Pain Meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bjot, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Bjot

Bjot New Member

Hi ...
    If there is anyone here that takes darvocet for your pain could you please tell me if it would be safe to take for a length of time and maybe how much.
    I have been taking it for a short while now, with Neurontin and it seems to help but wears off in a few hours and the pain continues on, bad!
    What next?

Thanks in advance!
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Hi!

I have taken Darvocet before, for a few months anyways. It has a lot of Tylenol in it, which would be the concern. It appears that it is not working as well as your pain med should, so you may want to look into something stronger, with less Tylenol in it. Darvocet is one of the weakest of the pain meds. I also take Neurontin, but I can't tell any difference when I take it.

Good luck!
    Leanne
  3. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I took Darvocet for years when I use to have really bad pms. LIke someone else said, it isn't the strongest of meds for our type of pain.

I now take Oxycodone 7.5 mg. which isn't very strong but it works. Also, I've noticed with most of us with chronic pain, the meds don't last the normal 4 hours or 6 hours they say on the bottle.

I'm like a clock, at 3 hours, my pain has worn off.

Sandy
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I did take Oxycodone. Eventually I had to change due to reaching the limit of Tylenol I could safely take.
    I'm not sure there IS a safe level, who does know? Neurontin did absolutely zilch for me and then I found out you shouldn't take it if you had childhood seizures which I did.

I guess I am a broken record but the only thing I would stay as far away from as I can get is NSAIDS of any shape or form. They DO help with pain
    but they are NOT safe on a long term
    basis no matter what you do.

I would suggest you read an article on this site by Steve Fantos, a doctor that has a clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona and is well respected in his field. He tells the
    truth about meds in the article I read at least and is for a multi faceted program. Only you can decide what you will put into your body and the BEST thing you can do is read, read, read and read some more on all the alternatives. Good luck!
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Has never done anything for me. I take hydrocodone for pain. Not on a daily basis, but I would if I needed too!

Good luck,

Kim