Pain meds???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klee4au, Nov 17, 2005.

1. klee4au

klee4au New Member

What do you recommend? I just hurt all over. Well, it's more of an ache. Do I just continue to take Aleve twice a day or should I ask for something stronger. I can't take anything during the day that will make me sleepy, as I work full time out of the home. I already take Relafen, which is an anti-inflammatory for my joint pain, but it does nothing for the musle aches.

~Katie
  2. mrafirst

mrafirst New Member

Hi, Katie,

I don't know if it will help you, but I have used Ultracet, which is a non-narcotic pain reliever. I also work and need pain relief that won't interfere with my concentration. I can take up to 8 pills per day. It was prescribed by a pain management doc. It does contain tylenol, so hopefully your stomach can tolerate it. I spent several years supporting the folks who make Advil and Aleve, so I know what you are talking about. Perhaps you can discuss this with your doc.

Mary Rose
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I was put on the med Arthrotec, which is a NSAID and a stomach med. I have to get them separately because it is cheaper for me to do that as they are both generics.

I take Lortabs for pain, usually just a 10/500 mg. pill once a day. If I am in a flare, I will take 2 a day or possibly 3 if I need to go that far.

I couldn't take Relafen as it tore up my stomach. I have had good success with the Arthrotec helping that over all burning/aching.

My doc won't let me take Aleve or Advil because I'm already on a NSAID (the Arthrotec).

Ultram didn't help my pain at all. I've tried a lot of meds and finally got the right combo for me. You can check my profile.

Hugs,
    Faye
    The Lortabs give me energy and don't make me tired at all. But it can be different for different people.[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

You mentioned joint pain so I'm guessing you have artritis? I ask because I remember many moons ago being put on bextra for early possible ostioarthritis and had very little relief.

Not long afterwards was diagnosed with CFS/FM. I too hate anything that can possible make me drowsey or more stupid then this illness already does. I have turned down more then I can list just for that purpose. Flat out refused any AD treatment for pain or sleep. I have had all the AD side effects I am going to suffer through the years and usually for "nothin" reasons. IE PMS ...

I take tramadol 50mgs 2 tabs every 6 hours. I add 600mgs to 800mgs of ibuprofen to that treatment plan. I have a rx for flexeril (muscle relaxer) but I don't take it .... really an AD and I can't handle some of those side effects.

Anyway, adding a muscle relaxer right after times of overdoing it and at small doses every 4-6 hours kind of stops the overworked muscles from spasming in the first place ... A big plan to make sure the cycle of pain stays somewhat broken.

Tramadol has a lovely added benefit of "lifting" me up somewhat. It doesn't make me sleep at all. It truly is a wonderful rx for chronic pain.

My hat's off to you .. I can't even think of the days of otc aleve, tylenol, etc without cringing from the remembered pain. I'd rather take continual pain cycle -breaking rx'es then step down to otc only pain treatment.

Hope I have given you some ideas for your possible treatment and that you feel great tonight and throughout the holidays ...

Take care,

Elsa

[This Message was Edited on 11/18/2005]
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Ask your doc for samples of Ultram or Ultracet. They both are non-narcotic pain relievers and that it what a good many docs give for fibro because they don't believe that narcotic pain meds work on fibro.

I forget what the differene is between Ultram and Ultracet. The generic name for one of them is Tramadol.

6. elsa

elsa New Member

Hey,

Ultram is the brand name for tramadol and Ultracet is tramadol mixed with tylenol. I started with the ultracet and interestingly this one did make me alittle groggy.

Somehow, removing the tylenol and just having straight tramadol increased my pain benefit and switched from being a bit groggy to getting that "lift" I mentioned earlier.

I have heard some mention that you get a tad more tramadol with it when is's alone then when mixed with tylenol, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe one of our pharmacist people can answer that one.

Elsa
  7. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Elsa,

you referred to flexeril saying it was really an AD. I don't see that in the info Ive read. I'm allergic to SSRIs, but I'm okay with the tricyclic amitriptyline... so I watch that stuff closely, and I understand where you're coming from.

But (and I'm no pharmacist) when I read up on cyclobenaprine i don't see anything blatant or any little red flags saying this is in the AD class....

Why is this medication prescribed?Return to top
    Cyclobenzaprine, a muscle relaxant, is used with rest, physical therapy, and other measures to relax muscles and relieve pain and discomfort caused by strains, sprains, and other muscle injuries.

This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

How should this medicine be used?Return to top
    Cyclobenzaprine comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It usually is taken two to four times a day. Do not take this drug for more than 3 weeks without talking to your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take cyclobenzaprine exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.

What special precautions should I follow?Return to top
    Before taking cyclobenzaprine,

tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to cyclobenzaprine or any other drugs.
    tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking or have taken within the last 2 weeks, especially medications for depression, seizures, allergies, coughs, or colds; MAO inhibitors [phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate)]; sedatives; sleeping pills; tranquilizers; and vitamins.
    tell your doctor if you have an overactive thyroid gland, heart disease, glaucoma, or difficulty urinating.
    tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking cyclobenzaprine, call your doctor immediately.
    you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how cyclobenzaprine affects you.
    remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
    What should I do if I forget a dose?Return to top
    Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed one.

What side effects can this medication cause?Return to top
    Although side effects from cyclobenzaprine are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

drowsiness
    dry mouth
    dizziness
    upset stomach
    If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

severe skin rash
    swelling of the face or tongue
    difficulty breathing or swallowing
    irregular heart rate
    chest pain
    fever
    seizures

I'm VERY tolerant of meds sometimes. I can take 20 mgs of flex and not be sleepy or dopey (Grumpy or Sneezey, maybe! LOL)

<I'm embarrassed to even say how many meds I'm on>

Anyhoo....if you can tell me how you know this is an AD, please do.

Thanks!

8. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) works, chemically, a lot like the tricyclic antidepressants -- it inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin. However, it is generally prescribed as a muscle relaxant.

A lot of drugs for pain work on the same neurotransmitter systems as the antidepressants (Ultracet/Ultram is a good example.) Whether a drug is called a pain reliever or an antidepressant has mostly to do with how the drug is to be marketed, and how it was tested clinically ....

Here's a link with info:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050201/483.html
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Katie:
    For me: Ultram 50mg. is a wonderful pain medicine and for muscle relexant: Flexeril. Not being a doctor or in the medical field I'd check with a doctor. Maybe you do need something more than Aleve, another good medicine.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

Hey Braingonebad .... (Love the name!)

I'm sorry it took a while to get back to you and your questions on flexeril.

It is fairly easy to google it for more information ... these are some of the places I have found in the past that go into more flexeril detail. ...

Medicine net, Dr.Pellegrino, cfs-news, efibro, Devin Starlanyl and FDA-NIH Fibromyalgia conference.

For the most part, muscle relaxers are not a "class" of drugs, but rather a group of different drugs that each has an overall sedative effect on the body. "Muscle relaxent" is a very broad term and refers to a variety of structurally unrelated medications.

Flexeril, devloped in the 60's and 70's by Merck was approved by the FDA in 1978. It shares structural and pharmcological similarities with elavil ...(amitriptyline).

Flexeril is a Tricyclic AD similar to elavil with muscle relaxant qualities. This medicine reaches it's maximum effect after 1-2 weeks.

Other examples of tricyclics used in treatment of fibromyalgia are sinequan, nortriptyline and trazodone.

From D.Starlanyl ... Being chemically similar to elavil, flexeril sometimes stops some spasms and tightness in muscles. It can cause gastro problems, feelings of detachment from life, dry mouth and weight gain ... shares these side effects with elavil.

She goes on to say that when you are taking cyclobezaprine it is especially important that your healthcare provider know if you are taking any of the following ... alcohal, CNS depressants, Tricyclic AD's.

Flexeril has antocholinergic properties ... and as with other tri AD's, withdrawal symptoms of nausea, headache, and malaise have been reported with abrupt cessation.

For me, flexeril did make me feel like an overcooked noodle, but I felt more drugged then relieved from spasms.

I really hit the roof when I found I was actually taking one of the older Tri AD's ... the more I read, the more I understood that very few muscle relaxers actually effect muscles directly and actually target that muscle's spasming.

I think I have reached the decision just to leave off muscle relaxers altogether.

It has helped many people, but it is not the drug for me. I took very, very small occasional doses and still felt six feet under and carrying an extra 6 lbs in less then 1 month. I wish it was different for me ... but you know the world famous fibro saying ... what rx works great for patient A, will be a horrible experience for patient B.

I hope this helps with some of your flexeril questions.

Take care,

Elsa
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

It is one of the few meds I can't take and you canld not apy me to take it ever again. It gave me panic attacks and made me so sick to my stomache and did nothing for the apin I was in. Stadol was another that I can't take but it works great for others.
    NO I am not a doctor or nurse. I was a dental Assistant for almost 20 years so I had to know what the pain meds were becasue I was the one that was writing them for the doctor . HE told me what he wanted the patient to take and I would write the script. But after he had signed them and given them to the patient I would get so what is this? What is it going to do? Will it make me sleepy? And I would run back to the dentist and ask him and finally he haned me the PDR so that what I would know about them.

So I know alot about pain meds and antibotics too. And I have had so many different kinds of pain meds through out my life that I wanted to know what they did too. But it makes me sound like I know more than I need to.

But there are many different kinds of pain meds and it is best that you ask your doctor what is best for you and your contiditon. And if they meds don't work right or you don't like how they work tell your doctor about it and you and he will be ablae to work it out to find the best medicatation for you.

HUgs to all,
    Rosemarie