Pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dan0248, May 14, 2006.

1. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

One of my daughters has told me about a pain med she takes that is a little easier on the system. It's called Ultram or the generic brand name of tramedol. Have any of you all tried this one. I try to hold off taking anything until it gets just close to the boiling point. We have / live on 4 acres in the country setting and most of its grass so there is a lot of yard work and I do 90% of it. My point is I do not have very many down days where I can just put my feet up. My wife gets after me about needing to slow down almost everyday, what ya going do. The yard needs a lot of maintenance and things take me 4 times as long to do anything.
  2. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

I had a serious bad sinus infection, and nothing would make my face/head quit hurting.So, the dr. told me to take 2 Tramadol with the Lortab I already had when the face/head pain was at its worst and that combo is the only combo that will ease the severe sinus pain in my head/face when I get real sick like that. It really impressed me as a new med I had never had before. LOL Carla
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

But they onley way you will know if it will work for you is to try it. No two of us are the same nor do we react to medications the same way. What will work for me does not work for some one else. Just because I won't take this stuff , does not mean that you should not.

It made me have severe painic attacks, but it should not do that to you. ON the list of bad reactions painc attacks are not listed there. But I am one of those strange people who when it comes to strange , useual reactions happen to . I am that person who will have the strange reactiont to any medication.

I have heard that it works for many out there but I just am not one of them.
    Rosemarie
  4. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

works for me, I take 50mg every morning.
  5. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I wished it had worked. Ultram was the first pain medication my rheumy gave me many yrs. ago. It did NOTHING at all for me.(I don't just have FM though)
    Vicodin was the ONLY med. that helped.I have taken handfuls of other meds. before I got Vicodin though.
  6. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I take 100 mg every 6 hours. When I really hurt I take it with vicodin, I find it really helpful. I also don't have any side effects from it.
  7. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I take 75 mg every 8 hours and it basically controls my pain unless I am in a flare and then I add 1/2 of a 7.5 vicoden to it. I can keep myself relatively pain-free if I don't push too much.

I do have a suggestion. I also have 4 acres in the country, and if I had to mow it, I would move! My husband does all the mowing and doesn't want to move from here, but he forgets that I have to do the flower beds and also clean the house and it is too big for me now and too much work. I want to move to a condo, so we are having a big dilemma right now!

You may find down the road that it is not worth it to you to be in pain all the time and keep up your property. You might want to consider down-sizing. I would like to, but hubby is the problem right now!

Take care, Sally
  8. patches25

patches25 New Member

My dad took that for his arthritis, got up to go to bathroom at night, and ended up falling into the shower and breaking his back. There are some risks with some of these drugs so be careful when starting anything new. E.
  9. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

And I know from experience that Ultram doesn't go well with some of the older Tricyclic antidepressants like Imipramine, which is the same as Tofranil. I had used it when it first came out and then they started saying it gave side effects like seizure's!! Which I found out a little too late, as I had one and had no idea what had just happened to me. Very scary to say the least. But both of these medications can work very well with pain and depression. So of course I have stayed on the Imipramine, but only the 10 mgs once a day. Anything higher and I have heart palpitation's, just another side effect that I have to deal with like other drugs, but its worth staying on it in my case.

So, all and all, I have found that I have no choice but to take a narcotic type medication to control the pain, like Lorcet and something stronger for bad flair ups which right now I have alot of them as I'm still coming to terms with having this terrible disease.

I hope you can find the relief you so need and good luck with trying to slow down as difficult as it is. I'm also new to this, but slowly learning that is what will work for me and helps me with my pain levels.
    All the best..
    Shelby
  10. mainerose

mainerose New Member

all the years i have taken them i ahve had no side effects. i have been on it for 8 years, i take 50mg. 4 times a day. it does not work on my fibro it does work on my arthritis and deg joint des. i take hydrocodone for my fibro and all og my other conditions.

i hope this helps you if i can do any thing else or give you more info. i can tell you that it does not hurt my stomach. i had a gastric-by-pass so my stomach is very sensitive.

if i can give you any more info please feal free to ask. my love toyou
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

I just started taking tramadol and it works really well on me. It gets rid of the pain for a few hrs. I take 50mg as needed for pain. I don't take them everyday, but only the days I am having more pain than usual. It has been a lifesaver for me. Hope it works for you.

Krket
  12. janieb

janieb New Member

I take 100 mg of Tramadol every two hours. Most of the time it does the job. Once in a while I need a third one. If I forget to take until it's too late, it doesn't do the trick. This is the ONLY pain medication that has worked for me in 10 years. I'm not giving it up and don't see any side effects. I take xanax for sleep.
  13. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I have to take the Soma 500 mg at bedtime for my muscles to relax and the Hydroco/APAP 325M for pain when I need it. I have Restlessleg Syndrome so I take Requip 5mg at bedtime for that. Sometimes the pain meds do some good and sometimes they don't seem to have and affect on my pain at all.

TxSongBird
  14. Treca

Treca New Member

I take 100mg every 4 hours. It works very well for me, but like some have said in other posts you can't wait until the pain becomes to much. If you do that then it's like you never took the tramadol at all.

The doc that Dx me always told me don't ever let your pain get out of hand. Always take your meds on time and don't wait until you feel pain. The point of taking the meds is to stop the pain so you can live your life.

I have had no side effects of any kind on this med. Though of course everyone is different.

I know what it's like to live on a lot of acre's. Family has a 10 acre farm and they had to put trees in the field because the upkeep was so much. They got the trees for free and a guy came out to plant them for free, but they paid him something anyway for all the hard work he did. That was a very big field to plant the trees by hand. Now they don't have to much to tend to. Though it's still rough on them. They have a Kabota tracker that does a lot of the work and of course the riding lawn mowers.:)

You may want to talk to your doctor and see if this med is right for you and give it a try. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

Good luck to you!
    Treca
  15. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

dan i have 40 illnesses icluding me,cfs,fms,sygrens syndrome,ibs,myofacial pain syndrome,sleep apnea,restless leg syndrome,blurred vision,migraines,restless leg syndrome.
    Light intolerance,asthma,allergic rhinitis,severe depression & the list goes on & on.
    The reason ive typed all the illnesses is coz i take pain killers which affect quite alot of my illnesses.
    I was dx 10 years ago & ive tried lots of different pain killers over the years.
    I now take tramadol & have done for about a year ufortunately i had all the side effects which believe me are very unpleasant.
    But were all different you will need to try them to see if they work.
    Fibrolady37.
  16. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Was one of the first pain meds I tried and didn't help the pain at all. It did make me so confused I couldn't drive to the bank without making two corrections and the bank is very close to me.

I'm on Lortabs for pain and I have found that Arthrotec helps too. I have to get it as Diclofenac and Cytotec due to insurance, but I take 100 mg. of Diclofenac and 200 mcg. of Cytotec after dinner. That really seems to help my back problems. I don't know if my back problems are from FMS or what, but I've had them for years.

I recently cut back on Diclofenac to 50 mg. a night and was hurting worse, so upped it back up to 100 mg. and am feeling less pain. For some reason that really helps me.

Hope you feel better. :)

Hugs,
    Faye