Pain Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by barbinindiana, Sep 15, 2006.

1. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I have such awful pain in my upper back, mid back, shoulders and neck when I play piano. It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes to get in pain. If I push it to 1/2 hour the pain is unbearable.

I wish my doctor would give me a medicene that would allow me to play the piano without pain. Maybe there isn't anything that would help. Nothing I'm be given so far helps.

I've even tried Vicodin 750, and it didn't help. There is so much I can't do because of pain. If I could just play the piano for 45 minutes to a hour a day, it would make me so happy.

Doesn't anyone here know of a medicene that would help me with this pain?

Barb
  2. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

They sound like muscle spasms to me. I have a similar problem sitting at the computer, I suppose it is a similar action really. I take diazepam for it, although it is an antidepressant, it gets rid of muscle spasms, by relaxing the muscles, it really works. I think you may call diazepam in some countries valium.
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

Do your muscles knot rock hard & the pain stays & stays & eventually gets so bad you cant stand it? If so it sounds like myofascia (MPS).

I have it in both shoulders. Been going to therapy for it the last couple weeks. They tell me mine are so bad they may never get them to completely release. I have neck & shoulder pain all the time & just a few minutes at the computer flares it up.

Hot moist heat & massage is about all that helps me. Pain meds & muscle relaxers don't touch it.

Try moist heat before playing the piano & see if it'll lengthen the time you can play.

Toy
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Someone mentioned it may be Myofacial Pain. If that is the case, my Rheumy told me there is no amount of morphine he could give me that would help.

He said that TP injections would help. Perhaps you could look into that if it is MPS.

stephanie
  5. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

and the only thing that helps me is exercise. I had gone to physical therapy, had massages and even trigger point injections. I finally found a physical therapist who helped me. He explained that when you sit at a computer all day you are always hunched forward. Eventually the muscles in your back become weaker than the ones in front. He showed me some simple exercises to do everyday that help a lot.

I always slack off when I feel better, so it comes back and then I start up again. Anyway, what you do is lay face down on the floor with a small pillow for your forehead so you aren't laying on your face, (he,he). You put your arms straight up, and lift your arms up from the floor just an inch. Try to work up to doing this 20 times. That's the hard one, so do that one first. I think I did about 5 reps the first time.

Then put your arms out to the side and bent up. Lift up your arms an inch and put back down. Do 20 of these. Finally, arms straight down at your sides and lift up 20 times.

I thought, "No way is this going to work!" I had untreated RA at the time and just getting down on the floor and getting back up again just about killed me. But after a week of just once a day, it got easier and pretty soon I felt great. I did do twice a day sometimes and some days not at all, but it really worked.

Another thing he said was as soon as I started to feel the pain at the computer, to stop, get up and stretch and be sure and try to hold my shoulders back and sit up straight.

I hope this helps you. I know you won't believe me, but if you're desperate enough maybe you'll try it. I hope you will!
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Barb,

I know EXACTLY the pain you are describing! I experienced pain in these areas when doing computer work while I was still working. I would take 600 mg of Motrin every 4 hours at work, but the pain never went away. I am retired now, thank goodness, but I still have this pain when typing at the computer -- like now!!

The pain would be so bad by the time that I got home, I would immediately sit down and put ice packs between my shoulder blades, and a bag of frozen peas on my neck, to numb the pain. Heat would only make it throb worse--the ice would numb the pain and work much better than pain pills.

Right after retirement (6 years ago), I finally had some CT scans taken of my cervical spine (neck) as well as my thorasic and lumbar spine, too. An MRI would have been the best, but I couldn't get one because I have a pacemaker.

I found out that I had a lot of problems in my neck and mid-back (degenerative disks, bulging disks, thecal sac effacement, bone spurs, paramedian disk herniation, moderate spinal canal stenosis, compression of exiting nerve root, severe cervical spondylosis, facet arthropathy, and arthritis). So, I had reason for the pain!

I have gone to many trips of physical therapy which have helped. For one thing, they will show you different exercises to strengthen your neck muscles, etc. I do these exercises daily which helps cut down on *some* of the pain.

If you haven't had any scans done, you may want to discuss this option with your doctor.

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Thanks to everyone who cared enough to answer my post. Abbycat, I'm going to start doing the exercises you told me about.

I know that they will cause me pain in the beginning, but if they will help me down the road with the pain, it will be worth it.

I've had bad experiences in the past with PT, so I'm not to crazy about trying it again, but if I'm not able to get better doing exercises on my own, I may give it another try.

It's been several years since I tried PT, so maybe they've learned alot about FM since then.

Thanks Again.

Barb
  8. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Barb,
    I'm so sorry the pleasure of playing the piano has been taken from you due to the excruciating pain you get!
    I would recommend a combination of trigger point injections, stretches, rest, and oxycodone, a long acting opiate.

Best of luck.
    I understand your pain and sorrow.
    Mini
  9. forfink

forfink New Member

I also feel that valium is the best drug for my own personal pain too. But I try to take it so sparingly because it is suppose to interfere with our stage 3 and 4 sleep cycles. And makes me more tired....

I use tramadol for the basic pain, and then when the shoulders, back, and neck hurt horribly I resort to the Valium. 5 to 10 mgs. a day. Do you find this simalar dose works for you? Been doing this for 20 years, unfortunately.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2006]
  10. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

Barb - I hate PT too. I've been three times for this and they had me doing things that were more hurtful than helpful.

I have more things you can do just during the day that help too. Sitting at the computer you can put one arm straight up, next to your ear and then just let it bend naturally. Then stretch to the side opposite your arm. Let gravity pull you over. You'll feel a stretch in the bothersome muscles by leaning forward or back slightly. Don't try just let yourself relax. Do this a few times with a rest between tries.

You should feel a tingling sensation in that tight muscle after a few tries and that signals that the blood is flowing to that area. Sit up straight in the chair and try to relax and feel your shoulders dropping down for a few minutes. YOu won't believe how sore this can make you feel, especially if you are really tense, but it feels really good.

I have a lot more stretches and strengthening and massage techniques to try. If I did more of the strengthening ones I would still have this problem, but I don't and I spend all my time working at a computer.

I'm motivated to develop some exercises for that. Things you can do in the car or at your desk. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Abbycat
  11. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

Sounds like ultram(muscle relaxer) combo with a pain med will help. I have used and tried a lot. Right now I am on oxycoton and cymbolta which is a nerve med. I have used demeral, a slow releasing morphine pill, I have worn patches that slowly release a pain med (I forgot the name) and codine. You need to have trust with a DR that believes you and is willing to help and stretching TOO! After months for me I build up a resistance and have to switch around
    Good Luck
    Jessica
  12. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Hello there, I can take diazepam every 6 hours if I want to, but usually take approximately 4 a week. Mine are only 2 mgs, but they do make me drowsy. The medications I seem to be on, all seem low doses really, but I seem to be sensitive to them. I think if I were on 5 mgs, I would probably be in a stupor LOL. I think my diazepam interacts with my betablocker, which also had a sedative effect, as well as the tramacet (Tramadol/Paracetomol), so perhaps if I didn't have them to contend with those, then perhaps I could have a higher dose of diazepam. The muscle spasms I get, I sometimes think is more annoying than the pain. I get it in both arms, legs, middle back, along with rib pain, very bad restless legs which is a recent problem, drives me nuts, and almost everyday. When someone asks me to descibe a muscle spasm, I would describe it as being like when you are extremly cold, and shiver constantly. Do you think this is how other people with spasms feel it? Charlie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2006]
  13. forfink

forfink New Member

Wow! We pretty much have the same symptoms. Oh that tight muscle feeling in the neck, back, and shoulders. I love to work on the computer too and just get more stiff and in pain, but like a nut I never quit.
    My kids are grown also, so the demands are not as bad these day. Although I've had this for 24 years, I think when the kids were young I just put myself on autopilot and kept going. I've learned to be kinder and gentler to myself since taking up yoga and learning to love life more despite this DD. There's so many things to be thankful for, that's what keeps me going. But a cure would be wonderful!!!!!!

Also, love to garden and enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. Moving to Texas and being able to appreciate the sun and warmth every day is a plus. Some would say it's too hot, but I like it. I use to live in Cold Chicago, burrrrr.

I'm drug sensitive too. My doctor loves me. He just kids me all the time because everytime I try a new drug we have to start with baby doses. hehe But a lot of us are sensitive, that's OK.