. Prior to taking this combination, I couldn't recall when I dreamed last. Now, I dream nearly every night. In addition to the two Ultracet at night, I take two Ultracet in the AM. This helps me to get through most of the day without bad pain.

I also have myofascial pain, and for that, the doctor has prescribed other pain relievers.

What I would recommend is focusing on trying to get good sleep to decrease sensitivity to pain and then go from there.

What I do for myself is to try to make sure I don't "overdo"; otherwise, I can get into a real flare. This means sticking to a routine. Also, I don't overload my system with any harmful substance; i.e. alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, etc. These are all "stressors", and very harmful to us.

The next thing I do is I keep a "diary" of sorts about my symptoms, what helps, what doesn't, and I try to be open and honest with my doctor. That's not always easy for patients to do because we want the doctors to do or prescribe something for us to help.

I hope that this helps.

Jeannette
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was on 30 mg of MS Contin twice a day last year for 9 months. It is a long acting narcotic. It worked great for pain and fibro but the side effects were too much for me. Also, I think I developed a "tolerance" and needed to increase the dose.

When it came to that point, I decided to get off it.

I am now on Subutex which I used to wean off MS Contin in May 2005. Subutex also relieves pain, but is much easier on your system. It is not common to see anyone on Subutex, a doctor has to be specially licensed to prescribe it.

The only other med I take is Tylenol. Prior to taking MS Contin, in the past I did take a small amount of Lortab and I agree it really does help. I also took Soma for muscle spasms. It also worked great.

It is good if you can do without narcotics, but you also have to consider the quality of your life and sometimes a narcotic is the only thing that helps.

6. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

worked best for me.

I was on Neurontin for about a year and that was wonderful too. I eventually weaned myself off of it because of the jittery side effects it cause me but I think the neurontin was my ticket back from the brink when I needed it.

I still occasionally take loratab when I am hurting at the point of tears.
  7. jc2jd

jc2jd New Member

Thanks everyone for your advice and please keep it coming!! I do have access to flexeril and tramadol. I usually just take these when my back acts up or I have a migraine, but I may try them for the everyday pain. I have yet to find a doc who is interested in helping me manage my pain. They are VERY stingy with the meds. My main doc gives me a max of 60 lortabs a month and very much discourages their use even for my worst pain. I'm on my last bottle and assume that he will not refill it. Very frustrating...how do they expect us to even get out of bed without help somedays is beyond me. I work full time still and am on my feet the whole 8 hours of the shift. I can barely walk when I get home at night. Needless to say, my boss does not understand what I am going through.

Thanks again everyone!!
  8. ckk

ckk New Member

hello! i have fibro, arthrits, herniated disks and just all around my back and neck have problems so, this is what i take, topomax for my migraines, and ultram for my everyday pain, and vicadin for the bad days. i try not to take too much of that though 'cause i never know when my doc will "decide" to give me a refill. hope that helps. regular over the counter pain relievers do NOTHING for me wish they would though. take care.
    ckk
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi again ....

My doctor had me take my tramadol / inbuprofen every six hours whether I was in bad pain or not. He told me not to be a hero. By taking my pain meds. on schedule, I was breaking the pain cycle.

The idea is to first break the cycle and then maybe the supplemental treatments might have a chance to work ...resulting in less need for pain meds..

He directed me in the same manner with my flexeril. If I knowingly go over board physically, then I am to start my flexeril dose ( very small amt.) every six hours for about 36 hours in attempt to halt the muscle spasms before they get a chance to cause real pain/damage.

His theories are working for me. However slowly, LOL !

I am taking less pain meds. ... still on a schedule, just spread out over a longer time. If need be, I can always go back to my original dosing schedule.

I hope this helps some. Timing and scheduling for these illnesses is tricky, yet essential for the most positive outcome. Sometimes I long for easier times. Then I remember my blessings and get over it. LOL

Peace,
    Elsa
  10. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I guess I have a very reasonable rheumy! I am given 4 vicodin (7.5) a day. I too am on neurontin and think it is a really great drug for me. My rheumy used to give me 3 flexeril a day and I gained 30 lbs (was 110) in a few months. When I ran out of flexeril, I didn't get it refilled for some reason??? So glad I didn't as the weight fell right off and I knew where the weight came from. I now take one flexeril at bedtime. My weigh is stable with the 1 pill. I am also given robaxin 3 x day for muscle spasms (it's not very strong). He gives me 1 klonopin at bed, which helps me sleep, too. I usually take simply sleep (OTC), also.

My shrink gives me effexor XR 150 mg at bed and we are trying wellbutrin in the am for energy--none yet, but only on second week.

The books I have read suggest that we are not helped by meds like acetemenophin, ibuprofen, and naproxin. I believe it is suggested that they have no effect since we have no swelling. I would say they just hurt our tummies. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know how long you have been on neurontin, but it seems like I noticed something different about me after 3 or 4 mos. I thought about it and realized it had to be the neurontin. It doesn't work on contact, it is cumulative. I would fight if they took it away from me!

HTH, take care of yourself.
  11. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Your Dr. has given you good advice about narcotics. If you can control the pain with neurontin and tramadol (ultram), you will be in a much better position. I say this because when I first developed this after a hysterectomy, I was on vicoden. After a few months I found that I was taking more and more for less and less relief.

When my Dr. told me that I needed to get off the vicoden I was really MAD! I had done some reseach on this board and found that a lot of people were using tramadol or ultram. I asked for that. It has worked so well for me along with the neurontin that I already was taking. Neither alone seems to work the same.

I have not had to change my dose in over a year and I am not taking the maximum dose. The thing you have to remember about tramadol is that it takes a good hour and 1/2 to start working as your body has to metabolize it first. It is not quick (as in 1/2 hour) acting. So the advice to use it in a maintenance dose type of thing is a good suggestion.

Dr.s usually do not have a problem prescibing it either, so that is another plus. With narcotics you run into the problem of Dr.s not being comfortable prescribing them for long-term.

Of course, tramadol does not work for everyone. If your pain is particularly severe as a lot have on this board, it might not do much for you. But, you might want to give it a shot and see if it works for you. Ask your Dr. to let you try it. It is also pretty cheap as it is a generic drug now.

Boy, I sound like an ad for tramadol! Really, it has made a big difference in my pain level.

Take care, Sally
  12. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

Hi, you will find what works for other people may not work for you, you just try the med out and see. For me I take Ulltam 50mg 2tabs every eight hours, Neurontin 600 mg 3tabs every day, Mobic 7.5mg 1 tab every 12 hours(you need to be careful and not take more that 15mg a day), Cymbalta 60mg 1 a day and Lortab 7.5mg/500 not more 4 tabs a day.

At times I will still have pain, especially if I am in a flare, but nothing like was. I would not be able to function and work if I didn't take these meds.

Good luck in your searching for what works for you.

Karen
  13. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

Hi, I take 50mg elivil, sonata, celexa, soma daily, and peracet and lortab for the bad pain. I also have severe osteo and disc problems. I am having MRI from neck to butt on the 1st. Need to see what is going on with my spine...
    I say take whatever works for you, and sometimes you need to change things around, or quit some meds and take others. Sleep is very important, and a good nights sleep can and does make all the difference.
    I dont care what I have to take to stop the pain... as long as I can function, I take it.
    Hugs, RRSBABy
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

What works best for my fibro pain is:

Neurotin - helps with the fibro pain
    Cymbalta - helps with the fibro pain
    Zanaflex - at bedtime for sleep

I have Lortab to take for back pain, when needed. When I do take it, it helps my back but does nothing for the fibro pain.
  15. Bambi

Bambi New Member

meds DID work for me! I used to have such a high pain tolerance but it just did a complete turn around a few years ago and now a splinter will feel like someone drove a railroad
    nail into me!

I've had good pain control for 5 years with the stronger pain meds and have been able to function better and better, and a lot better in the last year as I have been able to add more
    exercise and activity. Now the new insurance wants to cut off my meds cold turkey and it's a both frightening and very sad idea to me. Not only will I have to endure whatever withdrawl there is but knowing that what is waiting is pain
    from hell and NO functioning is worse!
  16. jc2jd

jc2jd New Member

Thank you again all. Some of the meds you are mentioning I have tried. Others I've never heard of and will research.

Cybalta I did try and it messed with my head so bad the I had to go off of it. I don't know if it was because I was switching from Zoloft or what but all I did was bawl on that med! I also tried a little experiment last week and went off of the Neurontin. VERY BAD IDEA!! I didn't think it was helping, but man...I got sicker than a dog without it. I've only been on it for about a month so maybe I will continue to improve on it!

Thanks again all....if I find a wonder drug..I will let u know!! LOL!!!