Pain Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by julesjz, Sep 1, 2006.

1. julesjz

julesjz New Member

What have you taken for pain that has helped? I'm desperate! I'm going to find a new doctor soon and I want to be armed with information on what works for others. Doctors don't seem to understand the significance of the pain we go through. Thanks for any help.
  2. dottiann

dottiann New Member

nothing much helps. wish i could say something else,
    i have a wonderful dr. and his is keeping me on my feet til i can afford to retire. he tries but you have to be careful. I have been on tylenol 4's for ages then on to vicodin es , then norco, and now norco plus kadian, this in conjunction with antiinflams, anti spasmotics and more
    nothing really helps at the end of the day. Rest works best, but you lose your mind sitting around. Its a mental game, you have to keep your head straight most of all.
    I hate it but i get by
    dot
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I don't mean to discourage you, but you might want to proceed with caution when requesting pain meds from a doctor. Most doctors I've seen do not look kindly upon any requests for pain meds.

Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that what works for one person may not work for another.

I don't know about medical care in your area, but if you are switching doctors, try to find someone who is really familiar with FMS and sympathetic to your need for pain relief. I just read another one of your posts and I can see that you have had negative experiences. It might help to take a list of the medicines that you've tried and have not worked. Also, be prepared to describe your pain to the doctor, i.e. burning, stabbing, etc. Lyrica is the latest med that some doctors are promoting for FMS pain. It is for nerve pain. It did not help me, but it does help some.

Lolalee
  4. dottiann

dottiann New Member

so much as to do with how you approach the dr. and how the dr, is. a great many are very little help. Lyrica and Cymbalta are used now one is seritonin uptake med is and the other is lind of a super neurontin, my dr. is cutting edge, but he has laid out very definite limits on the meds.
    Description is very important, i agree, monitor yourself and do a pain journal(how, where and what kind of pain) it's invaluable and helpful that in addition to you previous med history is essential plus be sure you have any tests and know your previous dr's/
    prepared is best, they take you seriously, or more seriously
    good luck
    dot
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I am currently on Vicodin ES once every 6 hours for pain. I also take Cymbalta for pain and Zanaflex for muscle spasms at bedtime.

This combination seems to be working pretty well. Although when I go back to see my rheumy I am going to request Norco 10 mg. because the Vicodin 7.5 dont work as well and I am weary of the amount of tylenol in them.

I used to be on the Fentanyl Duragesic Patch 25mcgs. It was the only thing that ever took my pain away. But this time around I want to start on less serious narcotics.

Hugs,
    Stephanie