pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brensjoy, Apr 8, 2007.

1. brensjoy

brensjoy New Member

Could someone please tell me a good pain med other than vicodin. I have been on it for two years but now its just not effective. I see my dr. tomorrow. Since this incident with anna nicole it might be harder for us in real pain to get anything new for pain.
  2. debhun

debhun New Member

Tramadol and I am very happy with it. I still get BT pain but is does a goos job on most of my pain.

Deb
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Im on loratab,darvocet, ultram flexeril and 3 muscle relaxers. Im becoming dependent. They arent working well anymore.

sorry, I wasnt much help

Suzette
  4. irishprincess

irishprincess New Member

just letting you know loratab has the same ingredient as vicodin, its both hydrocodone
  5. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I take victin when i'm in real pain,
    i also take flexrill,and lyrica,and cymbalta
    Bernadette
  6. michellesnitcher

michellesnitcher New Member

Please tell me more about this med
  7. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi brensjoy!
    If the vicodin has helped for 2 years, maybe you just need to up the dose, you didn't mention what dose you are on, but it comes in 5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg.
    i have also had it compounded in 30mg capsules.
    i used to take 10mg up to 4 times a day, but it worked much better if i took 2 in the mornig, lasted 6-8 hours, then 1 late afternoon and 1 bedtime.
    the dosage really means alot with this.
    could you try to keep a pain diary to show your doc how much relief you have and when? doc may want to put you on a long acting med (kadian, etc.) but let that be their decision--don't ask!
    it really helps them help you if they have an idea of your pain levels throughout the day for a week or so,
    good luck--L
  8. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi brensjoy - I took vicodin/Lortab for about ten years before it became less effective and my doc switched me to Oxycontin time release with lortab for breakthrough pain.
    I stayed on that for a little over a year before asking to switch to something else. I now take oxycodone and motrin which helps.

There are so many available now including Norco with less tylenol, Oxycontin, Oxy IR (instant relief), Oxycodone, Percocet, Duragesic Patches, Morphine and methadone.

A few other non-narcotic meds used to treat pain are Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Mirapex, Lyrica, Tramadol, Ultram.

There are so many meds out there and everyone of us are different. Hopefully your doctor will be willing to let you find something that works for you.

Wishing you pain free days ahead!
  9. Engel

Engel New Member

I just found out today on the chat that tramadol should not be taken with wellbutrin ... why would the DR prescribe this combination???????? grrrrrrrrrrr I can't wait to get into this Rheumy (9 more days) and get rid of HER!
  10. brensjoy

brensjoy New Member

I really appreciate all the info about meds. Sometimes i get so tired of this illness. How can anyone have pain everyday from head to toe. At least i can vent to all of u ,Thanks for being there for me. Luv ya!
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If you can stand the side effects MS Contin is better than Vicoden for pain control. No, your doctor may not be interested, but you could alway ask to try it.

When I started it, it stopped all my pain cold and I was up and moving around again. I stayed on it 9 months but had to stop due to side effects I could not handle.

Many here take MS Contin and Oxycontin and do well. There are so many pain meds you can try. Sometimes with Vicoden, you need another pain med for breakthrough pain.

My mom used Darvocette for breakthrough pain.
  12. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Engel, I found out that you aren't supposed to take any ssri (anti-depressant) close to the same time that you take your pain medicine. It makes the pain medicine less effective. I take tramadol also.

It is the only pain medicine that I haven't built up a tolerance to (knock on wood :).

Andy