Pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by andysmom, Sep 10, 2006.

1. andysmom

andysmom New Member

Hi, can anyone tell me what the best thing for me to take for my fm ? My dr says that pain meds is not going to help and wants me to do physical therapy. I start a new job tomorrow on 12 hr shifts and will not be able to do p.t. Can anyone give me suggestions on what I can take for my pain since my dr is not willing to give me anything. I have thought about a pain clinic, but my insurance doesn't cover and I cannot afford to do it on my own. I need some help please !!!
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

First of all, let me start by saying that not everyone needs pain meds to control the pain. But some do...me included.

Will your doc offer you non-narcotic meds, or is he totally agaisnt giving you ANY meds at all? If he only wont give you narcotics, I would suggest Ultram. It is a non-narcotic pain killer that has helped alot of people, more than some narcotics.

There are also many other types of meds out there that arent pain meds that can help the pain of fibro such as ADs, tricyclic ADs, muscle relaxants (but im not sure if your doc would rx them if he wont narcotics).

I would suggest switching doctors. He/she is obviously not addressing your pain sufficiently. They are suppose to treat your pain by law as far as I know. They cannot let you suffer. Do yourself a favor and find a doc that knows what they are doing. It took me 7 years to find the right doc!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2006]
  3. toughone

toughone New Member

The only advice I can give you is find a new doctor, ASAP.
    Doctors who don't have Fibro,or refuse to have an open mind about the severity of the disease and its pain, should not be practicing medicine. To say that pain meds won't help is ridiculous--they will help to a certain extent. They don't realize that taking a med that AT LEAST takes the edge off is a welcome relief to most of us. I can't imagine living with this pain and not being able to take the edge off.

There are compassionate doctors out there. I found one and I'm sure you can, too. Find someone who cares about your quality of life.

Good luck to you, andysmom, my thoughts are with you...

Bonny
  4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Andysmom:

No one should have to suffer. If your doctor will not give you pain meds (non-narcotic or narcotic) than you need to find another doctor. You might not have to go to a pain clinic...a GP should be able to address your pain from FMS. Have you tried NSAIDs like motril/advil? Muscle relaxers may help, but not sure about taking them while working. You might be able to take them after work, and therefore get more restorative sleep. If your doctor will not work with you, then you need a new one.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  5. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi andysmom, I agree with the others.....it's time to find another doctor.

Even though I don't enjoy taking meds I take a narcotic pain reliever because I need it to get through each day.

Good Luck on your new job and remember to take care of yourself first.

Love & Hugs!
  6. joanng

joanng New Member

Thanks for bumping blueseat23! I've tried antidepressants, neurological meds and pain meds. The neurological meds helped for awhile but after trying many different combo's I think I'm settled with percoset for the pain, zanaflex for the tight/painful muscles and during the day, valium for the muscles, and motrin too. The zanaflex can be too strong when I'm in work. I was just going to respond to the post about 'still working full-time' and I didn't want to sound disrespectful but I almost laughed....I don't have a choice. I have 3 kids in college and my husband works part-time. So in order to work full-time and put up a good front at being responsible, reliable and knowledgeable, I need my meds. Yes, I think I do take off more that others in the group but I also make up the time when I'm there. Pain meds are the only thing that enable me to get out the door and make the paycheck sometimes. Believe it or not, there are times I'm ashamed of this but then again, I do other things to try to ease my pain like yoga, supplements and spending some relaxing time walking my dog. It all helps but without the meds, I would be stuck in bed and no one would get anywhere (sometimes literally!). Find a doctor who is knowledgeable, and who is willing to trust you and allow you to get relief.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I read your bio and and see that you are new! WELCOME!!!

I also read your first message and saw where your new job is going to be a police dispatcher and that you can not take any narcotics. That's understandable when working in the police department!!! LOL

I also read that you were taking Ambien and staying sleepy all day--that might be why!--the Ambien is giving you that hangover effect.

I think someone else has already mentioned Ultram, which is a non-narcotic pain reliever. You might discuss this with your doctor.

Also, Elavil is often prescribed at night to help with fibro. It can be very sedating, too. I was really sensitive to it--my doc put me on the "baby" dose of 10 mg, and it put me asleep for 24 hours!! Ugh! I ended up cutting the 10 mg tablet into fourths in order to find the amount that I could take and still be able to go to work the next day.

Each person has to find out what his/her body can tolerate. But, I wouldn't start any new med on a work night! I would wait until you did not have to work the next day.

I take Neurotin and Cymbalta for my fibro and they both help me a lot. I also take Zanaflex at night since it is very sedating.

Both may make you sleepy at first--according to the dosage prescribed.

If your office has a published list of meds that are not allowed, you may want to check it prior to discussing new meds with your doc.

Good luck on your new job, and I hope you find something that works for you.

Janet